PDA

View Full Version : Record Clubs

GA Russell
January 14th, 2003, 10:29 AM
I have been a member of the BMG Jazz Club for six years. I have been happy with their selection and prices.

Has anyone had experience with another club he feels is better? What is your opinion of Columbia House? Is there a club with a better selection or better prices than BMG?

clifton
January 14th, 2003, 04:28 PM
BMG is a good club. I belong to Jazz Heritage, also very good. In Jazz heritage, prices range from a high of $16.99 per CD to a low of $3.74, plus shipping (about $2.35 per CD). They offer excellent prices and pretty good selection, although their most recent selections are 1-2 years old. They buy a lot of returns from record labels and sell them at substantial discounts. Also they sell very little avant-garde beyond Coltrane and the occaisional Ornette. But I bought Ornette's "Tone Dialing" from Jazz Heritage for $8.00 including shipping so I'm not really complaining.

GA Russell
January 21st, 2003, 09:21 PM
Clifton, thanks for your suggestion! I'm not familiar with Jazz Heritage, so I looked them up. I found their websaite at www.jazzheritage.com but I couldn't get past the initial list of nine albums to choose from.

Do you have the URL of the list of CDs in stock which a non-member can see?

GA Russell
February 9th, 2003, 06:28 PM
I'm topping this for Clifton.

I went to the Columbia House website today. It looks like they have dropped jazz entirely. I was surprised to see that.

I found the BMG Jazz Club to be getting stale last year. I have been a pretty contented member for six years. Nowadays almost everything is Blue Note. And nearly all of the Fantasy-family and Blue Note oldies are the same few remastered over and over again.

I have emailed BMG, suggesting artists that I think would help their sales. All are pretty standard fare, just people I haven't seen them offer. Georgie Fame, Charlie Byrd, Shelly Manne, Dave Holland, Charles Lloyd, Duke Pearson, Sam Rivers, Pharoah Sanders, Mark Murphy, Eric Kloss, Maynard Ferguson, Gerald Wilson, Walter Wanderley.

I invite those of you who are members to write them with your own suggestions!