PDA

View Full Version : Who Wrote The Barney Miller Theme

Fender Rhodes Freak
March 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
As we all know, Bob James composed the theme for the television show Taxi, but I'd like to know who composed the Barney Miller theme. In the mid 1970's, many jazz-fusion musicians began composing music for tv shows and movies. Jan Hammer even scored a Number 1 hit with his Miami Vice theme. With that opening bassline, the Barney Miller theme is the best of the bunch.

Stackabones
March 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
It's credited to Chuck Berghofer, but I've heard that it was actually Jim Hughart (who played bass on the track) who wrote it.

OnyaBirri
March 4th, 2007, 12:39 PM
According to my sources, it was written by Jack Elliott and Allyn Ferguson.

Stackabones
March 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I'm going on hearsay--so trust Onya's post!!!

Phil Kelly
March 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM
According to my sources, it was written by Jack Elliott and Allyn Ferguson.

this is correct ..however, the bass line that holds the pece together was based (?) on an improvised line played by Berghofer ..and Jack ( and/or Allyn ) came up with the horn line in the studio.. right on the spot.

OnyaBirri
March 4th, 2007, 04:36 PM
this is correct ..however, the bass line that holds the pece together was based (?) on an improvised line played by Berghofer ..and Jack ( and/or Allyn ) came up with the horn line in the studio.. right on the spot.

A further example of the grey areas existing between composition and arrangement; and between melody and accompaniment.