PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Attach Pictures?

MIKEOS
June 5th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Whenever I try, by clicking the "Insert Image" icon, all I get is a windoww something about a script prompt and "enter the text to be formatted", nothing about how to attach the picture.

Tenorman
June 5th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Hi Mikeos,

Unfortunately, because this world is full of bad guys who find it amusing to embed nasty programs in picture files, the ability to attach pictures has had to be removed. (This also reduces storage requirements and bandwidth usage by quite a bit)

What you have to do now is to "link" pictures. You can only link a picture that is already on a website, because the AAJ computer does not store the picture, only the link to it. If you are trying to show one of your own pictures, you need to publish it on a web site.

Find your picture on a web site. Right click on it and choose properties. Mark and copy (Ctrl C) the URL of the picture. Come back to AAJ reply page and click on the picture icon. Paste (Ctrl V) the URL into the box that comes up
and hit "Enter". Your picture will show once you submit the reply

Ian

PS the commands above are for a Windows based machine - they may be different on a Mac

MIKEOS
June 6th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Hi Mikeos,

Unfortunately, because this world is full of bad guys who find it amusing to embed nasty programs in picture files, the ability to attach pictures has had to be removed. (This also reduces storage requirements and bandwidth usage by quite a bit).

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear that. No such problems at the Organissimo forum, so I'll stick to that. Here's a link to one of my pix (Bud Shank) on that forum.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/uploads/post-2-1083741317.jpg

xricci
June 6th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the board!

I don't think you quite followed what T-man was saying. Attaching an image is easy and it's done all the time.

Example...

http://www.budshankalto.com/Photos/BudShank4W.jpg

The next time you post, click the INSERT IMAGE icon (the mountain) and paste in the graphic's URL.

I fixed your grapic above. To check out the [IMG] tag, click your post's EDIT button.

Mike

MIKEOS
June 6th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the board!

I don't think you quite followed what T-man was saying. Attaching an image is easy and it's done all the time.

Well I think I did! His point is that it's only possible to attach images IF they're on a website. Well, mine are either on my HD or on CDs. The link you used to post my Bud Shank pic was from another forum, which DOES allow images to be attached, directly from my computer. It seems a bit tortuous first to post my pictures to another jazz forum and only then to post the link to yours.

Thanks for the reply, but I hope you follow my reasoning. I repeat, my pictures are normally NOT on a website.

Mike

xricci
June 6th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Ok, no problem--it wasn't totally clear.

Back in September 2003 we had a server crash (someone hacked in and scrambled the data on the hard drive)--it took us two months to build a new server and restore the site. We unfortunately lost five months worth of threads, posts, and members. This was a huge drag and a real down period for all involved.

vBulletin is a great piece of software, but it is vulnerable in spots, and we had to seal off all areas that posed security risks.

Since then and thanks to the security measures taken, we've experienced zero down time.

I am working on a new visual arts system at AAJ which will allow photographers, painters and illustrators the opportunity to create art exhibits. I'm shooting for an August launch date.

I'll let you know when it's up and running.

xricci
June 6th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Mike, Most ISPs (at least in the States) give you some hard disk space with your dial up or high-speed account. You may want to look into it on your end.

You will need FTP software to upload your images. If you use Windows, I'd recommend WinSCP.

Ron Thorne
July 6th, 2004, 01:07 AM
"Pictures" can be a loaded word, so I'll rephrase my question, with the thought that something within post #6 might explain my problem.

What must we do to upload an image from our computer utilizing the Manage Attachments feature? I've tried numerous times with no success, though I'm very familiar with this vBulletin software.

Here's the error message I'm receiving, which is not really to the point:

Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

I expected to receive an error message which addressed a file size limitation, not this. What's up?

A PM would also be helpful.

Thanks.

xricci
July 6th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Hi Ron,

We haven't hosted images on the AAJ server since the crash. Everyone now links to images on other servers.

Check with your ISP. Most will give you up to 5mb of space with your service. You can then FTP the images up (to your ISP's server) and link to them there.

Mike

MIKEOS
July 6th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Like this! Doesn't always work for me, so fingers crossed

(Allan Eager)

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40c56d13_99a3/bc/4507/__sr_/e44a.jpg?phHFq6ABKA.gRYnw

Admin comment from xricci...

Mike O, The image file's URL must end in ".GIF" or ".JPG". The one of Allan Eager does not.

Ron Thorne
July 6th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Hi Ron,

We haven't hosted images on the AAJ server since the crash. Everyone now links to images on other servers.

Check with your ISP. Most will give you up to 5mb of space with your service. You can then FTP the images up (to your ISP's server) and link to them there.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

MIKEOS
July 6th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Like this! Doesn't always work for me, so fingers crossed

(Allan Eager)

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/40c56d13_99a3/bc/4507/__sr_/e44a.jpg?phHFq6ABKA.gRYnw

Admin comment from xricci...

Mike O, The image file's URL must end in ".GIF" or ".JPG". The one of Allan Eager does not.

Well it appears on the thread. At least I can see it. All I do is open my photo album, open the picture, click on "properties" and copy the URL, which is as above. Looks all right to me!

Saundra Hummer
July 6th, 2004, 07:24 PM
I think what they are saying in computer talk, is to send your pictures to a server, and send your pictures from there. I think if you have a web site, that would work, or maybe your server has that service. I don't know, can't figure it out myself, the blind leading the blind here.

Ron Thorne
July 6th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Well it appears on the thread. At least I can see it. All I do is open my photo album, open the picture, click on "properties" and copy the URL, which is as above. Looks all right to me!

To attach an image from a website, you must right click then select Copy Image Location. Then, you can insert (Ctrl+V) that complete URL in the insert image box after selecting the mountain icon http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/images/editor/insertimage.gif above the text box when posting.

As explained earlier by xricci, you may not upload images from your computer on AAJ any longer. Check with your ISP to see if you have storage space provided with your monthly service. If so, you can move your photo album(s) there and have ready access for multiple uses.

xricci
July 6th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Thanks for helping out, Ron.