PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember WRVR?

Finger Poppin'
March 18th, 2003, 03:30 PM
I live in NY. At one time we use to have a full time raido station, but anymore. I believe the last full time jazz station was WRVR FM. We do get some partime stations, such as WKCR 89.9 and WBGO. It sad to think NYC one of the premiere jazz cities is without a full time jazz station.

Brownian Movement
March 18th, 2003, 03:47 PM
I used to live in Nyack NY and could pick up WRVR. This was in the days when Ed Beach was with the station and played huge blocks of jazz morning and afternoon, but I don't remember WRVR being all-jazz. That must have come later.

ssjazz
March 18th, 2003, 03:54 PM
What cities do have a full time jazz station?

Washington DC doesn't. It does have part time WPFW (part of Pacifica, a small National network which sends political shows that WPFW carries). Also WAMU has one Jazz show remaining which is on 7-10 Saturday night. WPFW used to have somewhat more Jazz than it does now. WAMU used to have 2-3 hours per week more Jazz than it does now.

There used to be a full time Jazz station WDCU associated with University of the District of Columbia, which went away so the University could sell the FM license to meet budget shortfall.

There are times such as Saturday until 7pm, weekday mornings after 9 and weekday evenings after 9 when there is NO Jazz on the radio in DC.

Originally posted by Finger Poppin'
I live in NY. At one time we use to have a full time raido station, but anymore. I believe the last full time jazz station was WRVR FM. We do get some partime stations, such as WKCR 89.9 and WBGO. It sad to think NYC one of the premiere jazz cities is without a full time jazz station.

liamw
March 18th, 2003, 04:15 PM
I was a regular listener to WRVR in the 60s & 70s. Their music programming was pretty much all jazz, but they did a lot of other types of programming. A show called RVR Evening was a kind of pre-cursor to NPR's All Things Considered, and one of the hosts of that program (Robert Seigel) was on RVR as well. They used to do dramatic readings of the Watergate transcripts, and other entertaining stunts. Later, as I recall, they tried to be a COMMERCIAL station, but went bust.

WBGO I think plays more hours of jazz than RVR did, which makes me think there are more opportunities to hear jazz on the radio (for those who seek it out) now in NYC than ever in my memory, especially with WKCR still doinga lot of jazz programming as well.

Harold_Z
March 18th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Yeah..I remember WRVR and Ed Beach. "Riverside Radio".

Mort Fega was on there also. "The old MF'.

liamw
March 18th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Not to turn this into a New York nostalgia thread but ... does anyone remember Les Davis, who did a jazz show nightly on WNCN and on weekends on WBAI (in the 60s)? For awhile he broadcast from a record store on 5th avenue (The Record Hunter) and featured a nightly "comedy" segment with Ed Sherman, who wrote the "Out of my head" column in Downbeat.

There was also Skip Weshner who broadcast out of his apartment in Greenwich Village over WBAI. He played an odd mix of music, but a lot of jazz was in it. Nobody at all seems to remember that show.

JSngry
March 18th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Is WRVR the station that, without any advance warning or publicity, turned into a C&W station at the stroke of midnight?

I was in Texas when it happened, but I heard the howls all the way down here...

I remember a WRVR-sponsored street concert that was part of the NY Kool Festival in 1979. Billy Harper's group was coming on and a WRVR DJ was announcing them. Somebody screamed from the audience, "WE NEED TO HEAR BILLY HARPER ON WRVR!!!" When the DJ said that the station did indeed play Billy Harper, the same cat yelled out, "BESIDES WITH THAD AND MEL!!!" The audience laughed loudly and began to applaud.

Harper, who was without a US recording contract at the time, merely grinned a VERY sly grin, and proceed to play his ass off.

Harold_Z
March 18th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Jim, I think that's the one. In my earlier post I may have been remembering WEVD.

Anybody?

Harold_Z
March 18th, 2003, 05:11 PM
...And liamw, yes, I remember Les Davis. He had a great personality on air.

liamw
March 18th, 2003, 05:55 PM
"Is WRVR the station that, without any advance warning or publicity, turned into a C&W station at the stroke of midnight?"

That's what happened, though as I recall there were a lot of warning signs before it actually did. The attempt to make a commercial station out of what had been a not-for-profit station run by Rverside Church was a disaster. They tried to get everybody, the great Ed Beach included, to sound like the Rock Jocks up the dial on WNEW etc. (Les Davis was briefly on the roster, too.) I think they had about 3 sponsors.

The question about what cities in the US have jazz stations is interesting. Is there, anywhere, a COMMERCIAL jazz station? Although BGO has a lot of "corporate underwitrs" or whatever they're caled ...

Valerie
March 18th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by ssjazz

Los Angeles - KJAZZ (formerly KLON). Primarily jazz and blues.

jazzypaul
March 18th, 2003, 06:59 PM
KLON and KJAZ are completely different entities. KLON is a non-profit out of Long Beach, and they just bought a station in the inland empire to be able to get their signal throughout Los Angeles Metro Area. KJAZ was a valiant effort by the guy who does play by play locally for the Lakers. It was a commercial station, and it started off very well. They had sponsors, they sounded very professional, and I don't know what happened, but it fell apart in less than a year. I think jazz could be done commercially, under the right circumstances, but it would have to have a sales department that knew how to (a) get to the affluent advertisers and (b) knew how to sell a format so vulnerable to demo-creep.

Valerie
March 18th, 2003, 10:25 PM
As far as I know what Jazzypaul said above was once true but now is outdated news. And unless something different happened in the past few months, KLON is now KJAZ. They changed their call letters last year.

BruceH
March 18th, 2003, 11:41 PM
San Francisco no longer has any jazz station, sadly, but KCSM, out of the College of San Mateo, about 20 miles from here, plays a lot of jazz. Trouble is, the station has a rather weak signal, so if you're in the city it tends to fade in and out.

orroonie
March 19th, 2003, 01:04 AM
The jazz scene in the Apple couldn't be complete without mentioning Symphony Sid. one of the baaadest disc jockeys who promoted Jazz and Latin on various radio stations for many years. He also did the live shows from Birdland.

I was living in N.Y. when I turned on WRVR that day and heard that change from jazz to country without any notice. It was a sad day for me. I just couldn't believe it.

Finger Poppin'
March 19th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by JSngry
Is WRVR the station that, without any advance warning or publicity, turned into a C&W station at the stroke of midnight?

I was in Texas when it happened, but I heard the howls all the way down here...

I remember a WRVR-sponsored street concert that was part of the NY Kool Festival in 1979. Billy Harper's group was coming on and a WRVR DJ was announcing them. Somebody screamed from the audience, "WE NEED TO HEAR BILLY HARPER ON WRVR!!!" When the DJ said that the station did indeed play Billy Harper, the same cat yelled out, "BESIDES WITH THAD AND MEL!!!" The audience laughed loudly and began to applaud.

Harper, who was without a US recording contract at the time, merely grinned a VERY sly grin, and proceed to play his ass off.

Yes this was the station. I remember it very clearly. I was listening to the station. They were playing a early George Benson tune, someting from "The other side of Abby Road". The tune was cut off right in the middle and then some country tune started to play.
I don't recall what the new format became after that though.

Chris A.
March 19th, 2003, 10:03 AM
The first station I worked for in this country, as a disc jockey, was WHAT, a round-the-clock jazz station in Philadelphia. That was in the late 50s; the station is now devoted to talk (and renamed WWDB, I think).

Getting back to WRVR, Ed Beach played a great program of vintage jazz. He talked too much, IMO, giving superfluous bar-by-bar, solo-by-solo descriptions of each recording, but I wish he were back.

I am glad to see mention of WBAI, a station I once managed. In my days there (mid-60s) I had Dan Morgenstern, Ira Gitler, Don Schlitten and others do regular jazz shows (I fired Don Heckman, but that's another story), and on Saturday afternoons, from 2 to 4, I turned the microphone and turntables over to such performers as Zoot Sims, Jutta Hipp, Sonny Rollins, Jimmy Giuffre, Art Blakey, Jimmy Rushing (his guest was Buddy Tate), Blue Mitchell, George Wettling (his guest was Eddie Condon), Lee Morgan, John Coltrane, and Bill Dixon (another story), who could do whatever they wanted with the time; some played records, some performed live, some talked, some did all of these things.

Dave Lambert also had a weekly show, and there was a night-time hour reserved each week for a live studio broadcast of "free" jazz. Archie Shepp, Roswell Rudd, and others gathered in our small studio, turned down the lights and played--sometimes one number stretched through the entire hour.

Anyone here recall any of this?

JSngry
March 19th, 2003, 01:52 PM
...or have airshots?

shawn·m
March 19th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Chris A.
Anyone here recall any of this?

I was but a wee-little kid in the ’60s, but I’d love to hear the stories now!

liamw
March 19th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Chris A.
"Anyone here recall any of this? "

As I wrote in earlier posts, I was an active jazz listener back then, but I guess not as devoted a fan as I've thought. I must never have heard any of those programs, as I'm sure I would otherwise recall them.

It's been a long time since I listened to WBAI. Is there anything worth listening to or is it still all politics and in-house bickering?

Harold_Z
March 19th, 2003, 08:21 PM
WBAI is mostly politics. I check in now and then, just in case, but in case, but hear very little music and it's usually not Jazz.

Chris A.
March 19th, 2003, 10:08 PM
In a way, I was fortunate to have managed the station at a time when the Vietnam war and the civil rights struggle were raging. It was also a time when a station like WBAI could really offer an alternative. What I hear today is generally pretty tame, often self-indulgent stuff. And, yes, rarely is there jazz.

While they still carry some programs of substance, I think the Pacifica stations have, basically, lost their relevance.

Geting back on track, it really is amazing that New York does not have a dedicated jazz station.

gregk
March 19th, 2003, 10:12 PM
In metro Detroit I find the only stations that will even occasionally play jazz are the NPR ones. Anything else calling itself jazz is the smooth kind

Indestructible!
March 19th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Valerie
As far as I know what Jazzypaul said above was once true but now is outdated news. And unless something different happened in the past few months, KLON is now KJAZ. They changed their call letters last year.

Hi Valerie,

Well, actually KLON changed their call letters to KKJZ a few months back (actually, about 6-7 months ago, I guess). From what I know, they tried to get the call letters KJAZ, but the cat Paul mentioned wanted too much bread for the rights to the letters, so they decided on KKJZ instead. Interestingly, when you listen to the station the DJ's will offen refer to the station as "K-Jazz" anyway.

I used to do volunteer work there for the station a while back, but have been too darn busy to do anything in the past few months... I need to get busy and get back in the game!

Cheers,

Shane

Valerie
March 19th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Indestructible!

Hi Valerie,

Well, actually KLON changed their call letters to KKJZ a few months back (actually, about 6-7 months ago, I guess). From what I know, they tried to get the call letters KJAZ, but the cat Paul mentioned wanted too much bread for the rights to the letters, so they decided on KKJZ instead. Interestingly, when you listen to the station the DJ's will offen refer to the station as "K-Jazz" anyway.

My bad!! Got those KJZs and JAZs mixed up! But I did at least know it was no longer KLON!! LOL!!

Indestructible!
March 20th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Hi Valerie,

Yeah, it's easy to mix those wacky call letter things up. At least KKJZ/KLON didn't change their format, and they still play the best jazz in the Los Angeles! I do wish they'd play a little more free jazz/avant-garde stuff, though.

As an aside, I once worked at a radio station where the call letters were WSUC... I'm not kidding! We did make up some great t-shirts designs -- and they seemed pretty popular as give-aways as well!

Cheers,

Shane

Chris A.
March 20th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Apropos call letters, when I worked at WHAT in Philly, I used to do an annual pitch for United Fund. Standing on the back of a flatbed truck, on Market Street, I would do my pitch, assisted by boy scouts who occasionally rubbed sticks together and lit a UF torch. This would attract a sizeable noontime crowd.

Emblazoned on the side of the truck, in huge letters, was:

CHRIS ALBERTSON, STAR OF WHAT

One year, I wondered why people were laughing--somebody had added a question mark! :cool:

Valerie
March 20th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Indestructible!
Hi Valerie,

Yeah, it's easy to mix those wacky call letter things up. At least KKJZ/KLON didn't change their format, and they still play the best jazz in the Los Angeles! I do wish they'd play a little more free jazz/avant-garde stuff, though.

Actually, they have changed their format somewhat during the past year and not for the better, IMO. Much more commercial-type stuff. They even had a show on cocktail-type, retro music! The change in their blues DJ was, however, a big change for the better. On the other hand, they created a smooth-jazz CD club, promoting it with bites like, "Not the music your parents would like" or something like that!

Lastly, I must admit that KKJZ is a better jazz station than other cities have and it's a 24/7 deal!

liamw
March 20th, 2003, 04:42 PM
"Geting back on track, it really is amazing that New York does not have a dedicated jazz station."

Is there a tendency among the NY metro area members here to ignore WBGO? Apart from a few hours on a couple of evenings when it carries some nonmusical NPR features, and Saturday mornings when it carries an R&B show, the rest of the time is all jazz. True, it's pretty conservative, rarely getting out of the mainstream, but it's undeniably jazz that they play, not smooth stuff or pop oriented. Personally I'd feel lost without it.

Or is it just because they're located in New Jersey???

Chris A.
March 20th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by liamw
Or is it just because they're located in New Jersey???

Location, location, location ;)

Actually, WBGO is the closest thing we have to a dedicated jazz station. However, its narrow scope and uninformed presenters often inspire me to push the OFF button and turn to my own collection. There is one guy on WBGO (I don't recall his name) who is the stereotypical 1950's dj--he tries to be smooth and he obviously enjoys the sound of his own voice more than any music he plays.

I'm glad BGO is there, but I wish it were not as shallow as it is.

SouthBronxND
August 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Yes I do remember Les Davis. I used to listen to him just about every morning back in the mid-seventies. He had a unique approach and was often quite funny. I remember that he had a sidekick that did the news. If memory serves, her name was Roberta Altman? They had a good banter and of course Les would play everything from the current to the classic.

He later got a gig with WVNJ which was muzak during the day and jazz at night. As I recall it was an all night gig. He used to honor requests too.

A while back he had a syndicated show that was aired on CD101.9 on Sunday night. A kind of retro jazz thing that featured the music of Dave Brubeck, Teddy Wilson, Ben Webster,etc.

I read very recently that he is on satellite radio these days. It's that same company that hired Howard Stern. Nice to know that they can also hire class acts.

I recall that there 'RVR also had a midnight to 6am DJ by the name of Van Jay as welll as Ed Beach. Ed was the guy who got me into Wes and Dizzy.

Les Davis was the guy who really embraced the fusion as well as the classic. You would hear Passport, Jean Luc Ponty, Mahavishnu alongside Oscar Peterson, John Coltrane, Dizzy, Miles and others.

I do recall the very sad day whereupon I awakened to find that my favorite station sought to embrace that Urban Cowboy drivel popularized by that mediocre movie and switch to country music and started calling themselves WKHK. I believe it was Viacom's decision then since Riverside Church no longer owned. It was a sad moment in radio history.

WBGO has picked up the slack though. Thank God for that. Although there format is not quite as expansive as 'RVR's could be, they do come close. They have their unique radio personalities too. I have had the pleasure of speaking to several of them. Downbeat writer and jazz scholar, the erudite Michael Bourne holds forth in the afternoon. Gary Walker reminds of Les at times with his take on things. He's the guy who will reach out and play something by Metheny, Christian McBride, Kurt Rosenwinkel and others who are not quite traditional jazz.

Overall I still miss RVR. It was a huge influence and a part of the memories of my youth. For 10 years I was glued to that station. I heard it was on for 18 years.

Not to turn this into a New York nostalgia thread but ... does anyone remember Les Davis, who did a jazz show nightly on WNCN and on weekends on WBAI (in the 60s)? For awhile he broadcast from a record store on 5th avenue (The Record Hunter) and featured a nightly "comedy" segment with Ed Sherman, who wrote the "Out of my head" column in Downbeat.

There was also Skip Weshner who broadcast out of his apartment in Greenwich Village over WBAI. He played an odd mix of music, but a lot of jazz was in it. Nobody at all seems to remember that show.

Zoot
August 9th, 2006, 06:10 AM
A few others:

WICN - Worcester MA. Very conservative mainstream
KPLU - Seattle/Tacoma
WEMU - Ypsilanti MI. A little more adventuresome

All three stream, and are NPR stations, with the usual mix of news features. The last two offer some blues as well, don't recall if WICN does also.

http://www.radio-locator.com/ has a comprehensive list of streaming stations, supports searches by music categories that are generally accurate. although oddly only WICN appears on a Jazz search.

128Bit_Encryption
August 9th, 2006, 12:58 PM
San Diego has a decent 24 hour jazz station in KSDS 88.3 FM. Not bad. I recommend listening on Monday nights between 9:00 pm to 12:00 am PST for a dj named Leo Gates. If you like no-nonsense programming and straight ahead serious creative music, he is the go to guy! TRUST ME! His play lists are excellent!

Also check out Thursday night, same time: 9:00 pm to 12:00 am, for another dj named Miff Mole. From 9 pm to 11 pm, he plays very good music and from 11pm till 12 am, he has a show he calls "free time". For that hour he plays hard core creative improvised music (AEC, Cecil Taylor, Sun Ra, Archie Shepp, et al). His show is also free of any silly contemporary commercial music!

This is 24 hour jazz station that I'm sure you will enjoy. They have a variety of music programming formats also. Check out the website for details.

http://www.jazz88online.org/

SouthBronxND
August 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
WBGO in Newark can be heard throughout New York as well as New Jersey. It is a full time jazz station with some special programming such as Saturday's Rhythm Review, Piano Jazz with Marian McPartland, Jazz from Lincoln Center and NPR's The People's Pharmacy.

We have been fortunate here in New York to have had them start up almost immediately after the demise of WRVR.

Washington DC doesn't. It does have part time WPFW (part of Pacifica, a small National network which sends political shows that WPFW carries). Also WAMU has one Jazz show remaining which is on 7-10 Saturday night. WPFW used to have somewhat more Jazz than it does now. WAMU used to have 2-3 hours per week more Jazz than it does now.

There used to be a full time Jazz station WDCU associated with University of the District of Columbia, which went away so the University could sell the FM license to meet budget shortfall.

There are times such as Saturday until 7pm, weekday mornings after 9 and weekday evenings after 9 when there is NO Jazz on the radio in DC.

SouthBronxND
August 11th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Well, immediately after going country abruptly, a protest went on in the form of calls and letters to Viacom, I believe who owned the station at the time. It was to no avail. It stayed country for about 6 months and when they didn't get the rating they wanted they exchanged positions on the dial with a pop station and were now position around 106 on the dial, thereabouts. The station that was moved to 106.7 evolved or devolved depending on your point of view, to the format that is now LITE-FM and remains so today. Which seemed to have an endless appetite for Neal Diamond and Barbara Streisand.

WKHK lasted about a year and the call letters changed as did the format. I really couldn't tell you since I never listened or went anywhere near it on the dial. To me it was anathema since I blamed it for the demise of my beloved 'RVR. Of course that was silly but I was young at the time and at that age you reserve alot of energy for such goofiness.

Yes this was the station. I remember it very clearly. I was listening to the station. They were playing a early George Benson tune, someting from "The other side of Abby Road". The tune was cut off right in the middle and then some country tune started to play.
I don't recall what the new format became after that though.

liamw
August 11th, 2006, 03:02 PM
"We have been fortunate here in New York ... "

Indeed! In my close to 50 years of listening in the NY metro area, we've always had jazz on the radio, if not always a full time jazz staton. Right now, with BGO & KCR, we've probably got as much jazz being broadcast as ever, although at other times some of the other college stations did some jazz programming (though not of a very high order).

It might be recalled about WRVR that, in its heyday, it wasn't an all jazz all the time station. A good portion of the mid-day was given over to talk ... I don't remember the hosts for those programs, but they were decidedly liberal in outlook, so I was generally in agreement with them. Then there was RVR Evening, which I wrote about in an earlier post. On Saturday mornings they also had non-jazz programming, including a program about gardening featuring a couple (husband & wife) whose names I also can't recall anymore. But they later had a program or were part of a news magazine show on one of the local TV stations. On the whole, I'd say BGO has more hours of jazz programming than RVR did.

sounds212001
August 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I remember it well, was sad ti see it go. Forunatly i discovered WKCR which i think is about as good as it gets. WBGO is also good, But WKCR is my Life-Line.

drmidi
August 18th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Yes, I do remember WRVR as it was quite instrumental in building my jazz LP collection, as well as featuring my favorite jazz artists in concerts throughout NYC back in the late 70's. At that time, I lived on the Upper West Side and WRVR and the "New York Jazz Scene" featured such artists as Earl Klugh, Bob James, George Duke, Chick Corea, Stan Getz, Gerry Mulligan, Dave Brubeck, Dave Grusin, Eric Gale, Jon Lucien, etc. I listened more for the music and was not too aware of the DJs at that time, but I do believe that I remembered the theme song to "Concert Happenings" in New York was "Walk On The Water" by Gerry Mulligan. I was a big fan of Earl Klugh and Bob James and WRVR was involved with a concert featuring both at Avery Fisher Hall which I attended. At the same time, though, disco and R&B was also a driving force in New York (Donna Summer, Diana Ross, D Train, etc.).

I later learned that one day, (according to gossip)... a huge truck pulled up and removed all jazz recordings from the station as "Kick Radio" (WKHK) had taken over the new country format, and within minutes, the last jazz tune ended and the new call letters resounded around town with a country tune following... and New York jazz fans were very much perplexed about this sudden programming change as they scurried to their radios to check the tuning dial.

Similarly, now some years later, WQCD (CD101.9) started out being mostly "popular jazz" and then eventually giving way to just about any other popular format. I think that most commercial "jazz stations" (outside of the smaller college radio stations) feel that offering just jazz is risky in a major market with such diverse musical tastes. However, it does frustrate the listener who would perhaps prefer to stick to one format from the listener's viewpoint. Other stations, including one I know of which was net-based (such as Beethoven.com) offered classical by day and jazz by night (sounds like a Paul Revere sort of thing, doesn't it?).

I think that Satellite Radio will have an effect on how radio formats will evolve in the future in that it offers more bandwidth for "dedicated format stations." For me, "jazz radio" stations were a means for me to check out what was new in the LP or CD markets, (after all, shouldn't radio be in the business of selling records?), and when WQCD opened-up its format to cover other styles, I found myself spending less time listening with as my dedication as I had in the past. Hopefully, good jazz stations will remain on the dial for some time to come.

Lord Shabazz
December 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
I was a young kid in the late 70's, just finishing middle school when I really got into WRVR. Like most kids I was into Disco, R&B and early stages of Hip Hop, but I was a young musician also, playing Bass Guitar and a bit of trombone, and I loved the sounds WRVR introduced me to. I learned of Hugh Masekela, who performed with the more familiar Herb Alpert; I learned of Art Blakey and Pharoah Sanders, learned more of Coltrane, Charlie "YardBird" Parker, Al Jarreau, Bob James, and David Sanborn, Chuck Mangione and really was diggin' the acid jazz of guys like Pieces of a Dream, the Crusaders-just to name a few off the top. I feel blessed to have had WRVR in my upbringing, because it allowed me to broaden my horizons by making jazz available on a daily basis to me as a child in a household where it really wasn't played. I studied bass lines from pieces like 'The Main Event' by Herb Alpert Hugh Masekela until I mastered them; it was magical to me.

From time to time there were periods of a week or so that I wouldn't listen to RVR, because unless I specifically tuned in on my own radio it wasn't played by anyone else in my household. Then one day, I think I had just started High School, I went back to tune into 106.7 FM and country music was playing. I remember being baffled and asking my mother what was going on and she said the station had probably been changed. Soon thereafter, I saw the Kick 106 ads all over the place and I was like wtf? I had never seen a station disappear like that and didn't remember hearing of any warning of this occurence. I also remember as a young teen feeling that it was 'stupid' that there be a country music station in NYC and no jazz station. Twenty-six years later, I still think that is stupid, even though Kick 106 has long bit the dust.

spitfirepete
December 3rd, 2006, 09:52 AM
I dont remember the station out of NYC (maybe WEVD) but in the late 50's I used to listen to Symphony Sid at night.....and Mort Fega had a jazz show as well.......Great Stuff

craigj8888
May 23rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Hi, You can find a piece of
Authentic WRVR 106.7 NY Jazz Memorabilia on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/WRVR-106-7-Jazz-Radio-New-York-Original-1970s-Tote-NR_W0QQitemZ320116401714QQihZ011QQcategoryZ108749Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

WRVR 106.7 Jazz Radio New York Original 1970s Collectible Tote

Best Regards,
Craig

chazro
May 24th, 2007, 11:45 AM
FM radio was such an influence in my musical development back in the day!. In the late 60's/early 70's I was glued to the radio, a fertile time for music and radio programming reflected it. I honestly feel bad for the youth of today with the uber-strict method of programming prevalent today. Although the radio scene has gotten better with XM/Sirius as far as music diversity, I still think it's too bad that they continue the practice of pigeon-holding every genre. A huge part of the appeal of the radio for me was to hear the diversity, the mix...to be turned on to different styles unexpectedly. Here's a genre they oughtta try, using the Ellingtonian concept of there only being 2 types of music, the GOOD music station!!

Living in NY back then I can't recall, but was RVR the station that Jonathan Schwartz, Allison Steele, & Roscoe as DJ's?

tpt1
May 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Living in NY back then I can't recall, but was RVR the station that Jonathan Schwartz, Allison Steele, & Roscoe as DJ's?I believe you're thinking of WNEW. Les Davis and Ed Beach were a couple of the DJ's on RVR.

http://www.smoothjazzandmore.com/wrvr.jpg

SNPUC
April 12th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Came across this board tonight and read all the posts on WRVR, the jazz station in NYC. I used to listen to "Van Jay in the Midnight Hour" every night. My dad introduced me to the station and I actually kept a pad and pen on my nightstand. Sometimes, if I was drifting off to sleep, I would force myself to write down the name of something I liked. Oh, those were such awesome days of great music. It was all so new and exciting to me.

OK, here's why I'm here now: I have a 30-year old question that I am still haunted by. Does anyone know what the name of Van Jay's theme song was? I heard it every night and it was the one thing I didn't write down! I think it was a tenor sax and for some reason recall it being on Prestige. I may be wrong. I would love to find out what the name of the artist and tune were so I can end this mystery once and for all. And yes, I was listening when they changed the format to country. Blew me away. Thanks for any replies. Don't even know if this thread is still shown anywhere.

BTW: CD101.9 has now gone the way WRVR did. It's c-c-country!

Vic J
April 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Someone recently gave me a copy of a WRVR live radio broadcast I did at the old Village Gate with Eric Kloss and Kenny Barron on electric piano. Les Davis was the emcee..I remember this cold January eve very well becayse someone ripped off my brand new leather coat and I froze my butt off.
This was 1975 and New York City was a hard place.....I still see former WRVR DJ Lois Gilbert, Rhonda Hamilton, of course is at WBGO....Ed Beach was a trip, loved him and who can forget how WRVR became a C&W station within 24 hours without warning....This was jazz' "Pearl Harbor"

tpt1
April 13th, 2008, 11:01 AM
and who can forget how WRVR became a C&W station within 24 hours without warning....This was jazz' "Pearl Harbor"HA! That's a good one, Vic. "Jazz Pearl Harbor!" I remember that day well. All my jazz buddies were on the phone like "hey put on RVR, you won't believe it!".

SNPUC
April 20th, 2008, 10:48 PM
My search has ended! The theme song Van Jay used in his Midnight Hour program was John Coltrane's My One and Only Love. Van Jay only played the beginning, just the instrumental. I didn't know that there was vocal on it by Johnny Hartman. Here's a wonderful site that has an enormous listing, by title, of some of the best songs ever written/played, the who/what/where and a bit of commentary, too! Thanks to C.M.S.! :cheers
http://www.nyu.edu/projects/sciabarra/about/favoritesongs.htm

Radar
April 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM
I remember picking up WRVR occasionally when driving through that area of NY. We do still have an almost full time 24 Hr. a day 7 day a week Jazz station, here in Rochester NY, located at 90.1 on the FM dial, they also stream on the internet at www.jazz901.org. They do a few non-jazz shows throughout the week, mostly ethnic music shows. There is a Polka show, and a Spanish music show in the Spanish language, etc. I would say about 90% of the time is Jazz programming, featuring all styles of Jazz, from Classic to contemporary. They are a great resource, for the community.

Vic J
April 22nd, 2008, 12:46 AM
Van Jay was a cool DJ....Charles Earland wrote a tune called "Van Jay" and recorded it on his double LP "Still on this Planet" which is my favorite Earland recording.....WRVR was an incredible station....WLIB, 107.5 FM was even Better....That was in the mid 1960's in the the early days of FM radio, NYC vicinity...The DJ's that I remember were Del Shields, Dr. Billy Taylor, and Ed Williams....I would be really curious if someone remembers WLIB...I don't mean to HI-Jack this thread....

creative
April 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Van Jay was a cool DJ....Charles Earland wrote a tune called "Van Jay" and recorded it on his double LP "Still on this Planet" which is my favorite Earland recording.....WRVR was an incredible station....WLIB, 107.5 FM was even Better....That was in the mid 1960's in the the early days of FM radio, NYC vicinity...The DJ's that I remember were Del Shields, Dr. Billy Taylor, and Ed Williams....I would be really curious if someone remembers WLIB...I don't mean to HI-Jack this thread....
Hi Vic
I seem to recall that WLIB was originally WEVD?

Robert

Vic J
April 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
The station was WlIB 107.5 FM....I remember it clearly...

PHILLYQ
April 22nd, 2008, 08:14 PM

Sorry if I seem a bit pedantic, but the title was 'Leaving This Planet'. The tune 'Van Jay' has a killer Joe Henderson solo and some very fine Freddie Hubbard too.
I was a big 'RVR fan and I was shocked when they switched- I thought my radio broke!

Vic J
April 22nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Wow, my bad, Philly.....You are right...I guess I am not ready to check out yet....Freddie does sound great on this one and every other one for that matter

creative
April 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
The station was WlIB 107.5 FM....I remember it clearly...
. I just had this idea that before the call was WLIB it might have used the call WEVD. I could be wrong....What station was Sym Sid was on??

Robert