Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rules of Engagement

Just curious if I'm on Ron's ignore list.
    BIGTIME!

Anyone who shares a history of hanging at these boards probably knows who I was referring to.

Should we utilize more than one moderator? I can keep an eye on things, Chris will help, and perhaps we can find 2-3 others?

Any volunteers?

By all means, use several moderators. Use Catesta, Weizen, Berigan, Johnny E. and Chris. That should ensure reasoned, mature responses from everyone. Let all of them delete offensive posts. That way, you won't clog up any bandwidth, and the political forum will pull itself. In a manner of speaking...
    -Mark

C'mon guys.

The poll was a good idea, but what I have seen is people voting for no politics here, and than posting in political forums elsewhere.
    And I don't just mean people that said they would post elsewhere.

If I was Mike I would at least want to give it a try, as he is doing.

The forum is totally separated from the music discussions.
    I for one think it will be a healthy addition. If I'm wrong than by all means Mike should pull it.

After taking a poll of course.

Originally posted by Jazzmoose
    By all means, use several moderators. Use Catesta, Weizen, Berigan, Johnny E. and Chris. That should ensure reasoned, mature responses from everyone. Let all of them delete offensive posts. That way, you won't clog up any bandwidth, and the political forum will pull itself. In a manner of speaking...

JM, you sure you don't want to include yourself in the above mentioned brain trust?

Originally posted by xricci
    Should we utilize more than one moderator? I can keep an eye on things, Chris will help, and perhaps we can find 2-3 others?

Any volunteers?
    Dude, what am I Donahue?

Give me a chance boss, I'll make it work.

We don't want too many cooks in the kitchen.

Cool

I agree there should be several moderators. Though I don't think anyone from the extreme right or left should be included. I also think we should vote on those that volunteer for the actual moderators.

Personally thought as I stated when the poll was first taken, I still don't think we should have a Political forum.

Cool

Originally posted by catesta

Dude, what am I Donahue?

Give me a chance boss, I'll make it work.

We don't want too many cooks in the kitchen.

What we don't need is the wrong cooks and honestly I think you would be a wrong choice based on my memory of the Blue Note BBS.

I've never understood why those who are so opposed/offended by the political postings read them. I have no interest in vocal jazz and for 3 years on the BNBB, I never once read that forum. However, I didn't begrudge other people the opportunity to read and post in that forum if that was their interest. If you have no interest in politics then ignore the forum. Why is that so difficult to do?

Originally posted by Mnytime

What we don't need is the wrong cooks and honestly I think you would be a wrong choice based on my memory of the Blue Note BBS.
    Mny, I myself would prefer no moderator.

In some emails with Mike discussing the possibility of adding a political forum, he asked if I was interested in helping. I responded with a yes, because I did not see any harm in it.
    I think his main concern is dragging religion into these discussion, and I agree.

Since I was one of the active participants in the political forums, I was witness to the bigger picture. Someone that did not participate would often not see the same.
    What I mean by that is, while some people took or made it personal, most of us were able to leave it at the door.
    Greg was a good example of someone that carried it with him all the time.

The confusion I see with multiple moderators is where is the line drawn? Are deletions made by a committee decision?
    I saw very few active posters that did not lean strongly one way or the other. So drawing the line down the middle may not make the most sense.

I think too much thought of the negatives is being into this, and way too much emphasis on what a moderator should or should not.

I believe this board just like JC, the former BNBB, and the others, can handle this additional forum.

I think [Catesta] would be a wrong choice based on my memory of the Blue Note BBS.
    That is really unfair. The guy hasn't even started the job yet and you want to fire him. As I stated above, ignore the forum if it upsets you so. But don't bring old baggage from the BNBB over here. That Board is history.

Absolute nonsense. Am I missing a joke here? We're not going on a space walk, kids. The plan is sensible and catesta is an excellent choice to keep an eye on things. If he agreed to do it, he will do a good job. Period. I'll say it again, the fear and sensitivity level is way over the top. Lighten up.

Originally posted by grey

That is really unfair. The guy hasn't even started the job yet and you want to fire him. As I stated above, ignore the forum if it upsets you so. But don't bring old baggage from the BNBB over here. That Board is history.

Originally posted by RonF

Absolute nonsense. Am I missing a joke here? We're not going on a space walk, kids. The plan is sensible and catesta is an excellent choice to keep an eye on things. If he agreed to do it, he will do a good job. Period. I'll say it again, the fear and sensitivity level is way over the top. Lighten up.

As I said before from my point of view and based on what I recall of Catesta's posts he is not someone I would want as a friend or a moderator.

Just because the Blue Note BBS is no longer around does not mean we should forget what was said. I put up with way to many insults and hateful posts to forget.

You have no problem with him that's your right just like there where many that had no problem with Greg. That doesn't make Greg any better either. Though Greg is in his own world in comparision.

I see no reason why I should lighten up. Lightening up is what lead to Greg getting out of control and so many people leaving the Blue Note BBS.

There are a lot of us posters who left the Blue Note BBS who only came back to this board because there would be no Political & Religious posts. Because in the end all they lead to is anger and hate.

Now just like you have your opinions on the matter these are my opinions.

As I said I think there should not be any forum but if there is going to be one than the Moderators should be elected by all the Members from those willing to be Moderators.

Just because the Blue Note BBS is no longer around does not mean we should forget what was said. I put up with way to many insults and hateful posts to forget.

I see no reason why I should lighten up. Lightening up is what lead to Greg getting out of control and so many people leaving the Blue Note BBS.

As I said I think there should not be any forum but if there is going to be one than the Moderators should be elected by all the Members from those willing to be Moderators.
    Okay, let's calm down. Mnytime, you stated that you "put up with way too many insults and hateful posts to forget." Right? Respectfully, I ask, then why were you there in the first place? Are you tied to the whipping post? Are you masochistic? Don't click on POLITICAL FORUM. Problem solved. If it gets out of hand, Mike and catesta will know and it will be dealt with. Easy. Simple. Stay away if you know you will be offended. Is that not common sense? Sounds like you may have a problem with catesta. Get over it. Do you really think everyone should agree with YOU? He and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum. I still like the guy, I still respect him and we share a sense of humor. That's what's missing with you, mnytime. Try inserting some humor, tolerance and balance into your time on the board. You're making it way too difficult.

I have no sense of humor when it comes to someone like Greg, Catesta, Jerry K, Berigan, and a few others. And tolerance is a word none of them understand, which is why I have no sense of humor for them. You want to turn a blind eye to them that is your choice.

I have already said all I am going to say on about Catesta being made a moderator.

Now if from reading my posts you think I said that everyone should agree with me than I would really suggest re-reading my posts. Maybe if you read slower it might help sink in that nowhere did I say or imply that everyone should agree with me.