View Poll Results: Who is your favorite tenor player?

Voters
395. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Coltrane

131 33.16%
  • Stan Getz

25 6.33%
  • Dexter Gordon

28 7.09%
  • Coleman Hawkins

14 3.54%
  • Joe Henderson

27 6.84%
  • Sonny Rollins

42 10.63%
  • Wayne Shorter

29 7.34%
  • Ben Webster

15 3.80%
  • Lester Young

27 6.84%
  • Other

57 14.43%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213

Thread: Who is your favorite tenor player?

Hank Mobley

IMHO Hank should be on the list, NOT be in the "other" category....

Pharoah Sanders?

I opened this thread with a certain expectation ... Pharoah Sanders.

So then I thought, "Well okay, the creator of the list was not a fan," and then expected to see his name mentioned several times by those pointing out the oversight in the thread.

So then I went through 181 posts (yep, all of them), and found one minor reference to him. Frankly, Sanders would be in my top tier of Coltrane, Rollins and Shorter, and my listening habits would bear that out.

I am not drawing a line in the sand or anything, but wondering aloud why, for those of you who would offer an opinion on the matter. The only thing I think of is that many of the top mentions are playing in the same stream -- or at least similar streams, while Sanders may feel to some like he is off in the weeds someplace. I also noticed that Rahsaan Roland Kirk did not garner much attention and the same could be said for him.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Coltrane.
    http://completecommunion.blogspot.com/
    http://completecommunion.podomatic.com/

music constelation, just my opinion

pharoh sanders does one thing well. trane and wayne, for example, can negociete the free terrain of sanders but they also can lay down serious bop time for sure they can do it with way more authority than i ever heard pharoh do

just my opinion

Hank Mobley

Hank Mobley is my personal favorite because of his fantastic compositions as well as his playing. The man could really write great tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by scamwb View Post
    Hank Mobley is my personal favorite because of his fantastic compositions as well as his playing. The man could really write great tunes.
    that's interesting, i've heard only no room for squares so i know his music only superficially but i'm really interested by the aspect of the composition in jazz music. What are your favorite tunes of him?

My favorites are always changing. I know I posted in this thread some time ago. Today I find myself so attracted to Tony Malaby's sound that he's now my current favorite.