Thread: HELP: Going Crazy to Know Whose Song It Is?!

Lightbulb ALMOST FOUND: Going Crazy to Know Whose Song It Is?! Jazz-metal fusion

Hi everyone,

Several months ago I heard a song on a late night jazz show on my local radio station and have been edging ever since to know who made it. Since the genre is so new even the show presenter had no clue what I was talking about after I called in the next week. Maybe you guys here do!

I don't want to upset the jazz purists but the best way I could describe it is an Instrumental cross between 50's jazz and Linkin Park... like Jazz-Rock-Fusion but the lead progressive guitar in it wasn't the kind of 80's hairband style characteristic of many recordings of that genre today (still rooted in the original 70s inspiration), but rather, replaced with the heavily filtered and marevellously engineered Nu Metal type. No wah-wah or Pat Metheny stuff, more like the electrified melodic bzzzzzzzzvvvvvv of the latest track from the likes of the hits from Evanescence.

The track I heard wasn't at all "funky" or very groovy; it was more the freestyle classic faster jazz drumming (not downtempo open hihat->closed hihat-->open hihat open hihat but the improv cymbal hihats snares). It wasnt darkish or even that experimental (like the Bad Plus) but quite uplifting, taking you on a journey, and in my opinion far more talented than Bad plus. Otherwise It stayed close to Jazz structure and fundamentals, no world fusion latin or indian instruments and no processed electronic beats like acid jazz. It was just good ol jazz that rocked in the newest sound. Please help -- even if we can't pinpoint the exact artist some close recommendations of others I might like would put me in the right direction... thanks all
    Last edited by Take5orever; October 14th, 2005 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Updating title to show progress

I wish I could help, but I don't know the answer... sorry.

i get obsessed with music that i don't know the title of or author and so if it were me i'd first go to the station website and check there. some have playlists that you can research. if all else fails email or call them if you know the timeslot and date.

Lightbulb Got a new lead!

Thanks for trying cdog & otelia,

After a long time searching the net I came across this link: http://www.guitar-forum.net/uk/Next_...ng_151851.html
    Proof that it's a whole genre coming not an isolated performance!

But I hit a dead end tracking following this lead to any bands. The band name mentioned has no presence on the Net, and neither does the name of the record label that he says signed them.
    Maybe someone else reading this thread can piggyback off of this lead with some related info?...