Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jazz female saxophone players

Two good tenor players from my part of the world;
    Frøy Aagre (contemporary)
    Bodil Niska (mainstream)

Aagre also is a member of this board.
    What punk was to rock, bebop was to jazz - the only difference is that bebop still sounds good (independent)

Chronic Jazzaholic

Wink Dulfer au-go-go

If funky jazz is your Jones, Candy Dulfer's tenor work on her "Sax au-Go-Go" CD features Maceo Parker as well (from the James Brown Horns).
    "Jazz is freedom. You think about that." --- Thelonious Monk

vi burnside, tenor sax, with the all girl big band "international sweethearts of rhythm"!! dig it! absolutely jump stuff from the 40´s!!

ivy benson and her british all women dance band!

keep boppin´
    marcel

check out Jessica Lurie in the band Living Daylights!

fantastic player
    ------------------------
    HARVYST

Quote Originally Posted by Tenorman
    Where you search is the internet and your local library. Names you can get here

I would add Barbara Thompson from the UK
    and Kathy Stobart. She was a trailblazer for female jazz instrumentalists in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.K.
    check out Jessica Lurie in the band Living Daylights!

fantastic player

http://www.archive.org/audio/etreeli...ng%20Daylights
    ------------------------
    HARVYST

thank you very much for the recomendations!

Smile

One brilliant alto player is Karolina Strassmeyer, originally from Austria but (I think) now based in NYC. She's got her own band plus she's also part of Diva. Sounds like a young Phil Woods with wonderful blues chops and a gorgeous tone. Some of her best work is on Arbors, the two releases by the band 5 Play. Check 'em out.

Here in Oz, we have two very fine women sax players-composers:

Sandy Evans in Sydney is into post-Coltrane sounds - Tasty.

Personal favorite is soprano player Fiona Burnett. Her best work is shimmering and ethereal (likes Dave Liebman and Wayne Shorter a lot); other times she's rough and gutsy. She has about 5 CDs out yner her own name, mostly without piano.
    Steve Rob

AAJ contributor extraordinaire
    Anat Cohen is phenomenal. I saw her with DIVA and man, I think outside of a trumpet battle with two players I don't recall, she was for me the best player of the night I would like to check out her recently released solo album. Christine Jensen is great too, the lone Ingrid Jensen disc I have, (Project O) her writing displays a Wayne Shorter esque edge to it. Sometimes I wish that gender isn't a consideration of great players, women were discouraged bigtime in the swing era (Clora Bryant in the bop era comes to mind as a successful female instrumentalist), and to my mind some of the only players I see mentioned in the jazz press on a level with their male counterparts are the aforementioned Ingrid Jensen, Eliane Elias, Hiromi-I must check out her stuff, she is so daring, Maria Schneider, Terri Lyne Carrington-one of my very fav. drummers and Cindy Blackman. I could be wrong but these are names I see more than others, though there are many more great female jazzers, I notice many of them are in avant garde realms like Susie Ibarra, since I'm not a big avant garde fan, I am not aware of a lot of the names in the music.

Back to Anat, the Avishai Cohen she is related to, a trumpeter, is unrelated to the bassist correct?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Shearn
    Back to Anat, the Avishai Cohen she is related to, a trumpeter, is unrelated to the bassist correct?
    Nope, no family. Anat and her brothers Avishai and Yuval perform and record as the 3 Cohens, worth checking out!

http://www.3cohens.com/

AAJ contributor extraordinaire
    thanks Freek

Quote Originally Posted by bubber
    Two good tenor players from my part of the world;
    Frøy Aagre (contemporary)
    I found out that she had a gig in NYC (a club near the Brooklyn Bridge) just last week -- also that I missed it. (I'm pleased about the former, but not about the latter!)

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Shearn
    thanks Freek
    You're welcome. Be sure to check out Avishai's site as well, he may not be a female sax player but he blows his trumpet in a sometimes dazzling way on his own album 'The Trumpet Player'. Not free jazz, but still pretty edgy and aggressive at times! (http://avishaicohenmusic.com/)

Alright, enough for now, just thought I'd blow his horn (haha ) for a sec.

I'm glad that somebody finally mentioned Cathy Stobart--a terrific player.

mike schwartz
    Hey Chris,
    It's nice to see your name on these boards!

Three young talented alto players:
    -Tia Fuller
    -Sarah Manning
    -Tinika [sp?] Postma [also plays soprano] a Scandinavian/studied in NYC

Manning & Postma both have debut CD's within the last 1-2 years that are quite enjoyable.

-Kristen Strom..solid SF Bay Area player. Primarily Tenor, but doubles others