Thread: newbie

hey im completely new to jazz..i know nothing about it. all i know is i like the dimensions in jazz (www.dimensionsinjazz.com) radio station on itunes. if anyone could help me out with some artists that would be much appreciated.

fivestringthing, here's some good stuff to start with:

i checked out that link you provided, and that's all really great stuff on that website. personally, i'd recommend:

LOUIS ARMSTRONG - THE LOUIS ARMSTRONG COLLECTION, VOL. 4: LOUIS ARMSTRONG AND EARL HINES (columbia records)

BIX BEIDERBECKE, VOL. 1 - SINGIN' THE BLUES (columbia records)

these two are a great introduction to how jazz got started. they're real early recordings, like from the '20s, so the sound isn't that great, but the playing is. the best tunes on those are like,

from louis, 'west end blues'
    'tight like this'
    'no one else but you'

from bix, 'singin the blues,'
    'clarinet marmalade,'
    'trumbology.'

MILES DAVIS - KIND OF BLUE (columbia records)

this is the album i recommend to everybody not knowing where to start. probably from start to finish the greatest jazz recording ever.

JOHN COLTRANE - BALLADS (impulse records)

BILLIE HOLIDAY - SOLITUDE (verve records)

great vocal record from 'lady day'

ELLA FITZGERALD - SINGS THE DUKE ELLINGTON SONGBOOK (verve records)

another great vocal jazz album

COUNT BASIE SWINGS, JOE WILLIAMS SINGS (verve records)

real swingin record from basie. (i love vocals in case you hadn't noticed)

anyway, hopefully this will keep you busy for a while to come. the great thing about these records and records like them, is that it doesn't take a mental workout to appreciate and enjoy them. it's just some real great music.

have fun,
    paper

p.s. oh yeah, anything by charlie parker is really good. i'd recommend 'CHARLIE PARKER WITH STRINGS: THE MASTER TAKES.' real classy stuff, man.