Page 93 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4379808182838485868788899091929394959697 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1443

Thread: Pat Martino

Polytone Contempo

If any of you Pat Martino fans are interested I have a prototype Polytone Contempo solid body guitar that Pat was considering for a signature model. I am going to central america for missionary work and will not be able to take it with me. Pictured far right. email me casedog311@msn.com

[IMG][/IMG]

Polytone Contempo

Polytone
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by casedog311
    My Grandfather left me this guitar when he passed away and the only info I have on it is a picture he took that says on the back, "birthday present to myself, prototype 1 of 7 made." In my internet searches you are the only reference that comes up. I was wondering if you have any references to finding out more about this guitar. Thank you for your time.

Casey
    Casey,

I initially endorsed a Polytone guitar in the early '80's. It was a "blond double cutaway". I'm sure it was one of the 7 you've mentioned. I'd advise for you to contact Polytone with regard to the serial number on the instrument you currently have. It's possible that someone there can identify the instrument you're questioning.

Good Luck!

Pat

Just heard about the June bookings at Blues Alley. Now that is good news as we are seriously jonesin' after missing you and the group last year!
    http://www.asiftrio.org

Polytone Contempo

Here's a video of Pat playing the Polytone Contempo. Thanks John from wonder bread band for the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4LTy...63RVAAAAAAAABw

La Bella strings

Dear All,

A question for Pat and all the guys here owning a GIBSON Martino.
    I installed La Bella flatwound strings 20PM (13 --> 53), and switched the high E to 14 (personal preference).
    The sound is extremely good on all strings beside the low E, which is very dull sounding.... This string itself looks OK, I don't think there is something bad with it, but it definitely sound not OK (lack of definition and sustain, as if there were only fundamentals, no harmonics).
    Did anybody notice this issue?

Thanks in advance!
    Robin

Update on La Bella strings

For those interested, I fixed the issue I had on the low E string by removing the strings and re-inserting it... Something was wrong with the way it was installed at first... I'm really very impressed by them, such a sweet and defined sound! I must admit I tried every brands of flatwounds and this is definitely the best of all! At least for me...

Live at Ethel's Place DVD - Purchase Info Please

Anyone know where I can purchase this DVD? Can't seem to find on the web anywhere. The Available from: Phil Fallo Productions on patmartino.com email gets returned as undeliverable.

thanks!

Live at Ethel's Place DVD - Purchase Info Please

"axemanintraining",

I've contacted Phil Fallo, and received the following response:

"Pat, I'm in discussions with 2 distributors. hope to have the details worked out shortly".

Those particular works, "Open Road", as well as "Live At Ethel's Place" are in the process of being transfered from their original VHS versions to a DVD format. Have patience, they should be available sometime soon.

Best Wishes,

PM

Question about the "behaviour of your left hand"

Hi Pat,

To be able to experience the pleasure of getting more insight into your music, life and work through concerts, videos, books or cd/records means a lot to me and always touches my heart. I was deeply moved by your autobiography and i want to thank you very much for sharing all the memories. During the reading process i felt totally addicted to it, couldn't stop anymore once i started reading.

You have talked about your right hand acting so fiercely that it caused string-breaking. What about your left hand? Would you say you "hammer" the fingers on the fingerboard or is it more of a "gentle touch"? (Still wondering how such accurate phrasing like yours is possible at all)

I'm very happy that you will be coming to Switzerland later this year, hope to be able to get in touch then.

Beat

And now for something completely different and entirely true:

It was the late 1970s. My friend Bill and I had just heard that Pat Martino was going to be at Paul's Mall in Boston for one night and we were excited about seeing him live. Being guitar players, we had worn out his vinyl and, being university students, we weren't in the habit of leaving town.

It was a horrid, rainy night when we arrived at the club, which was pretty much empty. It stayed empty - I believe the gig was a very last-minute thing, and word had simply not gotten out about it. We had our choice of seating and grabbed a table right in front of the riser, on which two silverface Fender amps were set up. Twin Twins - they were going to play duos. Since Bill and I played duos, this was truly a special treat.

The lights were low. The only other people that I remember in the joint were sitting a few tables away - a large black guy in a green suit, out with his date. I remember that his shirt was too tight and that one of his collar points was sticking up. He hadn't noticed - he was drunk. His gal was wearing a brightly coloured dress.

Pat entered the stage with Bobby Rose. They carried matching L-5 guitars - one brown, one blonde. Or were they Johnny Smiths … I'm not sure.

Seated, they performed wonderfully, to a largely empty room. The familiar voice of Pat Martino illuminated the place with glorious music, and Bobby Rose was an ideal accompanist, telepathically locked in to Martino's playing. Familiar tunes - Sunny, How Insensitive and more. Pat played with his eyes closed, deeply into the music, very serious looking, very calm.

The gentleman at the other table was not happy. He started to mumble "Play some blues! Play some blues, man." My guess is that he was not familiar with Martino, and had anticipated a different sort of musical experience. He was not too loud in his exhortations, but the club was empty and he could certainly be heard from the stage. This heckling went on intermittently for quite some time, along with his conversation with his date, mostly about how he wished the band would play some blues, but Pat and Bobby ignored it and kept playing their music.

We also ignored it, our eyes riveted on the guitars and the hands dancing on them. After some time had passed, we heard a new sound - the intoxicated patron was throwing up - I glanced over and saw him, head between his knees, barfing up booze and supper onto the floor.

I looked back to the stage. The duo didn't stop playing, didn't miss a beat. Martino's eyes were still closed. But now he had a slight smile on his face.

hammertone, thanks for sharing the precious memory. I wish I could see Pat again, sometime soon.

Hi Pat

Hello Pat !
    I've been listening to you play for almost 40 years now. I don't know how, but your EXIT album is my all-time favorite. It sounds so great, so many moments of blissful lines from both you and Gil, and there's no flies on Davis and Hart. While we're all still alive to talk about it, I'd love it if you told me what you remember about making those recordings, how well you fellas all got along, and maybe even how it is you came to partner with them in the first place. Gil's long pitter-pattering piano lines make me smile every time I hear them, and your colorful, superbly volume-controlled inventions just make me shake my head in disbelief that any man has engaged the guitar as you have. You are most certainly one of a kind, Pat.
    I was just listening to THREE BASE HIT again yesterday. Damn, you guys were smokin' !!
    God bless you, Pat, and I hope your health is hanging in there. It's no fun gettin' old, is it ?
    Yes, I'm a guitar player too, and you, my friend, are my hero !

Cheops

any more memories

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    And now for something completely different and entirely true:

It was the late 1970s. My friend Bill and I had just heard that Pat Martino was going to be at Paul's Mall in Boston for one night and we were excited about seeing him live. Being guitar players, we had worn out his vinyl and, being university students, we weren't in the habit of leaving town.

It was a horrid, rainy night when we arrived at the club, which was pretty much empty. It stayed empty - I believe the gig was a very last-minute thing, and word had simply not gotten out about it. We had our choice of seating and grabbed a table right in front of the riser, on which two silverface Fender amps were set up. Twin Twins - they were going to play duos. Since Bill and I played duos, this was truly a special treat.

The lights were low. The only other people that I remember in the joint were sitting a few tables away - a large black guy in a green suit, out with his date. I remember that his shirt was too tight and that one of his collar points was sticking up. He hadn't noticed - he was drunk. His gal was wearing a brightly coloured dress.

Pat entered the stage with Bobby Rose. They carried matching L-5 guitars - one brown, one blonde. Or were they Johnny Smiths … I'm not sure.

Seated, they performed wonderfully, to a largely empty room. The familiar voice of Pat Martino illuminated the place with glorious music, and Bobby Rose was an ideal accompanist, telepathically locked in to Martino's playing. Familiar tunes - Sunny, How Insensitive and more. Pat played with his eyes closed, deeply into the music, very serious looking, very calm.

The gentleman at the other table was not happy. He started to mumble "Play some blues! Play some blues, man." My guess is that he was not familiar with Martino, and had anticipated a different sort of musical experience. He was not too loud in his exhortations, but the club was empty and he could certainly be heard from the stage. This heckling went on intermittently for quite some time, along with his conversation with his date, mostly about how he wished the band would play some blues, but Pat and Bobby ignored it and kept playing their music.

We also ignored it, our eyes riveted on the guitars and the hands dancing on them. After some time had passed, we heard a new sound - the intoxicated patron was throwing up - I glanced over and saw him, head between his knees, barfing up booze and supper onto the floor.

I looked back to the stage. The duo didn't stop playing, didn't miss a beat. Martino's eyes were still closed. But now he had a slight smile on his face.
    Hammertone, thanks a lot. I hope i'm not "bugging you", but if you have more memories of that particular night or maybe other nights when you saw Pat perform, please let us know.
    Last edited by JazzNote; May 3rd, 2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: corrected spelling mistake ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote View Post
    Hammertone, thanks a lot. I hope i'm not "bugging you", but if you have more memories of that particular night or maybe other nights when you saw Pat perform, please let us know.
    I don't have much to add to my description of that evening. There is no exaggeration or poetic license at all in what I wrote above - every word is true. That experience was not only a trip to the sublime but also to the ridiculous.

Stone Blue sheet Music

Hi all, my name is Todd and im new to the forum. Thanks Pat for all your great music, im a huge fan. Do you know where i can find a lead sheet for a few tunes off Stone Blue "With all the People" and "Mac Tough". thanks!