Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kurt Elling

Kurt Elling

Haven't seen anything mentioned about Kurt Elling? With so few good jazz singers out there, and Mark Murphy ready to hang up his crown, Kurt needs to be seriously listened to.
    Have a listen, folks. you won't regret it.
    Boplicity

Elling is nothing but a Murphy wannabe, and Murphy is so over the top he's the male Streisand.

Give me Bill Henderson any thime.

User
    He's definitely a Murphy-inspired singer. I found his first few albums enjoyable, and while not perfect, they all had some quality cuts on them. His more recent output, though, has been disappointing for me. The next release sounds like it has possibilities.
    Hip To It!

Thumbs up Mark Murphy/Kurt Elling

Hry, I didn't mean that Mark Murphy was over the hill, just that it's getting to the time when he's bound to start winding down. I know he does a punishing schedule of touring and master classes, all over the place, but I remember speaking to him in 1984, and he was thinking of slowing things up a bit,even then. Maybe he'll go on and on. He still sounds good.
    Of course Kurt Elling has moulded himself on Mark a lot, but if you think of his talent, and his relative youthfulness, he can only get better. Mark was a lot less hip a singer at his age, but then, the world was, also. Mark's always been his own man, and I suppose it's difficult to do something new, for any up-and-coming singer.
    If anyone's got any other singers to promote, please let us know.

I like a guy called Tom Lellis, but you don't hear much of him.

Here in the UK, a young 23 year old pianist-singer in the Harry Connick mould, called Jamie Cullum, has just been offered a contract worth a million pounds, by some big company. Mark Murphy told me that, as long as he sang what he wanted, he'd always be travelling second class to gigs.
    Boplicity

Kurt Elling is, IMO, a pretentious singer who tries ever so hard to be "hip" a la Murphy (who is still trying). I think jazz needs honest singers, and Elling is not that.

Originally posted by David Gitin
    Elling, Murphy, Jon Hendricks, and Kevin Mahogany will appear at Monterey Jazz Festival in September!
    That could easily be a most-avoid mess!

It is sad evidence of the fact that there really are no noteworthy male jazz singers on the scene today.

Andy Bey!

Hey, Bev, I'll take Andy over any of the others.

I'm not a great fan of male jazz vocals - the hipsterisms of Murphy and Elling bother me too.

But Andy Bey's recent recordings have been some of my favourite vocal discs of recent times.

Back in the Ella/Sarah/Billie thread I suggested that I doubted there were 3 male singers about who you (we) could agree the way we seemed to about those three women. The discussion so far would seem to prove that.

Why, though? Why so many fine young(ish) women singers and so few men (are there ANY?) Is it that boys who take music lessons tend to gravitate toward playing jazz, but girls don't? Or do girls still concentrate on instruments that haven't traditionally been associated with jazz (the violin family), rather than trumpet & saxophone? Or do fewer men take up singing because there are fewer male singers to model themselves after? Worth some thought?

I may be in the minority, but I own all of Elling's releases and thoroughly enjoy them, although as much for Laurence Hobgood as for anything else. Elling may be trying too hard to be hip, but I like his voice and Hobgood comes up with some great arrangement.
    aka YertleTheTurtle

liamw,

It might be genetic.

Most jazz listeners are male. Just as most males would prefer to look at a female so we are programmed to respond to the sound of a female. The sound of a female voice sets off all sorts of triggers within us beyond any abstract beauty of sound.

Maybe we'd see more male singers if there were more female listeners!

Of course my theory is torpedoed totally by the fact that I can think of plenty of male singers in the folk, rock and country fields who I find very moving.

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

I for on have tried to get into both Murphy and Elling without success. Neither holds much appeal for me, but the previously mentioned Kevin Mahogany is another story. His deep resonant voice really appeals to me and I find that while his early releases were a little uneven, his last three have been outstanding. Another Time Another Place from1997 is very enjoyable and My Romance from 1998 is one of my favorite albums by a vocalist of either gender. Teach Me Tonight, Stairway To The Stars and the title track are all outstanding! Apparently Warner Brothers did not agree with me as Mahogany did not re-appear until last year now on Telarc and while I am not usually fond of tribute albums, his release Pride and Joy in tribute to the Motown sound is a great release. Mahogany brings the lyrics to the fore and it is like hearing these classics for the first time! He totally revamps Just My Imagination, long one of my favorite pop tunes and does equal justice to the other ten compositions he covers.
    jav

"Kurt Elling is, IMO, a pretentious singer who tries ever so hard to be "hip"

- And you would think this, but did it occur to you that Elling might have more of a sense of humor about his thing than you do??? I think he's fun, and I don't care whether he seriously thinks he's some hip dude or not, because the guy is ENTERTAINING....Jerry Seinfeld strikes me as pretentious also, but he makes me laugh so I'm more than willing to look past that.

I also think Elling's about as much Mark Murphy as Wallace Roney is Miles. In other words- to the uncritical or jaded ear, it will sound all much the same, but in both cases you can hear some distinctive nuance if you care to.
    James Hurt is da man.

but did it occur to you that Elling might have more of a sense of humor about his thing than you do??? I think he's fun, and I don't care whether he seriously thinks he's some hip dude or not, because the guy is ENTERTAINING

_________________-

Couldn't have put it better. I also think he is astute enough to know that he is boppin' in Murphy's footsteps, which is no big deal. Everyone has influences....Murphy says that Andy Bey is one of his favourites ( but also admitted somewhere, that he thought Sade was cool !)
    Boplicity