Thread: The Music of Paul Chambers

The Music of Paul Chambers

The discography of Paul Chambers as a leader isn't hugh, but the records he made as a leader are just marvolous:

"Chambers' Music", 1956 (Jazz West)
    "Whims of Chambers", 1956 (Blue Note)
    "Paul Chambers Quintet", 1957 (Blue Note)
    "Bass on Top", 1957 (Blue Note)
    "Go", 1959 (Vee-Jay)
    "1st Bassman", 1960 (Vee-Jay)

Much more important are his recordings as a sideman. I better don't start to list them all, 'cause this would cost me a lot of time, but I can recoment every recording of labels such as Prestige or Blue Note where Chambers performed over the years
    "Paul Chambers is one of the greatest bass players in jazz. His playing is beyond what I could say about it. The bass is such an important instrument, and has so much to do with a group and a solist can best function that I feel very fortunate to have had him on this recording dates and to have been able to work with him in Miles Davis' band so long."

- John Coltrane -

Chamber's playing Yesterdays on his Bass On Top session with Kenny Burrell is just gorgeous, beautiful, and haunting at the same time. I need to get myself a copy.

User
    Of course, those BNs and "Chambers Music" are collected in the Paul Chambers Mosaic Select set along with a few others.
    Hip To It!

Look out for this albums of Chambers as Sideman:

Milt Jackson and John Coltrane - Bags and Trane
    Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
    Kenny Drew - Kenny Drew TRio
    Red Garland - (Take all his Prestige Recordings)
    Dexter Gordon - Clear The Dex
    Whynton Kelly - Whynton Kelly!
    Jackie McLean - Caputchin Swing
    Hank Mobley - Roll Call / Soul Station

Chambers' pizzicato and arco work at his best. I can really recomment them.
    "Paul Chambers is one of the greatest bass players in jazz. His playing is beyond what I could say about it. The bass is such an important instrument, and has so much to do with a group and a solist can best function that I feel very fortunate to have had him on this recording dates and to have been able to work with him in Miles Davis' band so long."

- John Coltrane -

about 15 years ago i studied with pianist lee shaw and i was quite impressed to hear that chambers had been in her trio which also included her husband on drums. i have been a chambers fan since hearing him on oliver nelson's stolen moments.
    i asked her for some tales about working with chambers and unfortunately all she really chose to share was that at the time he was strung out and he didn't last long before he was fired.....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Chambers
    Look out for this albums of Chambers as Sideman:

Milt Jackson and John Coltrane - Bags and Trane
    Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
    Kenny Drew - Kenny Drew TRio
    Red Garland - (Take all his Prestige Recordings)
    Dexter Gordon - Clear The Dex
    Whynton Kelly - Whynton Kelly!
    Jackie McLean - Caputchin Swing
    Hank Mobley - Roll Call / Soul Station

Chambers' pizzicato and arco work at his best. I can really recomment them.
    also Coltrane's Blue Trane
    The soul is dyed the colours of its thoughts
    -Marcus Aurelius

"Chamber´s Music" is really a great album. Besides the original session with Trane, Kenny Drew and Philly J.J., my japanese CD also has 3 bonus thracks from an earlier session, also featuring Coltrane, with Curtis Fuller and Pepper Adams added. All this tracks I allready had in the 70s on a BlueNote LA-series double LP.
    About the mentioned "Yesterdays" on Bass on Top: Yes indeed, that´s some gorgeous bowing.
    Other examples of great bowing of Chambers when he recorded as a sideman are: Coltrane "Stardust" , which I like very much, and there´s a fantastic solo on the Hank Mobley/John Coltrane/ Al Cohn/ Zoot Sims - album "Tenor Conclave" (the last track: "How deep is the ocean"). And dig his solo on Bud Powell´s "Down with it" from "The Scene Changes". It´s a really uptempo thing in f-minor, similar to Dizzy´s "Be-bop".

Rob Palmer

Re: Paul Chambers

There is also a 'Paul Chambers/Tommy Flanagan' CD called 'Motor City Scene' (it is actually a set of Thad Jones and Donald Byrd sessions that have been repackaged to take advantage of Chambers and Flanagan's 'celebrity' (whatever that is!). The work is of a high standard, nice arrngements well executed and Paul plays great.

For the record, I am writing a biography on Paul and his discography is vast (300+ LPs listed in Tom Lord's discography) and growing (mostly new releases of Miles and Coltrane works every year).

Keep listening!

I know that there hasn't been a post in this therad about Paul Chambers for a long time now, but I just found two real good videos of the Wynton Kelly Trio (with Paul Chambers on Bass and Jimmy Cobb on Drums) and John Coltrane on Tenor Saxophone. That's the only video where I've actually seen Paul Chambers up close and actually having a solo, both pizz and with a bow, (the only other videos you can see Paul Chambers play is the broadcast of Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue from 1959 and Miles Davis with the Gil Evans Orchestra). That thing's just a bith. In both videos PC has solos, (in the first one) one arco (wow!) and one piccicato and (in the second one) again an arco solo and then also John Coltrane and Wynton Kelly have solos that really swings. I have a ton of Paul Chambers CD's as both Leader and Sidemen (I would say about 120 CD's) but to see him play is even better (although the sound quality is much better on the CD's and records). Just check it out, it's a joy for every Paul Chambers fan and bassplayer.

Paul Chambers w/ the John Coltrane Quartet

Paul Chambers w/ the John Coltrane Quartet (Green Dolphin Street)

- John Coltrane -

and when will we read your bio about Paul Chambers?

Quote Originally Posted by SatinDoll View Post
    Someday, when I got time for that (school's real demanding right now). I'll do my best, pal.

- John Coltrane -

ok, ok...we´ll see

Rob Palmer
    Quote Originally Posted by SatinDoll View Post
    August 2012

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-P-C-Chamber...1223792&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-P-C-Chamb...1223697&sr=1-1

Chambers was very creative and rock solid in his support roles. His arco solos were distinctive, if not always completely in tune. In fact, his intonation was spotty at times but easily overlooked, IMO, due to his wealth of ideas and and his ability to interact in the group setting so successfully. He lacked Mingus' brilliance and Ray Brown's grace but he was an important player in the lineage of the music. He sure made a lot of gigs and record dates, too!
    "Don't play what's there, play what's not there.”
    Miles Davis