Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Instructional Videos for Jazz Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by senorblues
    The Emily Remler is a DVD a FRIEND GOT OFF THE NET AND i'M PRETTY SURE IT'S HOT LICKS. I don't feel bad about getting it free because Emily is no longer with us much to my sadness. She is very understandable unlike some other greats who have stuff like geometry diagrams. He style worked for me very well.
    I didn't realize that she passed away. Natural causes? Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately it was I believe, a Heart attack thanks to her abundant tastes for things she should not have partook in.

She was a great player, and I felt a great writer, a better writer then a player... not to take away from her playing. A bigger complement to her writing I suppose.

That JM disc sounds interesting and if I was really into his playing then I probably would be chomping at the bit to get it. Right now I'm just restlessly waiting a chance to borrow it perhaps from a friend of mine who lives and breathes all thinks John Mc. I would be moritified if he did not have it.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it or not but there's a pretty good Joe Pass hot licks vid where he talks about chord sub and solo chording over I VI ii V progressions. Since Joe is not an overly complex guy it is really easy to understand, crystal clear. The Sound sucks on any copy I have watched but he gives a lot of cool ideas just about such a simple subject as how to sub out I VI ii V progressions.
    Guitarist/Composer/Educator
    Check out my website
    Buy my CD Follow from iTunes

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeweiser
    I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it or not but there's a pretty good Joe Pass hot licks vid where he talks about chord sub and solo chording over I VI ii V progressions. Since Joe is not an overly complex guy it is really easy to understand, crystal clear. The Sound sucks on any copy I have watched but he gives a lot of cool ideas just about such a simple subject as how to sub out I VI ii V progressions.
    I've seen this video. It's either a Hotlicks or REH video. The sound does suck but it is definitely worthwhile for some ideas for chord subs on a I VI ii V.

Quote Originally Posted by El Hombre
    I didn't realize that she passed away. Natural causes? Sorry to hear that.

She died of a heart attack due to a cocaine od.

Quote Originally Posted by gennation
    Yeah, he's had about three different sites now over the years...they are ALL time consuming to navigate. I'm always surprised at why they don't just do it simple...but John's been suprising me for decades

Think if you could have 5 hours of lesson from a master guitarist, The Master Guitarist) at $20 a half hour (which seems to be the rate all over the place, not uncommon). That would be $200 right...so maybe that'll make the $160 not seems so bad.

So, you have probably the greatest living guitarist (for less than the price of 10 lessons) taking you from Intervals, diatonic scales, traids, deep modal concepts, ii-V-I progressions, modes of the Harm Min, modes of the Melodic Min, Indian time singnatures...playing over So What, Nostalgia, 5 In the Morning 6 In the Afternoon (Shakti!), Fallen Angels, etc...plus the "Library" over a 100 ideas pertaining to the lessons.

Go here and download the Library Transcribtions, Tabs, and PDF: http://www.abstractlogix.com/features_view.php?idno=22

Read through the info at that site too. It'll show you the 12 Chapters.

I thought this stuff was enough...until my wife gave me the DVD's on Valentine's Day...the way John lays it out and explains it...there's no substitution.

NOTE But, REMEMBER you have to be able to read or follow along by ear. The tab was done secondary by an outside source and is not always written in the location of the fretboard John is playing in.
    I just bought the McLaughlin DVD and it's okay but I don't think you can compare it to private lessons. You can question a live teacher, you can't question a DVD. A live teacher can correct things that you are doing because they can see what you are doing. A DVD can't.

Also, talent as a player doesn't necessarily make someone a good teacher. Based on the two chapters that I have looked at so far I would say that Mclaughlin falls somewhere in the middle. He starts off with modes in C which is a resonable place to start but instead of playing through the entire guitar he starts them from 8th position. You have to be able to play your scales in every position and there are many ways that he could have done that. You might say that this isn't a beginning DVD so that's why he skiped it. But if that's the case why spend an entire chapter on it.

Intervals a done Ionian 3rds-Dorian 4ths-Phrygian 5ths-Lydian 6ths-Mixolydian 7ths. Given the price of this DVD he could have gone into this more thourouhly.

It's great to play along with Mclauglin but I wish I could ask him about things like his picking. Given what I paid I hope it gets better but if it doesn't, it's way over priced.

Hi Everybody,

i have read Remler died by injecting an overdose of the purest heroine she "met" in Australia. Sad story, the article said, she used to take drugs to survive in the masculine music world...

My favorites are the Hot Licks - Videos of her.
    Brunos "No Nonsense" are nice as well.

Anybody can please send me the pdf of Joe Pass' "Jazz Lines"? Would be great. Thanks!

For my money I really like the Robert Conti DVD's. No theorizing, just him showing you line by line a complete solo (usually a chorus or two). If you like the way he plays - it's pretty hard to beat someone showing you exactly what they are doing rather than just talking or theorizing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by artmaus
    I just bought the McLaughlin DVD and it's okay...
    I second this critique. The video is good, but definitely not worth the money they are charging for it.

I have it from jazz musicians who knew Emily how it happened and I think one poster said it. She had been struggling with her addiction (heroin) for years and finaly got clean a year or so before her death. She had a dissapointing gig in Sidney and went and scored on impulse and was found dead in a bathroom. Her talent was imense and unlike some critics stated, she was an inovater, in her last years. Her Dvd is a great one and she doesn't get overtechnical. She explains Bossa Nova chord-bass playing and shows how it's done by playing the lesser know bossa "the red blouse" She also explains her concept of improving over dom. chords using a mixolydian with a b5 scale but she arrives at this through another explanation. There's more but I haven't gotten to it yet.

emily remler

I've been trying to find her on VHS ( I think she made two), but apparently the only ones on DVD are the Hot Licks Learn with the Six Masters series. Anybody know where to find the two she made by herself? One is Bebop and Swing, and I'm not sure what the other one is called.

Jeff

Emily

The second one:

Emily Remler - Advanced Jazz And Latin Improvisation

Couldnt find a link for buying as well... only torrents for downloading...

The Joe Pass "Jazz Lines" video is in full length (so it seems) on youtube... anyone got the notation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBHi8kxER

There is as well the intro song "Man in the Mirror" of a hot licks - video of Tuck Andress - different style, but maybe anybody seen the whole video and could comment this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vhDqYpRyLM

Has anyone seen the Bill Frisell one? It's been out on VHS for ages I believe, but they're putting in on DVD in November. Any thoughts on it?
    Pocket, Pocket, Help.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruttii
    Hi Everybody,

i have read Remler died by injecting an overdose of the purest heroine she "met" in Australia. Sad story, the article said, she used to take drugs to survive in the masculine music world...

What's really sad is that it sounds like someone (article writer, perhaps?) is using her death to advance a personal agenda.

Also, just to set the record straight, actual heroin overdoses are quite rare. Addicts develop enormous tolerances and can handle large amounts suprisingly well. What happens in most "overdoses" is actually an overdose of an adulterant such as quinine. So if this smack was really pure, an actual overdose from an excessive amount would seem unlikely.
    therickgreene.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anton
    Has anyone seen the Bill Frisell one? It's been out on VHS for ages I believe, but they're putting in on DVD in November. Any thoughts on it?

I saw a Frisell VHS about a year ago, but I can't remember the title. It was ostensibly an instructional video, but there was little of any practical use. He talked about his effects pedals, played some licks here and there, but never really got into any theory. I love his playing, but personally he seems a bit odd. Almost like a savant or something. I actually found the whole thing quite humorous, though I felt as though I may have lost several IQ points in the process.

Maybe he should call his music "savant garde..."
    therickgreene.com