Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jazz on a Les Paul?

Jazz on a Les Paul?

Hello again, all amazingly knowledgable jazz people!

Just wandering if anyone knows of any jazz guys using a Les Paul (and if so if you can remember what amp they used? that'd be cool ).

Only asking, 'cos the best guitar i have ever played on, has been a 57' Re-issue goldtop, and i'm nearly in the position whereby i could buy something like the new president (2nd hand) or a 57' Goldtop (2nd hand).

Like i said, never played a guitar nicer than this goldtop, just fancy knowing, A) if anyone else has done it before, B) if you guys think it could be done and C) just your general opinion on this somewhat (maybe?) slightly unusual suggestion?

(Please, please, Pleeeeeaaase, refrain from saying anything like "it dosn't matter what your playing it on, if your styles good and your techniques right then you'll sound good on anything!",)

Thank you again guys, for all the help you always seem to offer me
    “That will always be my music, man. I play 'Kind of Blue' every day -- it's my orange juice. It still sounds like it was made yesterday.” - Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by StringIsKing View Post
    ...Just wandering if anyone knows of any jazz guys using a Les Paul (and if so if you can remember what amp they used? that'd be cool ).
    Les Paul on a Les Paul!:

but seriously, i can't think of any jazz players that use a Les Paul, besides Les Paul. i don't remember what amps he uses.
    Last edited by thedwork; February 18th, 2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: fixed image

Well, yeah, i guess there is that guy too (sorry Les, only kiddin')

I'm gonna try one tomorrow with the Roland cube 60 and see what happens, hopefully i'll be very pleasantly surprised. But i know for playability it's awsome, it just never wants to be put down.

Like i said though, just really interested to pick everyones brains as to whether they have been used much in this context, or as to whether people even believe they can be appropriate for this context, not just in melodic improvisation but in Rhythm and Chordal setting too.

Like i said though, Your Two cents are always helpfull guys, so just throw them at me!

any higher denominations of tender are welcome also!
    “That will always be my music, man. I play 'Kind of Blue' every day -- it's my orange juice. It still sounds like it was made yesterday.” - Quincy Jones

Lorne Lofsky, a fine canadian guitarist who has worked and recorded with people like Oscar Peterson and Ed Bickert, used a Les Paul at one time. He still uses solidbody guitars, but seems to have switched brands a couple of times. Anyway, I would recommend looking for his work. Not sure what amps he's used.

i used one...until i got my epiphone.

with flatwounds and using the neckpickup, EQ the mids up not a bad sound at all. amp setting flat with slight mid boost.

damn heavy and the Epi has more of the classic dry jazz sound.
    http://www.asiftrio.org

Mr. Pat Martino played one early on, dunno what amp but probably BF Fenders.
    From this site:
    My father bought me a Gibson Les Paul Standard, the gold painted model. This was in 1956.
    This was a gold top Les Paul with white soap-bar pickups?
    That’s right. Within six months we exchanged it for a Les Paul Custom, the black beauty “fretless wonder. ” When we were first in Wurlitzer’s I saw and wanted that one, but my father said, “You’re not good enough yet. ”
    He wanted you to strive and work for it...
    That’s it exactly.
    Was that Les Paul Custom the one you played in the first phase of your professional career?
    Yes, I played it for many years.
    Al DiMeola played Les Pauls a lot through 100 W Marshall heads.

Larry Coryell also, I can recall seeing him play a white Custom, that was a beautiful axe. Amp was a Twin Reverb, if I remember correctly.

Forgot to mention- there are others who have used them... John Abercrombie, Coryell, McLaughlin, Dimeola.

Lorne Lofsky used his in more of a "mainstream" jazz context, though (no doubt influenced by the solidbody work of Ed Bickert, who is famous for using a Tele).

Sounds interesting

Just had a look into him (Lorne Lofsky) sounds good, found an LP "it could happen to you"

will get myself a copy, So cheers

I suppose actually, what you have said there, poses the question i really meant to (or should have) ask(ed).

How many Prominent Jazz guitarists play on solidbodies? (more specifically Les Pauls, but i guess solidbodies alone are quite unusual territory for most performing Jazz guitarists?)

Correct me if i'm wrong...

Also... (Dangerous territory here)

And do you think this is Always due to tone, or do you hink that some musicians may feel somewhat compelled to play hollowbodies and semis just because they think the genre says they should do so? as an aesthetic of the music? (not at all saying that the music says they should, the player is obviously the only one who can decide, but still, know what i mean?)

- don't get the wrong idea, i have nothing against hollows or semi's (obviously, as my preffered owned guitar of choice at the moment is my Sheraton)

Just do you think it's a possibity that this might be the case is some instances? and i don't neccessarily mean proffessionals in the public eye either, just people maybe a semi pro level or advanced who havent made it big yet?

And wow, McLaughlin! (i can't believe i didn't know that! )

And Pat martino! (that section was great Btw

I'm Very Surprised, i must admit, i didn't realise so many top guys have used them!

Very Glad i asked now!

Found a Larry Coryell video with the white Les Paul (but the trapeze inlays, the standard knobs and the white pickguard suggest that it's not a Custom, neither a Studio; probalby a custom shop model or a refin), the amp behind him looks (and sounds!) pretty much like a Roland JC-120: WARNING! Bright side player content. <click>

Haha!

you can play it on any instrument, doesn't matter. You're just going to have different tone colors on solid body guitars then guitars that are semi or fully hollow.

Probably 30 years ago people said you cannot play jazz on a Strat... now you find a lot of guys using strats in jazz. Same with Telecasters, the aforementioned Ed Bickert has been using a Tele for decades, Mike Stern, Bill Frisell on and on.

Les Paul users like those mentioned get a different sound yet still dark and warm in a lot of cases because they are heavy guitars with lots of wood in them get a thicker sound in many cases. I had a friend who played on a Paul and he had a great jazz tone.

Personally, i hate them, can't play them but they sure do look nice!
    Guitarist/Composer/Educator
    Check out my website
    Buy my CD Follow from iTunes

I don't see why not Les paul uses one ...Back in the day when he first put pick ups on what he called the log...It was basiclly a piece of wood with guitar neck set up that he would make to look like a full size jazzbox...That's when gibson called him to produce soild boby electric guitars...With the right pickups and stings it should sound fine...I play a strat for every thing I use light stings and a bright setting on my fender tube amp with NO effects just maybe a hint of reverb ...Tone is subjective

(thanks For the response Jake, was beginning to think you may not show:P!)

For me (like i said)
    the main thing with this guitar, (it was my friends guitar, and the guy who i use for tech stuff set it up for him) was the sheer easiness of playability.

i can't remember the sound if i'm honest, but i do remember feeling as if my ability had been raised by about 5-10% instantly just by playing it.

However (as was concluded in a somewhat lengthly thread while ago :P) the sound i like from a guitar is fairly Dark side, and i need to find out really, wheather this can be achieved on a Paul (specifically the 57').

even if that means not getting a cube 60 and waiting for something like a Polytone Brute to come along, just to squeeze any darkness i can out of it

Quote Originally Posted by bluemood View Post
    I don't see why not Les paul uses one ...Back in the day when he first put pick ups on what he called the log...It was basiclly a piece of wood with guitar neck set up that he would make to look like a full size jazzbox...

Good point,

Yeah, i've seen a few pictures of that, he used an Epiphone body, Right? to make it look more appealling?

I didn't realise untill i did some reading on him a while ago, but he was the leader of a fair few innovations wasn't he? like multi track recording