Thread: speaker repair

speaker repair

Having previously checked out the cost and inconvenience of repairing my Macintosh woofers, I found a way to repair them myself. And to my great relief they are now back at full power and fidelity. If anyone wants the recipe all he need do is ask. Meanwhile I am basking in self satisfaction and once again in great audio.
    Frank

OK - What was broken and how'd you fix it?

tenacity and glue

I first thought my speakers were through, woofers needed reconing. There are 8 of them, 12 inch dia. Reconing would cost an arm and a leg requiring shipping them off to the professionals. Fortunately it turned out that the cones themselves are perfectly ok, but there's something called a 'surround', which is a circular rubberized fabric holding the speaker cone to frame of the speaker. This has a lifetime of about 25 or 30 years, after which it just deteriorates, leaving the speaker cone loose and able to rub up against its frame, sounding horrible. Turns out there's an outfit called "simplyspeakers" on the internet that makes new surrounds. You still have to take off the old stuff, and carefully glue the new ones in place after cleaning both the edge of the frame and the edge of the cone. That's where the tenacity comes in. slow work, but if you're careful, it can be done. Just one more job a homeowner learns how to do, never to be required again, leastways for 25 or 30 years.

The secret is to use glue which sets in 3 to 5 minutes, no longer, no shorter.Glue, by the way, comes with the surrounds from "simplyspeakers"
    The entire rig comes complete, costs about 30 bucks a kit-one per speaker.
    Frank

That's what I thought had happened. Hats off to you for tackling it - I just had a pair of bookshelfs done a few months ago by a friend in the biz. You'd be surprised how many have thrown out good speakers or had drivers needlessly replaced. At one time that surround was also a synthetic foam which was susceptible over a period of time to deterioration by infra-red light, as in sunlight. Hence the rubberized.