Thread: Keith Jarrett at Carnegie Hall

Banned User

Keith Jarrett at Carnegie Hall

I saw Jarrett with his trio: Gary Peacock and Jack Dejohnette last night. The music was fantastic - it was my first time seeing Jarrett so it was an adjustment to watch him perform with his back to the audience and all the dancing he does. Pretty fascinating to watch. He played a lot of standards like Some Day My Prince Will Come and God Bless the Child. The band was great, although I wish Gary's bass had been miked a little louder, he seemed a bit lost in the mix.

The only odd thing was all the scolding of the audience members. At the beginning of the second set Jarrett went up to the mike and made some nice comments on how great it was to work with Gary and Jack and as he was sitting down, Jack got up to go to the mike. I think everyone was thinking he was going to say something about Keith, but instead he yelled at someone to turn off the "red light" which I assumed was the red light of a video camera, but I'm not sure. He added: "That is very disrespectful."

After the third encore, Keith went up to the mike and said: "I'm don't usually issue a challange, but I'm issuing a challange to all the STUPID people out there that are still taking pictures. When we finish this tune, try not to snap our photo and I'll send you a prize in the mail. And it won't be a camera."

Seemed weird to me to say something like that on the final encore, by that time what difference does it make. And personally I didn't even notice the cameras going off, except for one flash I saw when they were taking a bow.

Good music though.

Interesting. If you listen to his recent Carnegie Hall disc, he's very complimentary of the audience. And there's even some affectionate banter back and forth with the audience.

The people running the concert hall should have made sure there were no cameras, etc.
    "There comes a time in all of our lives where silence is a betrayal." -- The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

I was at the Carneigie hall show also. Keith was okay Dejohnette was at the top of his form. Peacock (the weak link in the band) was out of tune most of the time (I was in the sixth row so I was able to hear fine).

This is about the 8th time I've seen this trio, which I love. Jarretts antics at the piano have gotten old and are distracting. For all the trios desire for quiet and respect from the audience it's time for Keith to start respecting his audience more and stop with his theatrics.

The thing that got me the most was his speak after the intermission when he thanked Peacock and De Johnette. He said " I feel like that this is part of history and you should too." What can you say to that. The man's ego could not get any bigger. The man is a brilliant musician but to go out there and say it like that is to ridiculous for words.

Quote Originally Posted by artmaus View Post
    The thing that got me the most was his speak after the intermission when he thanked Peacock and De Johnette. He said " I feel like that this is part of history and you should too." What can you say to that. The man's ego could not get any bigger. The man is a brilliant musician but to go out there and say it like that is to ridiculous for words.

artmaus, the NY Times critic Jon Pareles mentions Jarrett's remark too in his write-up about the show: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/23/ar...ic&oref=slogin

Jarrett's a wonderful musician, but... sheesh! Talk about an inflated sense of your own importance! Oi.
    Explore my web site dedicated to Bobby Hutcherson:
    http://www.musicweb-international.com/jazz/Hutcherson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCloskey View Post
    I saw Jarrett with his trio: Gary Peacock and Jack Dejohnette last night. The music was fantastic...

The only odd thing was all the scolding of the audience members...

After the third encore, Keith went up to the mike and said: "I'm don't usually issue a challange, but I'm issuing a challange to all the STUPID people out there that are still taking pictures. When we finish this tune, try not to snap our photo and I'll send you a prize in the mail. And it won't be a camera."
    yeah. i've seen this trio a few times and every concert Keith will find something to whine about. sometimes justified sometimes probably not. it comes with the dinner.

on the one hand you figure hey, he's a grown up now. he knows what to expect, he knows the score. maybe he could try and let that stuff slide a little for his own sake - you know... relax. go with the flow.

on the other hand, he can do whatever he wants and nobody should tell him what to do. if people keep coming he's got no reason to change his behavior. if people got fed up enough w/ his behavior and stopped going to his performances because of it, i bet he'd chill.

the main thing is he's a great pianist. i've yet to come across one person who doesn't agree with that.

i've also heard stories about peacock being pretty snotty and full of himself. oh well. as long as you're not intentionally messin' w/ someone else's freedom or well-being. we've still got freedom of speech here. well, er...

New York based jazz musician. Chris Covais's Avatar
    Everyone's got these ego problems. Except, the people who are like that are only right in their own minds.
    Chris Covais

Jazz Vibraphonist/Drummer/Composer.

myspace.com/chriscovais

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Covais View Post
    Everyone's got these ego problems.
    Sorry, but this is one HUGE load of bull. There are MANY enormously talented jazz musicians whose behaviour has NEVER ONCE approached the nastiness of Prince Keith.

As in every other area in life, crap like this persists because it is excused. I'll spend my $$ on talented, well-mannered jazz musicians, thank you, like San Diego guitarist Bob Boss -- whose got his debut cd available at a gig I'm going to in a few minutes. Fine Italian dinner -- good jazz ------ does life get any sweeter?
    Support AAJ, *quality* jazz radio and your local jazz musicians!

Sleep apnea is a killer. Research it, and test yourself and your kids.
    http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=15268
    http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/apnea.html
    http://www.sleepapnea.org/ (American Sleep Apnea Association)

New York based jazz musician. Chris Covais's Avatar
    I don't know for sure, but I'd say we all think highly of ourselves at one time or another. Some of us just don't reveal it, as Keith obviously did.
    Chris Covais

Jazz Vibraphonist/Drummer/Composer.

myspace.com/chriscovais

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Covais View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I'd say we all think highly of ourselves at one time or another..........
    Perhaps you're unaware, Chris, that Keith has a history of this sort of behaviour. Sure -- we all *think* highly of ourselves from time to time -- but the objection here isn't about *thinking.* It's about *actions.* Dig?
    Support AAJ, *quality* jazz radio and your local jazz musicians!

Sleep apnea is a killer. Research it, and test yourself and your kids.
    http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/showthread.php?t=15268
    http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/apnea.html
    http://www.sleepapnea.org/ (American Sleep Apnea Association)

I've passed up Keith Jarrett records in the dollar bin.