Page 1 of 22 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarrett opens a concert dissing the audience

Jarrett opens a concert dissing the audience

Yesterday, at Umbria Jazz festival in Perugia, Italy, Keith Jarrett went onstage and, before even sitting down, said these very words:

”I don’t speak Italian, but I hope that somebody who speaks English tell those assholes to shut off those ****ing cameras. Until you don’t do it, music won’t be at its best and you will have spent your money for nothing. I’m speaking to you, you, you, and you, and also you up there. If I see one single flash during the concert, I and Gary and Jack reserve to ourselves the right to stop playing and leave this goddamn city. It’s your privilege to be here, not mine”.

At the end of the concert, he refused to do an encore because of two (two!) flashlights he saw while the whole audience was honouring him with a standing ovation.

I swear it's the last time I pay to listen to this bastard egomaniac.
    A limerick fan from Australia
    Regarded his work as a failure:
    His verses were fine
    Until the fourth line.

Jarrett opens a concert dissing the audience
    that's surprising.
    Discover Jazz Near You! | Visit All About Jazz.

I wonder how Jack DeJohnette feels about all that.

Heuristic of the Mystic CoyotePalace's Avatar
    How was the music?

Not bad.
    Jarrett was in top form, Peacock and DeJohnette didn't do anything special, and sometimes they looked almost bored. Would have been wonderful for an average jazz trio, but just ok for THAT trio.
    A limerick fan from Australia
    Regarded his work as a failure:
    His verses were fine
    Until the fourth line.

Oppressed into submission jazzbluescat's Avatar
    Yeah, I wish I could do something like that(and get away with it).
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    Yesterday, at Umbria Jazz festival in Perugia, Italy, Keith Jarrett went onstage and, before even sitting down, said these very words:

ĒI donít speak Italian, but I hope that somebody who speaks English tell those assholes to shut off those ****ing cameras. Until you donít do it, music wonít be at its best and you will have spent your money for nothing. Iím speaking to you, you, you, and you, and also you up there. If I see one single flash during the concert, I and Gary and Jack reserve to ourselves the right to stop playing and leave this goddamn city. Itís your privilege to be here, not mineĒ.

At the end of the concert, he refused to do an encore because of two (two!) flashlights he saw while the whole audience was honouring him with a standing ovation.

I swear it's the last time I pay to listen to this bastard egomaniac.

I am ok with demanding that the cameras be turned off and being even rude about it but saying "I and Gary and Jack reserve to ourselves the right to stop playing and leave this goddamn city. Itís your privilege to be here, not mineĒ is a total disrespect to a beautiful city and to all of the hard working people who put on maybe the best Jazz festival in the world.

Anyway keep the reviews coming.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbluescat View Post
    Yeah, I wish I could do something like that(and get away with it).

I just wish I had anyone at my gigs who wanted to take my picture.

I remember him doing a similar thing at Carnegie Hall several years ago. He said something like, "I don't remember telling my Mother that I wanted to have my picture taken when I grow up. Tell you what, we're going to all come out here so if you have a camera take your pictures now and then put them away."

They posed, pictures were taken, the flashes stopped and they proceded to go back to their instruments. The second Keith sat down a flash went off and he went nuts. He actually said if you're sitting next to the guy with the camera...you know what to do.

Later on someone yelled out "what song was that?" It was Billie's Bounce as I recall, even my wife knew that. Keith was stunned and made a remark about New York audiences. Then someone else yelled, "if you'd tell us what you played, we wouldn't have to ask."

I'm surprised he didn't just walk offstage and call it a night.

Was anyone else at that concert? It was a JVC Jazz Festival show in maybe 1995...

He should tour with Mike Patton and Tool who both share a certain amount of contempt for their audiences.

For an hour of getting to hear Dejohnette, he can yell at me AND spank me when he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    ...I swear it's the last time I pay to listen to this bastard egomaniac.
    Might be you attended to a historical event: the last concert of Keith Jarrett in Umbria. Or do you think he will be invited again?

Has it been recorded? "The Last Umbria Concert" would be a nice title for his next ECM release.
    The horizon of most people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view. (Albert Einstein)

Banned User
    They did they same thing at Carnegie Hall a few weeks ago. Seems to be a thing at every concert. Maybe Gary should teach them how to meditate.

In 1977 he opened a concert at the Performing Arts Center in Milwaukee by chastising the sound man. He had Jan Garbarek, Palle Danielsson and Jon Christensen with him.