Thread: Opinions on a piano I'm thinking of buying

Opinions on a piano I'm thinking of buying

I just made a $100 refundable deposit on a 48" Maeari piano, ebony finish, slightly used and very clean. The dealer is a friend of mine. I played it, sort of, and it seems alright to me, sounded just fine I thought. A club in Atlanta has turned their Wednesday night slot over to me to put in jazz bands and I need to have a piano on stage. The piano will only for use by the Atlanta Bebop Society so there won't be any rock bands banging on it.
    The total price is $1,282.93 and that includes the bench, delivery to the club and two tunings.
    Is it a good deal? Is a Maeari a decent piano? I still have some time to decide, so I thought I'd ask the piano players here.
    Jay

Jay,
    I'm not a piano player but a piano tech.

The good news is, 48" is a good size for a vertical ("studio" size...don't get nuthin' smaller) and 1300 is a GREAT price(!) for a studio, espcially with delivery and two tunings included.

The bad news is, i think it was made by Samick and that ain't great, especially a few years ago. You might ask your piano player friends how they feel about Samick uprights or, better yet, get one of them to go play it.
    Normally it's a good idea to get a tech to check it out but i assume if the dealer is a friend, you don't need to worry about anything structural being wrong with it (?)

By comparison, you gotta figure something like a used Yamaha in that size would be at least 3 grand, up (and up a lot, i should add).

You might expect to hear piano players bitch about it but i'm always amazed at how good a good piano player can make a crappy piano sound.

Good luck.

Ive never played that model before but my advice would be to have a piano player play it and tell you how it feels, how it sounds, how the pedals work, etc...and a piano tech checking it out might be a good idea too.

Someone might tell you a Steinway is great and a Maeari is crap but in the end you have to play it and see for yourself. Ive played Steinways that play like crap and other terrible, out of tune, wacky, and unheard of pianos that just feel great under your fingers.

Other than that 1.3k for a studio upright is a nice price with that sweet bundle (delivery and tuning).

P.S: Ive seen jazz musicians bang harder on a piano than rockers

Bassist and raconteur
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam24 View Post
    P.S: Ive seen jazz musicians bang harder on a piano than rockers
    Absolutely. Some jazz pianists are simply brutal (I know of a piano in Nashville that has had strings and hammers broken by pianists, and it's in a jazz only room). The biggest single thing, in my experience, is finding the right tech to keep the piano at its best - not only tuning, but regulation and general upkeep.
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN
    www.javajivestudio.com

Well I've decided to go ahead and buy the damn thing. You guys have been a great help. Thanks to all.
    Jay