Page 79 of 112 FirstFirst ... 296566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1678

Thread: A Few Pictures I Took Today

Street action about NYC. From last Fall's shoot.

Papi dancing

Yellow cabs. Hard Rock Cafe behind.

The Marriott near Times Square

You're only granted one set of gonads during this lifetime. Make sure you use it wisely.

From South Africa

Back from two weeks in South Africa which included covering Cape Town Jazz Fest. Article to come, but a few tastes of the country for y'all, ranging from Johannesburg to Kruger National Park:

Walking into the Apartheid Museum in Johannesberg:

A lovely little girl I met in Alexandra:

Solitary confinement cell for Robert Sobukwe, "instigator" of the Sharpeville Massacre in 1960, on Robben Island (where Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years):

View of Cape Town from Robben Island - Freedom was so close, yet so very, very far:

Aerial view of Cape Peninsula (we were taken up by helicopter):

View from Table Mountain:

South Africa's "Paradoxical Penguins" of Boulders Beach:

Bo'Kaap Area of Cape Town:

Now, from the Cape Town Jazz Fest:

Adam Glasser:

Ron Carter at Press Conference:

Allen Stone:

Hugh Masekela:

Now for some images from our last 2 1/2 days, spent at Lukimbi Lodge in Kruger National Park:

Two Kudus, duking it out on the road:

View near sunset:

Impalas:

Elephant, with trunk in a position that supposedly means good luck:

Leopard:

Golden Orb Spider:

Lions:

Hippos (no, it's not a yawn, it's a warning):

Zebra:

White Rhinoceros:

Note: Hippos were shot from a bank on the river during a daytime walking safari; all other animals shot from an open jeep during one of four game drives.

What an experience....had to sift through 1700 shots. Ultimately created a personal album of about 300 photos, and have loaded about 80 at the AAJ Photo Gallery. You can also see more at my Facebook album (some cross-over, some differences though).

Overall, pretty happy....though I would have been happier had my new camera arrived (going full-frame with the new Nikon D800, but won't have it until May)...
    Enjoy!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ianant View Post

Yellow cabs. Hard Rock Cafe behind.

Real colourful pics Ian. These I like best. New York looks so crowded. I think I could never get really used to that. Feel like a country girl watching them.

John, stunning! My favourites are the sunset, the ones of Hugh Masekela and the little girl. I can't get into your facebook page, but maybe it's because I don't have facebook myself. Btw did you ever hear about Ingrid Jonker? She was a poet from South Africa I'm very impressed with. I can recommend the movie about her life called 'Black Butterflies'.

Quote Originally Posted by page View Post
    John, stunning! My favourites are the sunset, the ones of Hugh Masekela and the little girl. I can't get into your facebook page, but maybe it's because I don't have facebook myself. Btw did you ever hear about Ingrid Jonker? She was a poet from South Africa I'm very impressed with. I can recommend the movie about her life called 'Black Butterflies'.
    Thanks, Page. Yes, I've only shared these with friends, but I've just opened it up. Have a look-see at your convenience,. there's plenty more.

Not familiar with Jonker, but am on a spending spree trying to rectify my painfully minimal knowledge of all things ZA...

That little girl was a sweetheart. I don't have kids, but...

Seeing Hugh was amazing. A powerful guy, oozing charisma, whether in a press conference or on the stage.

Best!
    John

Player to be named later duaneiac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

Seeing Hugh was amazing. A powerful guy, oozing charisma, whether in a press conference or on the stage.
    Nice photos, John. I hate to travel, but I like to see what other parts of the world are like.

I would agree that Hugh Masekela is an amazing guy. I've had the opportunity to see him perform on 4 different occasions is 4 different settings and he always puts on a terrific show.

After a free performance at Stern Grove in SF a few years ago, they announced he would be available for autographs. I got in line with maybe 40 or so people ahead of me. After a while it seemed like it was taking an unusually long time for the line to move. When I got up to the front of the line I discovered why. Every single person he greeted with a hug, signed whatever that person had brought (even though they had announced that he would only sign CDs), chatted with the person for a bit and then said farewell with another hug. I appreciate the CDs he signed for me, but I treasure those hugs even more.

When you consider all he's been though in his life (and his autobiography is highly recommended reading), if any one has the right to be bitter, it's Hugh Masekela. The fact that he is not and that he still has warmth and compassion for complete strangers should be a lesson to us all.
    Well my friends are gone and my hair is grey
    I ache in the places where I used to play
    And I'm crazy for love, but I'm not coming on
    I'm just paying my rent every day
    In the Tower of Song -- Leonard Cohen

Wonderful pics Ian and John!

Best!
    John
    Oh man! you couldve asked him to play "So You Want To Be a Rock n Roll Star"

Quote Originally Posted by NewJazz4Mike View Post
    Oh man! you could've asked him to play "So You Want To Be a Rock n Roll Star"

Didn't need to ask. He was a rock and roll star - the show was incredible (only saw about 20 mins), the guy just oozes charisma.

Ian, I like the candid “Papi Dancing.” Nice shot, I’d be tempted to crop it, and change it to monochrome.
    John, what a selection! A lovely child candid, scenics, natural history, aerial photography and superb shots from the Cape Town Jazz Fest. The second Hugh Masekela shot I really like.
    Incidentally, an old acquaintance of mine, who has bred Maine Coon cats since 1984 in Cape Town. Vikki Spacey of “Wrevenik” Fame. Had I known you were going I might have suggested you give her my regards. I did some feline photography in the UK for her, before she moved out. However, I don’t think my nom de plume, Pope Pertwee would ring many bells. A nice lady, I think she would remember when we worked for the same company in the UK.
    I am always of the opinion with the learned, if they speak first. - William Congreve.

Thanks for sharing those posts, John. They are much appreciated. Thanks for the comment Pope. BTW, Pope: I stared working on the website. Offline, that is. It's about time I put together something which gives the appearance of I actually know how to use a camera. Lol. The finished product is a long ways off.
    You're only granted one set of gonads during this lifetime. Make sure you use it wisely.

Thanks for sharing those posts, John. They are much appreciated. Thanks for the comment Pope. BTW, Pope: I stared working on the website. Offline, that is. It's about time I put together something which gives the appearance of I actually know how to use a camera. Lol. The finished product is a long ways off.
    Thanks, man; your pix are great - what are you using? I've a D800 on order....eagerly awaiting, as the sensor on my D70S is going (pix aren't quite as crisp as they should be)....
    Cheers!
    John

Thanks, man; your pix are great - what are you using? I've a D800 on order....eagerly awaiting, as the sensor on my D70S is going (pix aren't quite as crisp as they should be)....
    Cheers!
    John
    I use a D90. That said, "relatively speaking" these days the digital camera one uses doesn't really matter that much though, John. I mean yes, ones cam has to be “reasonably good,” there are many of them right under the prosumer range made by several manufacturers which fit that bill, but what is paramount is the user is knowledgeable about photography in addition to the technology. Yes, I know it's been said a million times, but it's true, and I mean there are so many variables, like lenses, processing software, etc.

You can take amazing shots with those mid ranged cams if you have all the fundamentals down, that is to say understand any and everything related to what your gear in hand is capable of, in addition to framing and composing the shot nicely and doing whatever it takes to get proper exposure.

Price or whether to go for something more expensive really ought to be a matter related to function or need. For example, I’m cool with the lower end D90 but if I could have what I really want and could afford, I would get a D700 even though it’s older. That is because it has an FX or full frame sensor. This would help me greatly when shooting in situations where I don’t have good light. Actually, I’d still want or keep a cam with a DX sensor because they do have some considerable advantages over the FX or full frame sensor.

You’re getting a hot cam in that D800. Hot in many ways but I’m sure you’ve probably already read up on the specs.

My ideal cam would be the ridiculously expensive D3S, because not only does it have a full frame sensor, but also Nikon’s tilt and shift lenses (a must for your fight against factors like lens distortion) work optimally on that cam just like it did on their past and present top top models like the D1x.

To be able to work with those lenses are the only things which really burn my eyes about Nikon’s top of the line toys. Aside from the over $5,000 price tag for a D3S body, those lenses will relieve you of a cool additional $2,000 grand. No problem.

Slowshoes and Page, thanks for the comments. NYC is, relatively speaking, crowded, Page. I guess. I remember an Indian friend of mine telling me once "you know, everything is relative, compared to Bombay . . ." :-)

Tree at Gulf Beach

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    I use a D90. That said, "relatively speaking" these days the digital camera one uses doesn't really matter that much though, John. I mean yes, ones cam has to be ďreasonably good,Ē there are many of them right under the prosumer range made by several manufacturers which fit that bill, but what is paramount is the user is knowledgeable about photography in addition to the technology. Yes, I know it's been said a million times, but it's true, and I mean there are so many variables, like lenses, processing software, etc.

You can take amazing shots with those mid ranged cams if you have all the fundamentals down, that is to say understand any and everything related to what your gear in hand is capable of, in addition to framing and composing the shot nicely and doing whatever it takes to get proper exposure.

Price or whether to go for something more expensive really ought to be a matter related to function or need. For example, Iím cool with the lower end D90 but if I could have what I really want and could afford, I would get a D700 even though itís older. That is because it has an FX or full frame sensor. This would help me greatly when shooting in situations where I donít have good light. Actually, Iíd still want or keep a cam with a DX sensor because they do have some considerable advantages over the FX or full frame sensor.

Youíre getting a hot cam in that D800. Hot in many ways but Iím sure youíve probably already read up on the specs.

My ideal cam would be the ridiculously expensive D3S, because not only does it have a full frame sensor, but also Nikonís tilt and shift lenses (a must for your fight against factors like lens distortion) work optimally on that cam just like it did on their past and present top top models like the D1x.

To be able to work with those lenses are the only things which really burn my eyes about Nikonís top of the line toys. Aside from the over $5,000 price tag for a D3S body, those lenses will relieve you of a cool additional $2,000 grand. No problem.

Slowshoes and Page, thanks for the comments. NYC is, relatively speaking, crowded, Page. I guess. I remember an Indian friend of mine telling me once "you know, everything is relative, compared to Bombay . . ." :-)
    I have been recommending Fuji superzooms to a number of people. I've seen some of the results, and unless you want to blow them up to 3 feet by 4 feet, there is not a lot to choose between the Fuji shooting RAW and the full frame Canon 5dii shooting RAW. OK the Canon still has it, but we are comparing a £500 compact with £3500 worth of camera and lenses if we match up the focal lengths. Where the DSLRs do come into their own is in difficult light conditions and their ability to resolve a greater dynamic range. For most people a superzoom will cover everything they ever need to do- and won't give them neck strain

Nikon have now got in on the act with a Superzoom that goes up to 1000mm.

Careful though: don't be seduced by by big figures.

I have a 100-400 zoom and a 2x converter. These are the least used lenses in my kit bag -- only used for nature shots

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpt1 View Post
    Nice: There is a tree that I shoot every time I go up home to the West of Scotland, come rain, hail or shine. It's a gnarled old soandso of a tree, but I still don't feel I have "caught" it yet. There is a character in there that I haven't brought out. Perhaps I'm not meant to, but I'll keep trying

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)