Page 86 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3672737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1664

Thread: A Few Pictures I Took Today

Dressing Like a Fan Since 1997 1/2 Baked, Not Fried's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my question. I appreciate all the feedback. Much to learn, but some very good thoughts and things to consider. Best,
    I think there are only three things America will be known for 2,000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. Gerald Early 1952Ė, American Author

A few photos from my time at the Trondheim Jazz Festival, taken with my new Nikon D800. Truth be told, am still getting used to it (great camera, but more to deal with than my D70s, so expect things to improve over time), along with Photoshop CS6 and, for the first time, Lightroom. So these are not as good as they are gonna get, but not bad for a start (got the camera just a week ahead of the trip)..ok, excuses over!

Scenes from Trondheim

Stacey Kent

Pelbo

Allan Holdsworth/Jimmy Haslip/Virgil Donati

Food, with guests Prakash and Petter VŚgan

Bugge Wesseltoft, Solo

Ambrose Akinmusire

Kim Myhr, performing with The New Songs

And, for a little levity, Django Bates, speaking at The Jazz Summit:

Full set of photos here.

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    I don't know John, but these look good to me.

Really Northern latitudes, there is a different light. London to Glasgow there is a definite change. From Glasgow to Isle of Lewis the change is subtle, but there all the same.

Polarisers and Graduated ND filters are the order of the day, to bring out the spectacular clear air (we're talking outdoors here, of course)

The "different" light is quite obvious in that view along the street - it is almost 3 dimensional

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

John, nice to know you are pleased with your new Nikon D800. Great camera it may be, but for me your eye is always of the greatest importance. I really like your Jazz shots; - I think I would like them even more, if they were in monochrome. I guess time was of the essence, and the skill necessary to produce the B&W effect as one would like, doesnít come overnight. That is certainly the case where I am concerned.
    Look forward to more, some hopefully in B&W.
    I am always of the opinion with the learned, if they speak first. - William Congreve.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Pertwee IX View Post
    John, nice to know you are pleased with your new Nikon D800. Great camera it may be, but for me your eye is always of the greatest importance. I really like your Jazz shots; - I think I would like them even more, if they were in monochrome. I guess time was of the essence, and the skill necessary to produce the B&W effect as one would like, doesnít come overnight. That is certainly the case where I am concerned.
    Look forward to more, some hopefully in B&W.
    I want to work more in B&W, but time is definitely an issue...and with the new camera, and dealing with 80Mb RAW files is slowing me down...and one of my first priorities for photos is for use in my articles, where color tends to be the order of the day.

I'm planning to start taking a couple hours a week to start focusing more on working in B&W, so hopefully you'll start to see some results.

For me, obviously the eyes are most important, too, and I appreciate your kind words....but having the proper gear to allow your eye the freedom to do what it wants is also important, and I'm very, very happy i made the leap to the d800.

Here is a link to the late Doctor Eddy Sethna, a person I met early on in my voyage into photography. Eddy was a really nice bloke, intelligent, and knew a thing or two about photography. The two articles on this link make interesting reading. (An Analysis of Judging & Creativity in the Digital Age).

Here are one or two extracts:
    (From Creativity in the Digital Age).

We are now in a position to describe creativity. It is the act of altering an image as seen to make it aesthetically appealing or artistic. Creativity is expressed at several stages in the production of an image and starts at the taking stage by :

a) the choice of subject matter; a whole article could be written on this topic, but by way of example the image in Figure 1 was taken by my friend Hugh Milsom MFIAP in the early 80�s and has been highly successful in Exhibitions and Salons. But who would have thought of making an exhibition image of a rotting post? A straight print from the negative is also shown and illustrates the degree of creativity in the final image.

b) the selection of the camera settings (aperture, shutter speed, focal length, etc.).

c) the selection of view point.

d) the exploitation of perspective (the relative positioning of camera and subject matter).

e) framing (what is included or not included in the image).

f) the choice of medium - colour or black and white.

Further on.......

Quite often images which most people would accept as �straight� are anything but straight. Examples of such images are shown in the work of Hugh Milsom in Fig 2, of Peter Clark in Figs 3 & 4 and my own image in Fig 5. In the image �Road to the Cuillins� by Hugh Milsom shown in Fig 3 the patch of light on the road never existed and was created in the darkroom along with the dramatic sky. This was done in the early 80�s; if done now digitally many would say it was cheating.

http://www.monolandscapes.talktalk.n...igital_age.htm

Hope this is useful.
    I am always of the opinion with the learned, if they speak first. - William Congreve.

From last night's show with local bassist John Geggie, drummer Jim Doxas, guitarist Lorne Lofsky and trumpeter Joe Sullivan:

John Geggie:

Joe Sullivan:

Lorne Lofsky:

Jim Doxas

Lorne, John and Jim:

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    I do hope that if the bassist ever goes to play in Scotland, someone warns him that his surname means something in West Coast Scottish dialect

http://www.stooryduster.co.uk/Pages01/geggie.htm

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

Digital black and white just isn't the same as film black and white. It seems flatter to me.
    "Funny...when you talk to Jay on the phone, he actually seems quite normal and not insane at all." Phil Kelly

John, it’s nice to see the monochrome shots. It’s also interesting to compare the B&W shots of the drummer’s shirts (all 3), and how they affect the shots. This is where B&W comes into it’s own. The B&W; colour comparison as well.
    I like what you have done. Keep doing the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Norem View Post
    Digital black and white just isn't the same as film black and white. It seems flatter to me.
    Not really true, Jay, it's just that my photoshopping skills at converting color to B&W are not up to snuff. I'm just starting to experiment with it all, and so any deficiencies can be blamed smackly on me, not the medium.

To be honest, I'm a little over my head at the moment: new camera, trying to learn more about using photoshop and lightroom.....and nowhere near enough time!!

But I'm tryin', man, I'm tryin'! Hopefully future pix will show improvement....

Quote Originally Posted by Pope Pertwee IX View Post
    John, itís nice to see the monochrome shots. Itís also interesting to compare the B&W shots of the drummerís shirts (all 3), and how they affect the shots. This is where B&W comes into itís own. The B&W; colour comparison as well.
    I like what you have done. Keep doing the business.
    Thanks, man. As per last post, well, I'm feeling pretty over my head at the moment. For th e B&W I was playing with a variety of filters, and chose the ones that I seemed to like best...but it's still a learning process.

I figured I'd show color and B&W for comparison...this whole thing is, to be honest, a real revelation. The new gear is definitely allowing me to do things I couldn't do with my last body, but man, do I feel like I've such a long way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Not really true, Jay, it's just that my photoshopping skills at converting color to B&W are not up to snuff. I'm just starting to experiment with it all, and so any deficiencies can be blamed smackly on me, not the medium.

To be honest, I'm a little over my head at the moment: new camera, trying to learn more about using photoshop and lightroom.....and nowhere near enough time!!

But I'm tryin', man, I'm tryin'! Hopefully future pix will show improvement....
    I think you're doing extremely well.
    "Funny...when you talk to Jay on the phone, he actually seems quite normal and not insane at all." Phil Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Thanks, man. As per last post, well, I'm feeling pretty over my head at the moment. For th e B&W I was playing with a variety of filters, and chose the ones that I seemed to like best...but it's still a learning process.

I figured I'd show color and B&W for comparison...this whole thing is, to be honest, a real revelation. The new gear is definitely allowing me to do things I couldn't do with my last body, but man, do I feel like I've such a long way to go!
    This is where we evolve as photographers, we should never stop learning. Always trying to improve, and in due course, if you put the effort in, you shall reap the rewards. In all areas, your style, the image quality and your eye.

Registered User pontif on a unicycle's Avatar

B&W in Photoshop

I noticed the discusion on converting to monochrome in photoshop. Something I've talked about with pope on several occasions.
    The 2 methods I've found work best are:-

1. Convert to lab colour. go to channels. Unselect the a and b channels (leaving the lightness channel, the image should now be black and white). Convert to greyscale. You can now manipulate to image. I find this method seems to keep the fullest rage of tones.

2. Using the Channel Mixer. Open the channel mixer. tick the monochrome box. This method seperates the tones out effecively especialy in the shadows. It's a matter of trial and error with the sliders to get the best image, but by selecting individual colour channels you can burn and doge different tones.

Hope this is of help.