Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What cities in the world have the best jazz scene?

What cities in the world have the best jazz scene?

I'm from australia, where there is only a very small scene for jazz....just not enough of an audience for it to be played often.

Where have you been, where there is a lot of jazz being played.....or any other music for that matter

Thanks!

Ps: Sorry if this has been covered before.....feel free to link the relevant threads

Quote Originally Posted by larry_emder View Post
    I'm from australia, where there is only a very small scene for jazz....just not enough of an audience for it to be played often.
    I take it you don't live in Melbourne then. Live jazz is pretty thick on the ground, both in quantity and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny weir View Post
    I take it you don't live in Melbourne then. Live jazz is pretty thick on the ground, both in quantity and quality.
    Nah, i'm in newcastle.

I definitely plan to live in melbourne for a while though

New York city is one of the most exciting cities in the world in Jazz therms, you can find in almost any corner a truly Jazz scene.

I've had heard about Tokyo as one of the most Jazz cities in the world,.
    I have no all the music, just the best!

New York, hands down.

Nothing beats the Apple. I was lucky enough to have had spent most of my life there. I really miss it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by larry_emder View Post

Where have you been, where there is a lot of jazz being played.....or any other music for that matter

Thanks!

Ps: Sorry if this has been covered before.....feel free to link the relevant threads
    That's not the impression conveyed by groups like Perth Jazz Society and Westren Australia Jazz - I get thier newsletters by emial and the scene looks pretty lively
    The soul is dyed the colours of its thoughts
    -Marcus Aurelius

Registered User ZackAlbettaKCDrummer's Avatar
    Kansas City is definitely not in a league with NYC but there is a vibrant jazz scene here. It's got all the history behind it, of course (Bird, Basie, McShann, etc.), but there are multiple generations of jazz musicians and enthusiasts still keeping up the tradition.

A lot of the jazz is pretty straight ahead and inside the box (KC is currently in the midst of a heavy singer trend), but there are some cats here and there, mostly my generation, who are doing some really fresh original stuff. I love seeing, hearing and playing the newer sort of stuff, but KC has also given me an appreciation for how much fun the more straight-ahead stuff can be--sometimes there's nothin' like some hard swing.
    Zack Albetta--Bosphorus Artist

visit my myspace

Registered User electricsilence's Avatar
    I'd say New York in North America, Paris in Europe and Buenos Aires in South America.

Anyone know what it's like in Adelaide (Thinking about moving there), I know they have some very prestigious conservatories.

The Adelaide scene isnt all that vibrant, there a some awsome musicians around partially due to the conservatorium which is excellent but sadly thereisnt much of an audience for it here. There are two main clubs, both run by the same owner which is pretty much strictly dixie land. Though there is usually a few things running weekly at various places, still like i said though not much of an audience for it from what i've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by ZackAlbettaKCDrummer View Post
    Kansas City is definitely not in a league with NYC but there is a vibrant jazz scene here. It's got all the history behind it, of course (Bird, Basie, McShann, etc.), but there are multiple generations of jazz musicians and enthusiasts still keeping up the tradition.

A lot of the jazz is pretty straight ahead and inside the box (KC is currently in the midst of a heavy singer trend), but there are some cats here and there, mostly my generation, who are doing some really fresh original stuff. I love seeing, hearing and playing the newer sort of stuff, but KC has also given me an appreciation for how much fun the more straight-ahead stuff can be--sometimes there's nothin' like some hard swing.
    We also get some pretty big names every once in a while... I'm looking forward to the Joshua Redman Trio here later this month.
    Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.
    ~ Thelonious Monk

New York may have all the big name acts who come there after they make it big, but Chicago has a hell of a lot of great unknown jazz players, many who could go toe to toe with the top names out there, only they aren't well known.

I've been to New York and quite a few other cities, and New York definitely has the most clubs to catch big name acts. But as far as home-grown talent in a local jazz scene, I haven't seen anywhere in the U.S. that competes with Chicago.

New York. There isn't even a close second place

Quote Originally Posted by orroonie View Post
    Nothing beats the Apple. I was lucky enough to have had spent most of my life there. I really miss it.
    Yeah the big Apple is amazing, in this and in other great topics.

Other great city came to my mind: New Orleans.
    I have no all the music, just the best!