Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Australian Jazz Korner

Quote Originally Posted by kenny weir
    Louis - let me get back to you in a few days.
    Thanks! I'll be a waitin'.

L.

Louis Schwartz

Australian jazz

Well reading all these interesting threads I was quite exited when I discovered
    that Australian jazz will be featured tonight in Cape Town.
    So I bought my ticket, completely unaware what I was going to listen to.
    First on the stage was a trio led by Gerard Masters on piano, Jasper Leak on bass and Nicolas Mc Bride on drums.
    They played a kind of a "new-world" or should I say "new age" jazz.
    Definetely no jazz feel, and the original played was weak, the drummer had more of a rock feel than jazz, then came a "jazz singer" named Justine Bradley, what can I say, nice voice, but again no jazz feel of any kind.
    Then a young quite good guitar player joined the trio, his name, James Muller,
    well thing did pick up, he is a good musician, more bluesy tha jazzy but as some talent. The evening went on with different musicians combinations
    but at the end of the day it was a very "forgetable" evening.
    The only Australian jazz musician that I know I do enjoy is Bernie McGann.
    But then again I do not know many.
    I would not buy any music of the musicians I 've seen and hear tonight.
    They called themselves "Mosaic"
    I am sure that they do not represent the real quality of Australian jazz.
    Sorry if I've been a little harsh, but it is MY honest opinion.

Don't you just think that sometimes musicians are just trying to hard? Like there are only so many ways an instrument can be played, so if they have been influenced by Charlie Parker, they are accused of playing like him, well of course after hearing men of his talent, their way of playing is bound to be there in someway, or that's often the case.

It's like classical, how many ways is there to play Chopin? There are variations, and it has been done over and over.

I just think that there needs to be new compositions, new tunes, new ways of putting a group together, or variations in that, is what I mean to say, but that there is the old and tried, true way of playing. How can someone be totally innovative, when so much has already been done?

Somewhere there is another musicial genius out there than will probably prove me wrong, but lets not blame someone for playing like those that we've been hearing for years, maybe that's a good thing.

Maybe what we need is innovation in creating new songs, bringing in sounds like Clave has been talking about, this is all new to a lot of us, that may be the way to go for a lot of these people who love music, and would like to leave their mark. I would think that there would be a lot of different influences in Australia that would be new to our ears, a new sound, even the use of intruments that are indigenous. That has always happened in music, the adoption of instruments that are part of other peoples history and culture. I remember the jawbone of an ass being played at the Lighthouse.

Just rambling about with my thoughts here. but this is how it all seems to me. Not being a musician, I have a different perspective than a lot of you do. Just thoughts.
    Sandi from Hermosa Beach

Hello hello hello and hello from Australia, where jazz things keep ticking along ...

Next Tuesday or shortly thereafter I will be able to post the short lists (3) for the Bell Awards, the new - this is their second year - gongs to celebrate Australian jazz. The awards, an initiative of the Melbourne International jazz Festival, are as follows ...

•The Bell Award for Best Australian Jazz Vocal Album
    • The Bell Award for Best Australian Contemporary Jazz Album
    • The Bell Award for Best Australian Classic Jazz Album
    • The Bell Award for International Jazz Album Of The Year
    • The Bell Award for Australian Jazz Venue of the Year
    • The Bell Award for Young Australian Jazz Artist Of The Year
    • The Bell Award for Australian Jazz Artist Of The Year
    • The Bell Award for Australian Jazz Ensemble Of The Year
    • The Graeme Bell Career Achievement Award

Voting in all categories is open to the public, with the popular public choice carrying the same weight as one of the judges. I will post details next week. There are a number of albums and artists with which many of you are familiar so I hope you'll participate. As they say in Louisiana: Vote early, vote often. (Actually, I'm not sure you can do that but it's a cool line anway ...)

The winners will be chosen from the short-listed nominees August 24 by the judges - outgoing MIJF artistic director Adrian Jackson, incoming MIJF artistic director Carlo Pangotti, Kevin Jones (The Australian), John Shand (Sydney Morning Herald), Jessica Nicholas (The Age, RRR), Kenny Weir (Sunday Herald Sun, PBS) - and announced at a swish party on August 25.

Adrian Jackson has stepped aside as AD of the MIJF to concentrate on duties as AD of the Wangaratte festival.

The MIJF hopes the appointment of Umbria festival head honcho Carlo Pangotti will launch the festival into the big time, although the newspaper stories so far have not shed much light on how the festival will be affected - you can read them here - http://www.mijf.org/.

High hopes of us getting the likes of Rollins, Jarrett and so on will be weighed up by many with the ramifications for local content and homegrown musicians.

It seems the festival will now operate under a sort of "Umbria in Melbourne" banner.

From the new releases that have come my way, a real highlight is the debut album by Melbourne outfit Murphy's Law - Telling Tales (Newmarket).

Led by bassist Tamara Murphy, it features some monster guitar by Nashua Chen Lee and brilliant blowing by tenor saxophonist Julien Wilson, who is rapidly becoming a star. He plays in a lot of different formats and configurations, but always with an edgy fire.

Telling Tales is full of swirling and throbbing music. Hard to describe. Not really post-bop - really it's just fine contemporary Australian improvised music.

The final short-lists for the Bell Awards are as follows:

• The SAAB Australian Jazz Artist of the Year
    Paul Grabowsky
    Jamie Oehlers
    Phil Slater

• The Singapore Airlines Best International Album of the Year
    Keith Jarret -Up For It- (ECM)
    Joe Lovano -I'm All For You- (Blue Note)
    Tomasz Stanko -Suspended Night- (ECM)

• The Grand Hyatt Young Australian Jazz Artist of the Year
    Felix Bloxsom
    Aaron Choulai
    Matthew Joddrell

• The Yamaha Best Australian Contemporary Jazz Album
    Paul Graabowsky -Tales Of Time And Space- (Warner Music)
    Mike Nock -Big Small Band Live- (ABC Jazz)
    Phil Slater -Strobe Coma Virgo- (Newmarket)

• The AICE Best Australian Jazz Vocal Album
    Vince Jones -Gold- (Universal)
    Michelle Nicolle -The Crying Game- (ABC Jazz)
    Alison Wedding -The Secret- (ABC Jazz)

• The B&B Design Australia Best Australian Classic Jazz Album
    Bob Barnard -Bob Barnard's Jazz Party- (Nif Nuf)
    Movin & Groovin Orchestra -Catfish Row Orchestra- (Newmarket)
    The Society Syncopators -Now You Are Talking My Language- (Newmarket)

• The APRA Best Australian Jazz Ensemble of the Year
    The Necks
    Alister Spence Trio
    Julien Wilson Trio

• The TarraWarra Best Australian Jazz Venue of the Year
    Bennetts Lane
    Hyde Park Hotel (Perth Jazz Society)
    Side-On Cafe

• The Graeme Bell Lifetime Achievement Award sponsored by the City of Stonnington
    Allan Browne
    Don Burrows
    John Pochee

You can vote here: http://www.mijf.org/

HUBBA HUBBA - Wangaratta program unveiled!!!!

The program for the 15th TAC Wangaratta Festival of Jazz was launched this morning at Dizzy’s in Melbourne, with various dignitaries, media types, musos and hangers-on in attendance.

Cameo musical interludes were provided by altoist Tim Wilson with Ben Robertson (bass) and Dave Beck (drums), and the same rhythm team with pianist Tim Stevens – good stuff, too, if necessarily abbreviated.

Unusually for these kind of functions, not only were there the usual array of cheese‘n’crackers’n’wine but – magnificent – real espresso coffee was offered to invitees!

This year’s festival will be held as usual on Melbourne Cup weekend, October 29-November 1.

Let me reiterate: I love my hometown festival a lot, but when it comes to gorging on ridiculous amounts of music in a very short timespane, Wangaratta can’t be beat.

SPECIAL OFFER TO AAJERS: I hereby offer floor space in my motel room to any northern hemisphere AAJers who are tempted to make the trip. (Accommodation is usually fully booked out for miles around.)

INTERNATIONALS:
    *Dave Liebman, who will perform two concerts - one with the Irish outfit Guilfoyle/Nielsen Trio, with whom Liebman has, I believe, a long-standing relationship; and a duo concert with another old pal, pianist Mike Nock.
    *Tord Gustavsen Trio

LOCALS: Too numerous to mention in depth, but as always this is where the heart and soul of the festival will lie for me …

*Adam Simmons Toy Band.
    *Alister Spence Trio.
    *Bob Sedergreen.
    *Brett Hirst.
    *Dan Barnett Quintet.
    *Theak-tet.
    *En Rusk.
    *Erik Griswold.
    *Guy Strazzullo.
    *Gypsy Swing.
    *James Morrison.
    *Jamie Oehlers.
    *Katie Noonan.
    *Kris Wanders. (Former hotshot of the Dutch/Euro free scene, long an Australian citizen.)
    *Kristen Cornwell.
    *Louisiana Shakers.
    *Michael McQuaid.
    *Mike Nock.
    *Paul Grabowsky.
    *Phil Slater.
    *PRRIM.
    *Ren Walters Group.
    *Rob Burke.
    *Sam Keevers.
    *Sandy Evans.
    *Stephen Magnusson.
    *The Electricians.
    *Tim Stevens Trio.
    *Tim Wilson.
    *Tony Gould.
    *Triosk.
    *Wanderlust.

BLUES/R&B:
    *Backsliders.
    *Collard Greens and Gravy.
    *Fiona Boyes.
    *Mia Dyson.
    *Tam White (Scotland) with pianist Brian Kellock.

The program has yet to be posted on the website, but it and everything else your probably need to know about the festival will be there: www.wangaratta-jazz.org.au

SEE YOU THERE WITH BELLS ON!

Allan Browne - new CD and giveaway for AAJers!

Allan Browne Quintet - Cyclosporin (Jazzhead)

Geoff Hughes (guitar)
    David Rex (alto)
    Allan Browne (drums)
    Nick Haywood (bazz)
    Eugene Ball (trumpet)

"This record was made possible by an anonymous organ donor and the wonderful transplant team at the Alfred Hospital." - Among the insert notes for Cyclosporin.

Thus does drummer Allan Browne say thanks, on his new album, to those behind his life-giving lung transplant.

Happily for us all, the transplant not only provided a new life for Browne, but also - on the evidence of Cyclosporin - a new lease of musical life as well, his drumming being all over the album and just one of its many highlights.

Hughes riffs along nicely a la Wes in place, but is mostly to be found inhabiting much more snaky and biting territory.

Rex brings his hardbopisms to the table; it's a pleasure to hear him in such an adventurous setting.

Haywood and Ball, like everyone here old sparring partners of Browne, are just as on as the others.

The material ranges around - a little bit of Ornette here, some out-and-out bop there, some dreamy atmospherics, but mostly the sort of smart, swinging Australian contemporary post-bop jazz that is all its own thing yet so hard to describe.

Thanks to Michelle at Jazzhead, I have three copies of Cyclosporin to give away to AAJers. Simply send me a PM, and if you're among the first three to reply, I'll get back to you seeking address details.

As it's been a while since the last Australian Jazz Korner giveaway, this one's open to all comers except Australians.

Still two to go!

Come on - somone must be wanting take the two remaining copies of the new Allan Browne album of my hands! See above post.

All the Browne freebies have gone!

Wanted - Jerry Bergonzie cd

Hi there fellow Australians,

I am looking for a copy of a Jerry Bergonzie CD called 'Standard Gonz'. I wonder if anyone has some tips on how I might go about tracking this very elusive cd down?

Thanks,
    Millster
    (Melbourne, Australia)

I live in Canberra, Australia...the capital!

Smile

I think Ill cry if I cant go to the Wangaratta Jazz Festival, Katie Noonan, Paul Grabowsky, Kristen Cornwell... the list goes on!

Im a fellow Aussie living in Canberra.......anyway just thought Id introduces myself as Maddie and am happy to see so many other Jazz musicians visiting this website and being Australian....

Oh well have a lovely day, hope you enjoyed my random reply

More Oz Jazz

Hi to all
    My name is David Innocente and I am from Adelaide in Australia.I have a Cd out at tha moment called"one thing led to another" by my band DIRT. It is more in the funk, fusion area but we do some standard material.The lineup is guitar,bass,drums and sax.It can be heard at CDbaby .I am also part of a Hammond Trio called Hammond Eggs which has a CD out as well and can be heard at our website. www.users.bigpond.com . Get any further info by answering this thread.

Thanks

I live in Canberra, Australia...the capital!

Thumbs up Hooray

Hooray for Felix Bloxsom and his win of the 'young artist of the year' award.

Congrats to all the winners and keep up the awesome playing

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    Kenny,

Tam White, I am not that keen on, but that is a personal preference, rather than any criticism, but Brian Kellock is out of this world. I hope he gets a chance to let loose. He is one of Scotland's (unfortunately) best kept secrets

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

Courtesy of our man in Melbourne some fine Oz Cds came my way

*Keith Hounslow/Tony Gold double CD, this a fine melancholic chamber jazz of the highest order, beguiling in its apparent simplicity. Best pipe organ stuff since ......Fats Waller....???

*Strobe Coma Virgo and the Band Of Five Names' Severance. both featuring Sydney trumpeter Phil Slater and both on Newmarket. Hmm... I really wanted to like this stuff but it just doesn't get airbourne often enough. It is slow mood music , rhythmically repetitive with washes of electrified trumpet playing simple note combinations. If know Cuong Vu material on Knitting Factory you're pretty close but this has none of the aggressive intensity that Vu has. This has all the hallmarks of background music, I am not sure what the listener is meant to engage with or whether you a just meant to let it wash over you trance like state.

The best moments are pretty good with Coma Virgo the stronger of the two releases. Traces of Miles' Sketches of Spain mixed in with darker material that wouldn't have been out of place on Pangea etc. I'll need to listen closely to check I not missing out on something !!!
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Tenorman
    Kenny,

but Brian Kellock is out of this world. I hope he gets a chance to let loose. He is one of Scotland's (unfortunately) best kept secrets

couldn't agree more, plenty of cutting loose on his "Live at Henrys" CD Kellock
    Adrian

Thumbs up

"Live at Henry's" won best album at BBC jazz awards a few years ago. Brian also won Best Musician of the year at last years awards. I know it's not all about awards in this game, but he's one of the guys who trully deserves world recogonition IMO> He's one of the most exciting musicians I've had the pleasure of listening too. He's been in Oz before playing with James Morrison I believe. Tam White is fantastic live. Go check out this gig you lucky people!

I just posted the August-September installment of Miriam Zolin's Notes From Downunder.

Index...

* John Pochee, Ten Part Invention at the Chicago Jazz Festival
    * Freedman Fellowship
    * Wangaratta Festival of Jazz
    * Umbria Jazz in Melbourne
    * CD Reviews by Adrian Jackson

Hi Kenny
    I posted this announcment about our CD release not long ago and was
    wondering if I could send you a copy for review .Any other recommendations
    about reviews, perhaps Adrian Jackson in Miriams column etc ,would
    be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    David Innocente

(My name is David Innocente and I am from Adelaide in Australia.I have a Cd out at tha moment called"one thing led to another" by my band DIRT)

Quote Originally Posted by ozjazz
    Hi Kenny
    I posted this announcment about our CD release not long ago and was
    wondering if I could send you a copy for review .Any other recommendations
    about reviews, perhaps Adrian Jackson in Miriams column etc ,would
    be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    David Innocente

(My name is David Innocente and I am from Adelaide in Australia.I have a Cd out at tha moment called"one thing led to another" by my band DIRT)
    Hi Ojjazz - will send you a private message once I get back to work on Friday.