Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Pelt

Meet Trumpeter Jeremy Pelt

Jeremy Pelt was born in California on November 4,1976. While in elementary school, he started playing the trumpet. His primary interest was strictly classical music until he started high school when he began playing in the Jazz band. Upon completion of high scool, he headed back east to Berklee College of Music. While at Berklee, Jeremy worked diligently on Film Scoring during the day and cut his teeth playing at night.

After graduating from Berklee in 1998 with a B.A. in Professional Music, he moved to New York. Since his arrival, Jeremy has played with many distinguished artists such as Jimmy Heath, Ravi Coltrane, Roy Hargrove Big Band, Bobby " Blue" Bland, Bobby Short, Keter Betts, Vincent Herring, The Skatalites, The Village Vanguard Orchestra, David O'Rourke, Benny Russell/Jorge Sylvester Next Legacy Orchestra, Cliff Barbaro, Winard Harper, Duke Ellington Big Band, Dion Parson, Ron Blake, Charli Persip, Mickey Roker, Cassandra Wilson, Gary Bartz, Harold Ousley, Greg Osby, Frank Lacy, and many more.

Jeremy is currently a featured performer in the Mingus Big Band, Ralph Peterson Quintet, Lewis Nash Ensemble, Cannonball Adderley Legacy Quintet featuring Louis Hayes, Vincent Herring, and the Frank Foster Loud Minority Big Band. Jeremy has toured the U.S., France, Spain, Amsterdam, Switzerland, Japan, Virgin Islands, Brazil, and Great Britain.

Latest CD

Close to My Heart
    MaxJazz

Have a question for Jeremy or a comment about his music? Please post it here.

How has Jeremy come to know the people he has recorded with on his own records?
    www.russellmoon.com

Thumbs up

Just wanted Jeremy to know that I enjoyed him immensely when I saw him with the Mingus Big Band in Boston earlier this year. Also have enjoyed some of his original compositions.

If they decide to film Satchmo's life, Jeremy should definitely have the starring role!

I look forward to hearing more from this very talented young man!

P.S. He's got a great smile too!

Valerie

Jeremy, hey there. What is your favorite venue to play in and why?
    Support improvised music in the state of confusion. www.iceboxshows.com

Hey wassup ?

Hi Everyone... Thanks for visiting my forum !! I'll try to answer all questions in a quick manner.

1st round of questions

The great thing about everybody that I've recorded with on my CD's is that, I've played with all of them before. Mainly, in their bands (ie, Lewis Nash and Ralph Peterson) so the vibe is already there. Some artists opt to go for cats that they haven't played with just so they can sell the records, but with me I can honestly say that I know all of them so there isn't an air of mystery. Thanks to Valerie for her comment. FYI: when I was probably about 10 or 11, I tried out for a part as young Louis Armstrong in a play in California ! how fortuitous. My favorite venue to play in is easily the Village Vanguard because of it's immense history... I also love Ronnie Scotts in London for the atmosphere.

Close To My Heart is superb, Jeremy!

Thanks

Thanks. I'm glad you dug it !!

Film Scoring

Jeremy, do still have a desire to do film scoring and any thoughts about this aspect of the biz. Who are your favorite film composers, past or present?

Film Scoring

I have a strong desire to do Film Scoring, but it's matched (and probably surpassed) by my ambition to really make it as a performer, which is why I haven't put all my energy in pursuing Film Scoring... but one day. For now, I like Elmer Bernstein, Cliff Eidelman, Wojieck Kilar, Jerry Goldsmith, Howard Shore, aand Danny Elfman.

Jeremy,

What are some of your all-time favorite films and which recent films would you have been interested in scoring?

Smile Greetings Jeremy, from Kansas City,

In addition to your own releases as leader, and those with Ralph Peterson, I’ve been really enjoying the live material you've provided for downloading from your website. This raises an obvious question (which I suspect you get asked all the time)...

What are your plans to record and commercially release material reflective of your more ‘progressive’ side?? (And by the way, I totally respect you're wanting to let that music ‘gel’ and develop sufficiently, before going public with it – at least in terms of commercial releases. But I also really appreciate you giving us a peak into the future, by sharing all those MP3’s!!) And a related question/topic, that's perhaps a bit of a curveball...

Would you consider recording on a date lead by Andrew Hill, or perhaps Jason Moran???

Your playing, Jeremy, (in all your various contexts) often reminds me of several of the best “progressive hard-bop” trumpeters of the last 35 or 40 years -- guys who could wear both hats incredibly well, playing both ‘inside’ as well as ‘outside’. Of course I'm thinking of Woody Shaw(!!), Charles Tolliver, and late-60's Lee Morgan (particularly on Lee's more ‘progressive’ dates, more often as a sideman (like on Larry Young's “Mother Ship”) – or his very last studio album, and the live “Lighthouse” recordings in 1970). I think you (Jeremy) have a ‘fire’ in your tone that often reminds me of these three greats in particular.

For me, I find that some of those three trumpeter's most interesting material was recorded on albums lead by the great Andrew Hill (all three recorded with Hill on multiple occasions). I think Hill provided a unique context for them to play in – which was neither entirely 'outside', nor entirely 'inside' either. (I also mention Hill, because by some measures, today he's still at the very top of his game. And I mention Moran (being a student of Hill's), because he is developing music that has a similar flavor, with concepts similar to Hill.)

Or maybe a better, more open-ended question would be for me to simply ask what ‘progressive’ musicians would you like to worth with at some point in the future?? (Greg Osby, perhaps??)

Thanks!!! -- Rooster T.

PS: If possible, please bring one of your groups to Kansas City sometime. (I've been buggin’ a couple local club-owners about trying to get you in town, so I might as well work both sides of the same coin!! )

Hey Jeremy!

First off, I love your music and think that you are one of the most talented horn players I've heard in a while. I am greatly looking forward to seeing what the future holds for you.

My question is this....with your solo career taking off and your move to the MaxJazz label, are you still planning on being a part of Ralph Petersen Jr.'s group into the forseeable future? The reason I ask is because that group is one of my favorites in jazz today. I think that you guys are really onto something great, but I know in jazz those things can't last forever. Its just that I see something special in the quintet that was/is present in some of the great combos thoughout jazz history, and I'm hoping that we can expect to hear much more in the future.

Thank you for sharing your time with us!