Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Still buying CDs? Size of Collection?

@

at a rough guess I would have around 500 CD'S

THEY are mainly packed in double jewel cases with notes

some are in those plastic sleeve things inside the notes in a bound folder I purchased that way I can actually easily find it

things are roughly organised by artist but sometimes it takes a bit of an effort to find something exactly

I NEED TO WRITE UP SOME SORT OF CD LIBRARY LIST

I don't have any downloads, heard a downloaded oscar peterson it sounded very shallow when compared with the cD

Jazz Illustrator edwardcheverton's Avatar
    77 currently. But i'm only 16. I'm aiming for 1000 at least in my lifetime. I don't download digitally, but I store my collection digitally.
    R.I.P Freddie Hubbard, 7 April 1938 – 29 December 2008

I have about 8,800 albums, approx 7,000 CDs and the rest LPs. Also a small number of downloads on iTunes, mainly pop stuff.
    I maintain a simple Excel list of my collection but I'm in the process of putting my collection on a great piece of software called CATraxx. The main reason is that although the Excel list is fine I can't find individual tracks and other information when I need it. The only problem is that CATraxx is PC only and everything else I do and have is Mac. Putting this stuff on CATraxx is cool and easy to use but is a lifetime's work.
    Has anyone using CATraxx managed to export the data in a form that can be used easily, eg on a Mac?
    Jazzjet

Quote Originally Posted by TedCheverton View Post
    77 currently. But i'm only 16. I'm aiming for 1000 at least in my lifetime. I don't download digitally, but I store my collection digitally.
    1000 is definitely achievable. You'll probably get there sooner than you think!

I have been collecting music for about 35 years. I have about 10,000 CDs and 40 feet of shelf space of vinyl records. I don't know how many vinyl albums that is. I know about the 40 feet because we had to measure for cabinets for our new house.

I still buy CDs and LPs, mostly used.

I have not downloaded, but probably will. I have nothing against it. My daughter downloads all of her music. I just haven't gotten around to doing any downloading yet.

I have no catalogue at all of my music. I do not listen to huge parts of the collection for long periods of time. I play what I feel like each day. I don't worry about it. It's all for fun.

I've got something like 500 cds, but few of them are jazz albums actually because I have been really in love with this music only for 4 months now. I keep buying cds even if I use to download some music, there's some sort of ritual while you unpack your latest cd, put it on, and listen to it for the first time that I could never miss.
    I use an Excel file to keep track of my collection, but haven't updated it for a while. Time to fix it.
    The eye hears what ears miss.

Smile

1) I only buy CDs

2) I have a bout 1000 CDs, 250 GO of music at pc(coming from the extraction of my CDs or CDs i borrow) but no LPs.

3) I didn't catalog my collection.

Now living in Portland, western Victoria, Australia
    I have well over 3000 CDs and 2000 LPs still, since a lot has never come out on CD. They feed two weekly radio shows.

Muso friends now and then send me mp3 (I guess) files via e-mail. I want to be able to convert those to CD form and play them on my radio show (we cannot play mp3 on air yet).

Could some nice person tell me in VERY VERY VERY simple language how to get these files off the e-mail, and onto a CD (I have a burner)

Do I have to go thru I tunes (I am a 'member') ???

Pls don't advise ' ask a kid" . I ain't got one nor know any...\

Quote Originally Posted by robbo View Post
    I have well over 3000 CDs and 2000 LPs still, since a lot has never come out on CD. They feed two weekly radio shows.

Muso friends now and then send me mp3 (I guess) files via e-mail. I want to be able to convert those to CD form and play them on my radio show (we cannot play mp3 on air yet).

Could some nice person tell me in VERY VERY VERY simple language how to get these files off the e-mail, and onto a CD (I have a burner)

Do I have to go thru I tunes (I am a 'member') ???

Pls don't advise ' ask a kid" . I ain't got one nor know any...\
    Hi Rob,

it is not really complicated; after the download of the files (I don't think it's a difficult thing to do... ), try to arrange them in a suitable way (e.g. in a folder), just to easily find them.

Assumed you have a standard software like "Nero B.R.", and your files are mp3s, choose the option "Create an Audio CD" (or "File-New-Audio CD" thru the Menu bar)

- simply drag and drop your files to the main blank space of the dialog box (or "Edit-Add files" thru the Menu). The compilation will be called "Audio1" by default.
    - you can check the duration of the compilation (and therefore the space left on the CD) through the meter at the bottom of the window. There must be a red line on the 80 minutes mark. Obviously, don't go beyond it...
    - start the burning session by clicking the icon showing a "burning match" (or "Recorder-Burn compilation" thru the Menu), and follow the instructions in the next windows (for the first time, don't choose any option, and simply click "burn").
    - wait for the end of the burning session, and follow the simple instructions (you could also save your compilation data, e.g. to burn it again in the future)

(don't forget to put a recordable CD in the burner... )

The software will automatically convert your files into a CD format, and you will be able to play the compilation on a normal CD player.

Hope my English is clear, and let us know the results...
    Favourite musicians (recent listenings):
    Lorenzovic's Profile Page

i have circa 1000 Cds, mostly metal.

Registered User jazz,from,a,rat's Avatar
    Yes, when I can afford to. 100+ Jazz CDs and hundreds of other music styles as well. I've never bought an MP3 nor would I ever consider it. Not paying for 1/2 the sound.
    Making music with hair from a horse's ass.

Now living in Portland, western Victoria, Australia
    Thanks forthe instructions, Stanko.... I will give it a go this weekend but I don't think I have Nero anymore (more likely another burning program).

I enjoy your namesake's music - I heard him in concert in Melbourne in '05 and was very impressed.

CD all the way

I used to have 1000's of LP's but I had to move around a lot and it wasn't feasible to keep them.

2000+ CD's

500 legal downloads from Emusic with 100 or so each from Itunes and Amazon

I buy only CD's now because they are almost the same price, I like the cover art artist info inside and I can rip them at any bitrate (lossless) I want. Downloads are 256 (and less especially at Emusic). There are higher bitrates available but at much higher prices. I haven't gotten into the HD Flac or SACD's yet. Downloads are good if the CD is not available Yellow Rolls Royce (Riz Ortolani) or they are OOP and crazily priced.

I continue to buy cds and still have most of my lps from my youth. I will continue to buy until they close the market down on me. Currently I would guess I have over 3,000 cds, with more than half of them being jazz. I still lament the loss of the corner cd store, now having to confine my in person purchases to trips to the west coast (Amoeba in Hollywood, Berkeley, and San Francisco) and NYC (just discovered J&R this year down near the Trade Center site). Loved the picture posted by Philou! My music collection is part of the decor in my upstairs bonus room just as the plethora of books in every room in the house are. I love being surrounded by books and music and the knick knacks that fill the rare empty spaces on the shelves.
    "Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

Thank you Jav , I am happy that you like my picture