Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jazz Bassists

Jazz Bassists

I really like Jazz bass and although I only know a few Jazz bassists I still listen to Jazz radio stations and I would to know who you're favorite Jazz bassists are because I play bass and I would like to start playing Jazz. I like Victor Wooten a lot and Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius. I dont want to know just about the virtuosos I also wanna know about regular good Jazz bassists too, Thanks in advance.

You'll definitely want to listen to Ray Brown and Paul Chambers. (Although I can't stand Chambers' arco/bowed solos, he's a great bassist.)

Cool thanks I'll be sure to check them out, I also really love the funky Jazz bassists like Marcus Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetJeff View Post
    I really like Jazz bass and although I only know a few Jazz bassists I still listen to Jazz radio stations and I would to know who you're favorite Jazz bassists are because I play bass and I would like to start playing Jazz. I like Victor Wooten a lot and Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius. I dont want to know just about the virtuosos I also wanna know about regular good Jazz bassists too, Thanks in advance.
    Looks like you really like jazz electric bass! Mikelz (who looks remarkably like Art Pepper!) gave you some great leads, but also check out the following living bassists: Buster Williams, John Patitucci, Christian McBride, Gary Peacock, Steve Swallow, and Dave Holland.
    Last edited by rw@southfloridajazz.; December 2nd, 2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: User name is wrong. That is my email address showing

Quote Originally Posted by rw@southfloridajazz. View Post
    Looks like you really like jazz electric bass! Mikelz (who looks remarkably like Art Pepper!) gave you some great leads, but also check out the following living bassists: Buster Williams, John Patitucci, Christian McBride, Gary Peacock, Steve Swallow, and Dave Holland.
    Actually, I'm not as good looking as Art Pepper was in his prime. I'm not sure if you were just kidding around or not but my avatar picture is Art Pepper. He's one of my all-time favorites.

I'd throw Scott LaFaro's name into the mix in the more or less straight-ahead jazz category. Amazing player. Check out the Bill Evans "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" and "Waltz for Debbie" discs. For more forward-looking, (sort of) funk-ish electric bass (5 string) check out Stomu Takeishi, especially his stuff with Topaz.

Cheers, Paps
    "There comes a time in all of our lives where silence is a betrayal." -- The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Of course I love Paul Chambers (but I just can´t understand how somebody doesn´t like his arco-solos since he´s sheer perfection, nerver heard better arco than Paul Chambers), and Oscar Pettiford, and and and....
    But my all time favourite is Charles Mingus: Listen, Mingus was so much more than a bass player, he was one of the greatest composers that ever lived, but he had it all together. So, his bass work belongs to the most exiting things that I ever had the privilege to hear, especially during one of his most creative years /(1964), where he did exiting soloes on all the tunes he played on tour.

@

niels henning orsted pedersen and ray brown are the best

Matt Lorentzen
    Might I add a modern dude who can get funky, but also swings his arse off.
    Christian McBride

Closest thing to Paul Chambers we have nowadays. Pure tone!

Cool

A living bassist that should not be left out : Richard Davis (and he does pretty good with a bow too)
    The soul is dyed the colours of its thoughts
    -Marcus Aurelius

Drums, newbie guitar, voice dyrupita's Avatar
    Dave Holland and Ron Carter

Here's some names I haven't seen yet, that deserve to be mentioned:

1. William Parker

2. Mark Dresser

3. Eberhard Weber

4. Miroslav Vitous

5. Sam Jones

6. Jimmy Blanton

7. Gary Peacock

8. Henry Grimes

9. Milt Hinton

10. Keter Betts

11. Percy Heath

12. Charlie Haden

13. Pierre Michelot

14. Rufus Reid

15. Eddie Gomez

16. Bob Cranshaw

17. Charnett Moffett

18. George Mraz

19. Red Mitchell

20. Wilbur Ware

21. Oscar Pettiford

22. Ben Allison

23. Arlid Andersen

24. Marc Johnson

25. Larry Grenadier

---that should get ya started, and I hope it helps...these are some of my favs.

***ndhjazz

pno, mrmba, stlpan, perc. philoxenos's Avatar

Johnny Dyani

1. Johnny Dyani

2. Johnny Dyani

3. Johnny Dyani

4. Johnny Dyani

5. Johnny Dyani

Ok I'll stop. I recommend Johnny Dyani. His solo on Abdullah Ibrahim's 1977 album The Journey (Chiaroscuro) is just monstrous. And his own album Afrika (Steeplechase) is a must have.
    "And always, there is the need to keep purifying these feelings and sounds so that we can really see what we've discovered in its pure state. So that we can see more and more clearly what we are. In that way, we can give to those who listen the essence, the best of what we are. But to do that at each stage, we have to keep on cleaning the mirror...."
    - John Coltrane

I have to totally concur. Johnny Dyani is amazing! I especially love his "Song For Biko" with Don Cherry! Good stuff!

---ndhjazz

Scott Colley is the new Dave Holland, although you might want to warn Mrs Colley and Mrs Holland so they dont get too much of a fright when they roll over in the morning...