Thread: Charles Mingus: Tonight At Noon

Charles Mingus: Tonight At Noon

I just posted Marc Meyers' opinion piece on Charles Mingus.

Please click the link below then post any comments about the article or Mingus here...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=979

I’ve been preoccupied with the thought of Mingus instructing his sidemen by ear instead of using written notation. Seems to me the goal was similar in some ways to Ornette’s ideas, even predating them. Could Pithecanthropus (released two clean years before Something Else) have influenced Ornette?

yes, shawn-m! I´d also say, Mingus was ahead of his time. But beeing sideman in his group sure wasn´t an easy thing, he sure was not easy to get along with. As a big Mingus fan, I always regretted the fact, that his last group with Jack Walrath, Ricky Ford and Bob Neloms wasn´t recorded properly. That was a great group, I witnessed a live performance of Cumbia and Jazz Fusion, much more exiting than the recorded version.

Satin, I can’t begin to tell you how envious I am of anybody who’s ever seen Mingus live. Speaking of sideman, I still can’t believe Knepper returned to the Mingus fold after what happened in his case. Damn fine bone player, too. Easily my favorite of the guys to come out of the 50s and 60s. But then, and like so many others, I think Mingus had a way of bringing out the best in just about anybody.

Mingus with Adams, Pullen, Walrath and Richmond was the first jazz concert I ever saw, in the fall of 1974. Mingus Moves was my first Mingus record a few months before. It was such a thrill to wait for each Mingus record to come out--Mingus at Carnegie Hall came next, then the great Changes recordings of the group I had seen. Followed by a long two year or so wait, as I recall, before the disappointing Three or Four Shades of Blues (compared to the predecessors) was released. Finally, after another wait, Cumbia and Jazz Fusion, another fine record, came out, about the time that I learned Mingus was dying. I didn't know I would only have one opportunity to hear Mingus, Adams and Pullen live.

Anyone else hear Sue Mingus on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz a week or two ago? Marian asked her about "Tonight at Noon" and Sue replied that it referred to Mingus and other jazz musicians staying up all night and going to bed at noon.

A few years ago Sue gave a tremendous amount of material to the Library of Congress-- the proper place for the works of a national treasure.

The "Changes" records are among my top 5 jazz recordings of all time. Few musicians were ever so emotionally expressive. Another favorite has always been the live recording at Antibes.

[i]A few years ago Sue gave a tremendous amount of material to the Library of Congress-- the proper place for the works of a national treasure.

[/B]
    This gift appears to have included a number of tapes of unreleased live recordings. There's an index on the LOC website that briefly describes the holdings in the Mingus collection.

I must be one lucky dude, in that I saw quite a few live Mingus performances. One of the best was the Mingus group with Adams, Pullen, Richmond, and Hammiett Bluett, an explosive band that went unrecorded, although there are tapes out there somewhere. Regarding Mingus and Ornette, I'm not sure Mingus directly influenced Ornette, although there are some commonalities, including highly vocalized saxophones, references to mariachi music, and of course, the blues. Mingus made much greater use of pedal points and vamps than Ornette did, however.

The Adams, Pullen, Bluiett edition of the Jazz Workshop played the first set at Carnegie Hall in 1974 before the jam session released as Mingus at Carnegie Hall. Altantic recorded it, supposedly, as it shows up in discographies, but has inexplicably never released it.

I KNOW that I'm very blessed to have heard Mingus live too many times to count during the '60s in NYC. And, icing on the cake, got to hang out with him quite a bit, including some 4AM breakfasts in Chinatown! Must add that he was always a gentleman with me although I certainly was witness to lots of his eccentricities! I still get to reminisce on occasion with some of the few surviving members of his band during that time, like Charles McPherson and Toshiko. I also hold near and dear the times Sue Mingus and I get to share special memories.

I hear a lot of Mingus in William Parker, in Parker's huge sound and thumping beat, in a willingness to experiment, and in the ability to shape a performance through the sheer power of his bass lines.

i just posted this interview by paul olson...

Sue Mingus: "First and Foremost a Composer"
    Discover Jazz Near You! | Visit All About Jazz.

Thumbs up

Thank you so much, AAJ and Paul Olson, for an absolutely incredible interview!! And, of course, to Sue Mingus, as well!

Everyone should get "We Are Three"! It's amazing, to say the least.

Thanks for such kind words...you made my day!

--Paul O.

Cool

Let me add my own congrats, Paul. Excellent piece. Interesting comments from Sue about Mingus at home vs. Mingus with band members or record company
    The soul is dyed the colours of its thoughts
    -Marcus Aurelius