Thread: "Winter Wonderland" - help, please

"Winter Wonderland" - help, please

I am having difficulty finding a certain version of "Winter Wonderland" anywhere, and hope that someone out in the forums can help me.

The info I know is sketchy, since the only time I hear it is when it's played on Osco's in-store music. I do know that this version is an instrumental, and sounds like it's being performed by a trio. The piano work is most definitely the lead instrument, though drums also are brought to the front with a few flourishes. This seems to be in the be-bop style, and has an overall sound like something which was recorded in the '50s or '60s. If it helps, portions of the piano work sounds like it's being played like a music box.

I know this isn't a whole lot to go on, but this really is a killer version of "Winter Wonderland," and I'd love to get my hands on a copy of it. I'd greatly appreciate any assistance you all can provide to help me find it.

Stand-Up Philosopher
    I don't know which one that might be, but I can suggest going to www.allmusic.com, clicking the song button under the search field at the top, and entering "Winter Wonderland." It returns 922 indexed recordings of it, so you'll have to search for the relevant jazz one.

Incidentally, there's a nice solo jazz piano version of it on Dave Brubeck's A Dave Brubeck Christmas (Telarc).

Good luck, and happy holidays!

Thanks for the suggestion... I did try that, and spent the better part of two days between them and Tower Records's Web site listening to samples in hopes of finding it. No such luck yet.

CT

Stand-Up Philosopher
    I scanned the listings quickly. Here's one possibility: Red Garland --All Kinds of Weather (1958). I haven't heard that album, but considering the players and time period, it might be a match. Probably a good album, either way!

Stand-Up Philosopher
    Another possibility: Bobby Timmons--Holiday Soul (1964) (Also on the Prestige Christmas Collection)

I did indeed try both of these when I did my initial search... thanks anyway, but neither is the one. If it helps, this version seems like it was three minutes or less in length.

I do appreciate the help, though.

I'm not sure but I believe Oscar Peterson made a fairly recent version of that song.

Might be Ramsey Lewis. Early sixties and under three minutes.

BTW, Ramsey's album is called "Sound of Christmas." I like it.

Yeah Ramsey made two good christmas LP's in the 60's

Found!!!

I mentioned this in another post, but thought I'd tie this discussion up. The version turned out to be performed by the Ronnie Kole Trio, and is found on the "Merry Christmas, Baby" disc on Jewel / Paula Records.

Thanks to everyone for their help.