Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Allman Brothers Band: Then & Now

The Allman Brothers Band: Then & Now

I posted a profile of the Allman Brothers Band by Doug Collette (on Feb 17).

The ABB & AAJ home page is here...
    http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=1184

Feel free to post anything related to the band and its members in this thread.

Unhappy

Up to 'Brothers and Sisters' I was a big, but for me they lost it over the next few albums and I never got back into them. How could they be the Allman Brothers without Duane duh? Might've been better to have changed their name. Some of the retrospective releases have been top notch like 1996's 'Fillmore East' live. Mind you 'Seven turns ' is pretty good but I have nt heard 'Hittin the note'. Maybe I should take my blinkers off, but it's one thing to lose Duane, but with Dickey Betts also out of the band, I'm a little prejudiced.

Guitarist and keyboard player lone_wolf's Avatar
    The Allman Brothers did have some jazz element in their music, if only in Dickey Betts' instrumental compositions like "Les Brers in A Minor" on "Eat A Peach". Warren Haynes has been a strong contributor to the current incarnation's viability. Though it's mostly hard-rock, Warren's work with Gov't Mule is even more jazz-influenced, evidenced by compositions like "Sco-Mule" and the Mule's version of "Afro-Blue".

"new" ABB

You gotta hear the new band to believe them...Warren Haynes is almost twice the guitar player when he's alongside Derek, who by Butch Trucks' own admission is already technically superior to Duane...and the intensity and imagination this young guitarist has gained in his playing in the last year alone is breathtaking...the whole band seems to have taken inspiration from their past in the last couple years and I wouldn't have believed they are as good as they are if I hadn't seen them do it before my own eyes four times in the past two years...and I've seen the original lineup, the Chuck Leavell-era (good and bad) as well as the Haynes/Woody lineup twice...don't let the past get in the way: Duane smiles down on this ABB.

First time I heard the Allman Brothers was probably in 1969 opening for the Grateful Dead at the Fillmore East. I saw them a couple of times after Duane and Berry died and they were good but a very different experience. I saw them years later with Warren and Woody and they were really good, back to the original sound. I lost interest until I read the reviews on this site. I got Hitting the Note which I really like and was totally blown away by One Way Out. I am really happy for the band that after all these years they have really raised the level of their intensity.
    I have been listening to some of their older live albums with Duane and Berry. Duane of course was unbelievable and Berry was flat out great with them.
    When I get a chance I am going to Blockbuster to see if they have the DVD of the Beacon show.
    BobG

by all means grab the DVD but be prepared because it is so good it will drive you to feel like you need to see the band at the Beacon...I have found the shows and setlists they present in that theatre quite different than the summer concerts and it has more than a little to do with the intimacy of the theatre...still if you have learned to love The Brothers again, it won't matter where you see them---you will be flat out astounded at more than one point in the set you hear, wherever you hear it.

Chronic Jazzaholic

Thumbs up Duane and Davis

Duane is said to have been a big "Kind of Blue" fan. Can you imagine an extended Allman-style jam with Miles?
    "Jazz is freedom. You think about that." --- Thelonious Monk

Quote Originally Posted by tkeables
    Duane is said to have been a big "Kind of Blue" fan. Can you imagine an extended Allman-style jam with Miles?

Not only Miles but Coltrane and especially Charlie Parker.

Conversely, Parker was said to have been a fan of country and western. I could see how he could appreciate Madame Patsy, who phrased quite nicely she did.

Too bad the kids of today don't have bands like the Allmans, jazzier Santana, jazzier Doors, old YES and ELP, to help them get interested in jazz. When I was a kid, Santana remade AC Jobim's "Stoneflower" and Miles' "In a Silent Way". Brian Auger's Oblivion Express was playing Wes' "Bumpin' on Sunset" and Les McCann's "Real Compared to What".

Nope, 23 years of M(egaDeath)TV killed off any intelligence rock might have had.

Love the Allmans! Check out the jazzy influences on "Hot'lanta" and "In memory of Elizabeth Reed".

i went to see a high school music recital last year. one of the groups was a classical guitar ensemble. one of the pieces they played was "all blues", by miles davis. i swear those guitars made it sound just like an allman brothers song. amazing.

Trumpetus Badassicus Bag's Groove's Avatar
    Around the time of my junior year in high school I pretty much listened to the same three records every day for I'd say about an 8 month period:

Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix
    Couldn't Stand The Weather - Stevie Ray Vaughan
    LIVE AT THE FILLMORE EAST -THE ALLMAN BROTHERS

LIVE AT THE FILLMORE still blows me away. There is something to be said for 15-20 minute songs that can hold your attention for their entire length.
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back. It really held the room together."
    -Jeff Lebowski

Quote Originally Posted by tkeables
    Supposedly there exists a studio jam of the ABB (with Duane, from 1970 or 71) doing My Favorite Things. Duane said he loved the way Coltrane soloed on Ole Coltrane especially

Quote Originally Posted by gregk
    Supposedly there exists a studio jam of the ABB (with Duane, from 1970 or 71) doing My Favorite Things.

Quote Originally Posted by gregk
    Supposedly there exists a studio jam of the ABB (with Duane, from 1970 or 71) doing My Favorite Things. Duane said he loved the way Coltrane soloed on Ole Coltrane especially
    Don't overlook the Dickey Betts contributions as well. Again, the same jazz heros, including Parker and blues great T-Bone Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by 3pointdeli
    i went to see a high school music recital last year. one of the groups was a classical guitar ensemble. one of the pieces they played was "all blues", by miles davis. i swear those guitars made it sound just like an allman brothers song. amazing.

The Allman Brothers Band song ''Dreams" is heavily influenced by "All Blues". Listen to Duane's slide solo and tell me it's not Coltrane-like phrasing.