Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Keyboard Players: Check In

AAJ's Monster Under The Bed!!! tweebinmusic's Avatar
    we still win on a key to string ratio
    Eat a Live Toad in the morning, nothing worse will happen all day!

Piano/Compose/Arrange engelbach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tweebinmusic View Post
    we still win on a key to string ratio
    A fresh perspective that has me feeling good again! Thanks, Josh.
    Jerry Engelbach, piano/arrange/compose
    Engelbach Music
    Weaver of Dreams
    Artwork

Piano
    Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    ...The purpose of this thread is to ... find all the keyboard players, in hope of having more keyboard-related discussions about pedagogy, voicings, comping and soloing styles, etc. ...
    Very interested in that.

I'm not a musician, but I play piano. I studied classical piano as a kid, then just played popular sheet music for 25 years. Then, the kids all went away to college, and a year and a half ago I started studying jazz. I've got a teacher and play in a quartet with like minded amateurs. After trying to learn how to play this stuff, I respect you pros more than ever!

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    That's okay, Borys. From the above post I now know for certain that you are actually George Orwell.

Cheers,
    John oops Jerry
    Oh god, they found out!

Good that my time machine is still in the ruins of my old house...

jjo: high 5 man, high 5.

keyboardist
    Hi,
    I would say I am a passionate amator Jazz panist/keyboardist who would have loved to live from Jazz.
    I played classical piano for 10 years when I was a kid and then got into jazz at 17 years old but unfortunatly I discovered way too late how harmony was so important and that piano jazz was such a passion for me..
    Boys are not matures early enough unfortunately...
    But now it is always a pleasure to sit in front of my Nord Stage and pratice with the hope to get better and better..
    Marc

Amateur piano player
    Another piano (and occasionally organ) player here, although spending more time lurking on this forum than actually writing on it.

I am by no means a professional, and I am happy about my day job.
    Nevertheless, I am still doing my best to improve (I sit in from time to time with friends' gigs though).

I am also considering looking for a keyboard teacher or mentor to see on a 1-2 months basis here in New York City, just to get some coaching and advice in how to get the most out of my limited practice time.

Piano was my first instrument, started lessons when I was 8 (that was 40 years ago), I picked up guitar when I went in the Navy because the most portable keyboard available at the time was a Fender Rhodes. Piano and trombone are the only instruments I've actually played much Jazz on. Took jazz piano lessons for a while in H.S. from Margarette Sperazza (sp?) (trumpeter Sal Sperazza's Wife, both popular Rochester NY area Jazz musicians). On guitar I play mostly folk/folkrock, as well as worship and praise music for church.
    Multi-instrumentalist: Keyboard, Guitar, Drums, Trombone, Bass

bassist/jazz studies major
    Bowling Green/Celina OH depending on the time
    I hope to one day be proficient enough on piano to jam with myself and others. But I'll stick to bass for my meager living I think.

Jazz Pianist

Jazz Pianist

I have been a working jazz and commercial pianist for many years. I've posted on this forum a few times, particularly when it applied to different ways of playing tunes. Just wanted to be counted in as a full time working player. Later, Ray

Jazz Pianist

to Radar

I knew Sal and his wife down in Naples, Fl, a few years ago. Played a few gigs his group. Sal's a nice player. We also played together in a short-lived 15 piece Salsa band for which I transcribed a bunch of charts for. As far as I know, Sal is still down there. I moved from there about 5 years ago. Later, Ray

Piano

Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz - NPR website

Keyboardists,

Used to be there wasn't much content available online for this NPR show, and the website had a very quirky audio player that rarely seemed to work.

Visited the site today (wanted to hear her show with Taylor Eigsti) and was glad to see lots of the shows now available online full-length, with a perfectly functional audio player.

If anyone's interested ...
    http://www.npr.org/templates/archive...php?thingId=24

Well, I'm a semi-retired pro keyboardist that still plays steady weekend jazz gigs, as well as, recording incidental and program music for television. I saw your thread and figured that I'd let you know that I'm also out there!

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by raymb1 View Post
    I knew Sal and his wife down in Naples, Fl, a few years ago. Played a few gigs his group. Sal's a nice player. We also played together in a short-lived 15 piece Salsa band for which I transcribed a bunch of charts for. As far as I know, Sal is still down there. I moved from there about 5 years ago. Later, Ray
    Well from one Ray to another, thanks for the update on Sal and his wife, I was wondering where they dissapeared too.
    Multi-instrumentalist: Keyboard, Guitar, Drums, Trombone, Bass

Having respectfully given time for keyboard players to weigh in before the guitarists poop all over the thread... <grin>

> Why there are so many of you who play guitar?

Probably because a serviceable guitar goes for $300-$400, these days; and a really good instrument can be had for under $2000. Far-east robot assembly lines seem to be able to spew out consistent respectable instruments for not much more than the cost of the raw materials. That's a very recent phenomenon; it wasn't the case a decade ago.

Compare that to piano: $1,500 for a barely serviceable piano, and $15,000+ for a good one.