Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Keyboard Players: Check In

My good friend has been playing piano essentially his entire life. Classically trained like all youngsters, he got hooked on Jazz about two years ago. He got me hooked soon after. Jazz convinced me to buy a guitar (specifically Joe Pass). I'm still in University, so size, price, and mobilities were large factors. For the past six months I've been rigorously teaching myself the basics in theory, and have shied away at simply learning easy rock songs using tabs. Every single rock song is in E minor (that's a G relative major, right?). Now that I've tried to learn some Jazz guitar, its only made me want to switch to the piano. Whenever I get the chance to play one I have a blast just playing my own groove in C major (all the white keys?). Guitar requires so much technical skill; the piano is a much better instrument to express your musical thoughts. Well, that's just my opinion.

Piano/Compose/Arrange engelbach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edrowland View Post
    Having respectfully given time for keyboard players to weigh in before the guitarists poop all over the thread... <grin>

> Why there are so many of you who play guitar?

Probably because a serviceable guitar goes for $300-$400, these days; and a really good instrument can be had for under $2000. Far-east robot assembly lines seem to be able to spew out consistent respectable instruments for not much more than the cost of the raw materials. That's a very recent phenomenon; it wasn't the case a decade ago.

Compare that to piano: $1,500 for a barely serviceable piano, and $15,000+ for a good one.
    That's a good reason. However, most of us also play digital keyboards — and some of us play them on most of our gigs.
    Jerry Engelbach, piano/arrange/compose
    Engelbach Music
    Weaver of Dreams
    Artwork

Pianist
    I recently watched Note by Note - The Making of the Steinway L1037, and I would much rather pay ten times the amount for a nice piano.

I'm a pianist by the way, I'm a jazz studies major at The University of Southern Mississippi because they have an outstanding piano faculty here (and because they gave me a full ride). I'm planning on hitting one of the big boy jazz schools for grad school, but I think there's only so much you can learn from someone else.

It really is a shame that there isn't anywhere for us jazz pianists to go online, that would be such a valuable community.

Quote Originally Posted by Thespheremon View Post
    I recently watched Note by Note - The Making of the Steinway L1037, and I would much rather pay ten times the amount for a nice piano.
    Ha ha. Who wouldn't? But who has it? I dream about Yamaha baby grands ...

It really is a shame that there isn't anywhere for us jazz pianists to go online, that would be such a valuable community.
    Ain't it the truth.
    Engelbach Music
    Weaver of Dreams
    Artwork

Piano
    Well, first post, though i've been browsing the forum for a few weeks. Good evening everyone.

I'm an aspiring pianist, and i've playing keyboard/piano for 9 years now. I discovered jazz about an year ago and i'm slowly discovering it. I was already used to improvise so it wasn't a completely strange world to me. I'm lovin it and i hope i can learn here.

I also would like to apologize for my english, is a foreign language to me, i hope you can understand me.

About the guitarrist vs keyboard question, i must say guitars can be more atractive when you star playing something, if you're not in a jazz/classical mood. Cheaper, trasportable, smaller and more in mainstream sound (pop, rock). Furthermore, generaly, when one thinks about learning piano, he thinks about learning to play classical music reading a sheet music, wich can be a bit boring; when you think about playing guitar, it's much more common to think about playing songs you like, songs that you can play to/with your friends. It is still a nice instrument, i also play some chords on it.

Quote Originally Posted by slowalker View Post
    Well, first post, though i've been browsing the forum for a few weeks. Good evening everyone.

I'm an aspiring pianist, and i've playing keyboard/piano for 9 years now. I discovered jazz about an year ago and i'm slowly discovering it. I was already used to improvise so it wasn't a completely strange world to me. I'm lovin it and i hope i can learn here.

I also would like to apologize for my english, is a foreign language to me, i hope you can understand me.

About the guitarrist vs keyboard question, i must say guitars can be more atractive when you star playing something, if you're not in a jazz/classical mood. Cheaper, trasportable, smaller and more in mainstream sound (pop, rock). Furthermore, generaly, when one thinks about learning piano, he thinks about learning to play classical music reading a sheet music, wich can be a bit boring; when you think about playing guitar, it's much more common to think about playing songs you like, songs that you can play to/with your friends. It is still a nice instrument, i also play some chords on it.
    welcome to the forum, slowalker, from a guitar player that doesn't quite fit your stereotype.

( pardon me, jer...i'll butt right back out. )

Piano
    Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz View Post
    welcome to the forum, slowalker, from a guitar player that doesn't quite fit your stereotype.

( pardon me, jer...i'll butt right back out. )
    Thankyou. Well, i can smell that from your avatar. I suppose you like tango.

I used to be a composer/keyboard player.

keyboardist

what next..

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    I'm gonna have to start making a list.
    The purpose of this thread is to discover (1) why there are so many guitarists and (2) to find all the keyboard players, in hope of having more keyboard-related discussions about pedagogy, voicings, comping and soloing styles, etc.
    Hi,
    This thread was a good initiative, Jerry !
    Seems they are quite a few keyboard players around here..
    I would love to have a dedicate "section" for discussions dedicated to piano voicings, comping, soloings, pedagogy etc.. because as you said there are no good forum dedicated to it.
    So perhaps having some sub-sections in "Musician 2 musician" for different instruments (guitar, piano, brasses, drum, bass) would be an idea..?
    Marc

Jazz Pianist

Keyboard Section

Great idea to have a dedicated section for keyboardists. I would especially love trading nice sub chords and voicings for tunes. Later, Ray

I think we need to carefully hash over the desirability of a separate subsection for keyboards, as well as for other instruments, before asking the administrator if it's even possible.

Off the top of my head ...

Positives
    1. Discussion of instrumental issues free from interruptions, distractions, and off-topic diversions
    2. Attractive to new members with specific interests
    3. Organizes instrumental data into easily accessible categories

Negatives
    1. Exclusionary, potentially off-putting to different instrumentalists
    2. Confusing about where to put and find posts about more than one instrument
    3. Adds clutter to the forum and fragments the discussions
    Engelbach Music
    Weaver of Dreams
    Artwork

Piano
    Like Ray I really enjoy exchanging subs and voicings. One way or another it would be great to foster that, for those who want to participate ... not exclusively keyboard players, although that's who tend to get involved in those conversations mostly (and, of course, voicings are much more instrument-specific than subs).

Going to Jerry's points ... Something to consider, short of a separate area of the forum, would be to create a thread or two along the lines of the World Famous Five-Star Dogbite's Thread ... i.e., a thread that's really intended more as an ongoing mini-forum, with continuing dialog on ever-evolving topics. What makes Db's thread work, though, and not sink into oblivion, is that it has a fine host. (An alternative strategy would be to serve beer; difficult on the Internet.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    Like Ray I really enjoy exchanging subs and voicings. One way or another it would be great to foster that, for those who want to participate ... not exclusively keyboard players, although that's who tend to get involved in those conversations mostly (and, of course, voicings are much more instrument-specific than subs).

Going to Jerry's points ... Something to consider, short of a separate area of the forum, would be to create a thread or two along the lines of the World Famous Five-Star Dogbite's Thread ... i.e., a thread that's really intended more as an ongoing mini-forum, with continuing dialog on ever-evolving topics. What makes Db's thread work, though, and not sink into oblivion, is that it has a fine host. (An alternative strategy would be to serve beer; difficult on the Internet.)
    Nothing stops one of us from creating such a thread right now. My problem with it is that it will grow to an unwieldy number of pages, with no way to find and separate out specific topics.

I started this thread because it seemed to me that only a limited number of keyboard players were responding to relatively keyboard-specific threads, such as a number of yours, and I wanted to see if there were more of us lurking out there.

So far, there still aren't that many of us.
    Engelbach Music
    Weaver of Dreams
    Artwork

Pianist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    This sort of stuff would really be beneficial to us all. Anyone can talk about melody lines, but when it comes down to it we're the only ones who have to worry about left-hand accompaniment, or piano styles involving both hands simultaneously outside of traditional left-hand chords, right hand solo (i.e. Shearing block chords, Red Garland style chords, and whatever the hell Brad Mehldau does with his hands together :O)

If we had somewhere to put our specific threads dealing with piano-related issues, and someone to keep it all under control then this definitely has my vote.