Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who would you like to spend a relaxing and interesting evening with?

Quote Originally Posted by page View Post
    My friends at AAJ.
    The chance at that is very slim though, as we live so far apart.
    Page, why don't you plan a trip to New York the second week of August? That's when the AAJ Orchestra will be playing there, and you could sit in with the band, sing some songs. You'd get to meet a lot of AAJ members, and I know we'd all love to meet you!
    I can get you a good deal on a hotel, the same one where some of the out-of-town members will be staying, including my wife and I. (She's not a member, but I've always wanted to show her New York.) Our travel agent could probably even get you a good rate on your air-fare. She's Kenny Dorham's daughter.
    Anyway, think about it.

Page!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Norem View Post
    Page, why don't you plan a trip to New York the second week of August? That's when the AAJ Orchestra will be playing there, and you could sit in with the band, sing some songs. You'd get to meet a lot of AAJ members, and I know we'd all love to meet you!
    I can get you a good deal on a hotel, the same one where some of the out-of-town members will be staying, including my wife and I. (She's not a member, but I've always wanted to show her New York.) Our travel agent could probably even get you a good rate on your air-fare. She's Kenny Dorham's daughter.
    Anyway, think about it.

Consider it! You could sing "The Meaning of the Blues," at the after party. That song we both love. I'd love to play behind you. Jerry who knows the tune well can play piano if willing!
    You're only granted one set of gonads during this lifetime. Make sure you use it wisely.

My wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Norem View Post
    You got me speechless here for a moment, Jay. Your post kind of blows me away.
    Of course I haven’t missed out on the fact that the AAJ Orchestra will be playing at that time. I was the one who asked if we would get to see and hear some of your playing in a recording.
    Just to sit with the band and listen to you all and see you play, alone would be great! I would love that, if I was able to do it and no one would object to my presence. (me being the European ‘girl’) To sing with you would be an honour!
    However I don’t know how I would be able to pull it off, there are limitations for me to make such a trip. I'll think about it some more. I so much appreciate you for being so kind in inviting me! I would love to meet you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianant View Post
    Consider it! You could sing "The Meaning of the Blues," at the after party. That song we both love. I'd love to play behind you. Jerry who knows the tune well can play piano if willing!
    Ah thanks Ian, I would love to do that song with you! You already know that the music you do with your combo is my ‘cup of tea’. I would not want you 'behind' me, but 'with' me. I prefer to be able to interact with my co-players on the stage, but I know you meant ‘accompanying’ me.
    With my combo I always wanted to be able to make eye-contact with my guys instead of having to turn around.
    If I’d have a chance to work with you I certainly would. Again I can not promise just yet that I’ll come to New York, even though I would love to come.

Quote Originally Posted by page View Post
    Ah thanks Ian, I would love to do that song with you! You already know that the music you do with your combo is my ‘cup of tea’. I would not want you 'behind' me, but 'with' me. I prefer to be able to interact with my co-players on the stage, but I know you meant ‘accompanying’ me.
    With my combo I always wanted to be able to make eye-contact with my guys instead of having to turn around.
    If I’d have a chance to work with you I certainly would. Again I can not promise just yet that I’ll come to New York, even though I would love to come.
    You're only granted one set of gonads during this lifetime. Make sure you use it wisely.

have mercy!!!!! praise the lord and pass the ammunition.

Groover

Not Groover Washington, Jr. but rather Groover from Sesame Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianant View Post
    Not Groover Washington, Jr. but rather Groover from Sesame Street.
    Ah, yeah then for me, that would be Animal from the Muppets!

john zorn - I just finished his interview in the may issue of jazz times "conversations with the jazz avatar" just an amazing cat.

Robin Williams

Yrdbrd mentioned him doing a song with Bobby McFerrin, so I looked whether I could find it. I must say after listening to this song I find him even more attractive than I already did. There's something about his voice, especially at the beginning of the song. And I know I wouldn't be bored for a minute spending an evening with this man. My favourite movie with him is still 'Dead Poets Society', but I love nearly all his movies. Yeah, I guess I'm a fan.

soprano/alto sax
    Please just let me talk 10 minutes to the UN instead....

Apart from that, just now i can think of:
    Aung San Suu Kyi (if they just grant her a return to freedom that'll also do)!
    Nelson Mandela
    President Obama
    Umberto Eco
    Isabel Allende
    Vint Cerf
    Esther Dyson
    Dr. Billy Taylor
    Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock and Joni Mitchell (we won't talk about music, i promise )
    ??? (have to think )

As a matter of fact anyone who is willing to be honest, discuss, listen and share would be a great person to meet, imho....
    ....but can you sing me a song?.... (Lester Young)

Henry Rollins
    Steven Hawking
    Richard Dawkins
    The Pope
    Dave Chappelle

There's probably way more but those are the main ones.