Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Key is "Summertime" usually played in ?

You did say 'often' indeed. I'm sorry if my post sounded disrespectful to you, that was not my intention. I agree every vocalist should have such a list, I'm working on one my self.

Quote Originally Posted by page View Post
    You did say 'often' indeed. I'm sorry if my post sounded disrespectful to you, that was not my intention. I agree every vocalist should have such a list, I'm working on one my self.
    No disrespect taken. Another way to find out is ask here. There seem to be a lot of gigging pros here who would know. At least we know the key most often called on bandstands. The ones where you don't have to ask, "What key?" Unless it's a vocalist feature.

I can think of several old tunes that are routinely played in other than the original published sheet music keys.
    http://www.alstevens.com

I'll keep that in mind, thank you. However I always like to do a lot of research about a song first without troubling you guys here right away, even when it would get me the answer less quick. That probably sounds weird but it is kind of fun to discover myself. I've been helped by friendly people here a lot and I feel very thankful that I can turn here with my questions indeed.

any idea to what changes coltrane and co. play over in "my funny valentine" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__eY00SYz4)? This is how I normally play it:
    Dmin7---|G7/D---|Dmin7---|--D7(#9)|
    Gmin7---|----|Emin(b5)---|A7(#5)---|
    Dmin---|G7/D---|Dmin-G7-|Gmin7-C7-|
    Fmaj7---|Emin(b5)-A7(#5)-|Dmin-A7#5-|

Piano/Compose/Arrange engelbach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzPianist94 View Post
    any idea to what changes coltrane and co. play over in "my funny valentine" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__eY00SYz4)? This is how I normally play it:
    Dmin7---|G7/D---|Dmin7---|--D7(#9)|
    Gmin7---|----|Emin(b5)---|A7(#5)---|
    Dmin---|G7/D---|Dmin-G7-|Gmin7-C7-|
    Fmaj7---|Emin(b5)-A7(#5)-|Dmin-A7#5-|
    My Funny Valentine? You mean Summertime?

Sounds like Coltrane and McCoy Tyner are playing in D melodic minor. McCoy is playing quartals with triadic extensions.
    Jerry Engelbach, piano/arrange/compose
    Engelbach Music
    Weaver of Dreams
    Artwork

Quote Originally Posted by engelbach View Post
    My Funny Valentine? You mean Summertime?

Sounds like Coltrane and McCoy Tyner are playing in D melodic minor. McCoy is playing quartals with triadic extensions.
    Yeah, I meant "My Favorite Things", the album on which Coltrane plays Summertime. Silly me...

Anyway, thanks for the reply, do you know what changes they play over? It sounds like they modulate after the first 4 bars, but I can't figure it out...

Ever since I heard Coltrane play his version of Summertime in D minor, that's the key I prefer. I just feels so right.

Uneven Temperment

Quote Originally Posted by yZeGuy View Post
    Notwithstanding the premise that one should be able to play any song known to man in all 12 keys, what is the most common key "Summertime" is played in in NON VOCALIST, instrumental situations ?
    Due to uneven temperment, they are not all equal. They sound different.

Makarschuk

Vey Popular

Quote Originally Posted by Ameiner View Post
    Isn't summertime the second most recorded song in history. That would cause there to be lots of variants I'm sure.
    It is a great tune. Gershwin had an ear for melody but not for composing. But, he didn't get weird with this one.

Makarschuk

Quote Originally Posted by makarschuk View Post
    Gershwin had an ear for melody but not for composing.
    Are you serious? Please explain, this should be good.