Thread: Tubby Hayes - 'Alfie' Soundtrack

Tubby Hayes - 'Alfie' Soundtrack

Couple of queries related to the soundtrack of the 1965 film 'Alfie' :
    Firstly, has the soundtrack from the actual movie ( as opposed to the Sonny Rollins Impulse album ) ever been released in any form? There was only about 11 minutes music used in the film, mostly various versions of 'Alfie's Theme', with a band featuring Rollins with a British band including Ronnie Scott, Tubby Hayes, Stan Tracey etc.
    Secondly, can anyone cleared up who played bass on the actual movie soundtrack? The Tubby Hayes discography suggests Johnny Hawksworth while Rick Laird ( in his website ) says that he recorded on the soundtrack with Rollins.
    Jazzjet

Doin' It For Art captain adventure's Avatar
    I have a (tentative) personnel for this as follows:
    Keith Christie (tb); Sonny Rollins, Tubby Hayes, Ronnie Scott (ten); Stan Tracey (p,arr); Dave Goldberg (g); Kenny Napper (b); Phil Seamen (d) recorded at Twickenham Studios, October 18-22/25, 1965.
    No 'official' recording of this soundtrack has ever been issued to my knowledge. Incidentally, the title 'Little Malcolm Loves His Dad' was actually written by Stan Tracey, but always credited to Rollins.
    With regards to Rick Laird, maybe he depped for Napper on one of the above dates?
    Perhaps the indefatigable Mr Spillett can shed further light on this maybe.
    The past, the present and the future are all one. I want to live in harmony with all three. (Hampton Hawes)

Quote Originally Posted by captain adventure View Post
    I have a (tentative) personnel for this as follows:
    Keith Christie (tb); Sonny Rollins, Tubby Hayes, Ronnie Scott (ten); Stan Tracey (p,arr); Dave Goldberg (g); Kenny Napper (b); Phil Seamen (d) recorded at Twickenham Studios, October 18-22/25, 1965.
    No 'official' recording of this soundtrack has ever been issued to my knowledge. Incidentally, the title 'Little Malcolm Loves His Dad' was actually written by Stan Tracey, but always credited to Rollins.
    With regards to Rick Laird, maybe he depped for Napper on one of the above dates?
    Perhaps the indefatigable Mr Spillett can shed further light on this maybe.
    Thanks for this information. This extract from a Tubby Hayes discography differs from yours :

18 and 22-25.10.65

Alfie Soundtrack

Keith Christie (tb), Sonny Rollins, Ronnie Scott, Hayes (ts), Stan Tracey (p), Ernie Shear or Dave Goldberg (g), Johnny Hawksworth (b) and Phil Seamen (d).

Twickenham Studios, London, UK.

Alfie Theme
    Incidental Music

(Note: The musicians are credited with recording the film soundtrack for Alfie with a total playing
    time of just over 11minutes. A note below the session detail reads ‘the above track listing is the total playing time for the theme and incidental music. All themes are fragmentary lasting, in most cases, only a few seconds’).

So, two different bass players and yet no Rick Laird?
    Jazzjet

Alfie and Tubby

The information I have on the Alfie sessions lists Hawksworth on bass and came via Stan Tracey's discographer Stephen Didymus, who, I believe, gleaned it from Stan's work diaries of the time.

Both Napper and Laird worked with Rollins at Ronnie's during the mid-1960s and would have seemed ideal choices for the recording but I'd imagine Hawksworth got the job because of his existing studio session contacts (he was a prolific composer for commercial film and television).

If anyone wants to have a look at an interesting "discussion" about another bass players contribution to a recording with Tubby Hayes, check out Organissimo's thread on George Duvivier's work on Tubbs In New York. It seems we may have all been mistaken......

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSpill View Post
    The information I have on the Alfie sessions lists Hawksworth on bass and came via Stan Tracey's discographer Stephen Didymus, who, I believe, gleaned it from Stan's work diaries of the time.

Both Napper and Laird worked with Rollins at Ronnie's during the mid-1960s and would have seemed ideal choices for the recording but I'd imagine Hawksworth got the job because of his existing studio session contacts (he was a prolific composer for commercial film and television).

If anyone wants to have a look at an interesting "discussion" about another bass players contribution to a recording with Tubby Hayes, check out Organissimo's thread on George Duvivier's work on Tubbs In New York. It seems we may have all been mistaken......
    Thanks, Simon, for the information. I'm sure your sources are accurate but the thing I find odd is the quote from Rick Laird in an interview in Guitar Player magazine from 1980 :
    'Thirsting for more knowledge, Rick studied from 1963 to'64 at London's Guild Hall school. There he learned bowing techniques from a classical bassist and in the meantime continued to pick up ideas from records as well. And from his work at Ronnie Scott's he received a call from saxophonist Sonny Rollins to record the soundtrack for the movie Alfie in 1965. "When Sonny Rollins called me from New York and asked me to do it, I was really thrilled," Laird recalls. "It was really interesting, because we had no music to work from. We just went to the studio, and while they ran the film for us we improvised to the scenes taking place on the screen. We had a few basic themes, but for the most part it was all spontaneous."

Difficult to imagine why he would have said all that if he wasn't there. Mysterious!
    Jazzjet

Well, that would seem to confirm Rick's contribution!

Thanks. I actually hadn't read that quote before.