Thread: New Releases Only

Tribal Tech, X

My review of Tribal Tech's X, today at All About Jazz.

Reuniting after a decade apart, the MO is the same for this west coast-based fusion juggernaut: studio jams are taken and shaped into discrete pieces. What makes this better than the group's last two records - Rockets and Thick - is that in the interim years, guitarist Scott Henderson, bassist Gary Willis, keyboardist Scott Kinsey and drummer Kirk Covington have been involved in a lot of other projects, the results of which they bring back to Tribal Tech, all while retaining its unmistakable sound and language.

High octane, high volume, X is a welcome return for Tribal Tech. Review here.

My review of John Moulder's "The Eleventh Hour: Live at the Green Mill" posted on the AAJ main site...

Whereas many of Chicago's jazz and blues guitar icons seem to channel the dark alleys and the bar sign neon of the city through their instruments, John Moulder's sound is more akin to a synthesis of the lakefront—a beauty and serenity that is just as likely to show a face of fury and cold precision. For some time now, Moulder has quietly been developing his sound into something quite unique. (Read the rest here on AAJ, plus a free album track)

My review of the Neil Cowley Trio's "The Face of Mount Molehill" pubbed on the main AAJ site...

The danger of composing tunes with catchy hooks and enthusiastic infusions of a string ensemble for a jazz album is that it gets dismissed as gussied up pop music; not jazz, just jazzy. Either unaware or unconcerned with the risk, pianist Neil Cowley presents a series of warm tunes that wear their heart on their sleeve. (Read the rest here on AAJ.)

Brad Mehldau Trio, Ode

My review of Brad Mehldau Trio's Ode, today at All About Jazz.

In the trio's first studio date since 2005's Day is Done, pianist Mehldau, trio charter member, bassist Larry Grenadier, and relative new kid on the block, Jeff Ballard, tackle 11 new Mehldau originals in a set that continues Mehldau's remarkable winning streak.

Review here.

Joel Harrison 7, Search

My review of guitarist/composer Joel Harrison's Search, today at All About Jazz.

For his latest set, the guitarist/composer brings back a number of friends from past albums along with a couple new ones, including keyboardist Gary Versace, bassist Stephan Crump, saxophonist Donny McCaslin, drummer Clarence Penn, violinist Christian Howes and cellist Dana Leong. Always ambitious, Harrison's 7 may be his best group yet, capable of detailed through composition as well as unfettered freedom. If Harrison's compositional acumen has been proven in his past few releases, he's always been a greater interpreter too, though folks may be surprised to hear how he handles The Allman Brothers' classic "Whipping Post" here.

Review here.

Bugge Wesseltoft, Songs

My review of Norwegian pianist Bugge Wesseltoft's Songs, today at All About Jazz.

While he's been experimenting with integration of technology in the context of solo piano performance over the past few years, Songs is a change on a couple fronts: an all-acoustic piano based on slow tempos and introspection, it's Bugge's standards record...though like none other you're likely to hear.

Review here

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

My review of Norwegian pianist Bugge Wesseltoft's Songs, today at All About Jazz.

While he's been experimenting with integration of technology in the context of solo piano performance over the past few years, Songs is a change on a couple fronts: an all-acoustic piano based on slow tempos and introspection, it's Bugge's standards record...though like none other you're likely to hear.

Review here
    Thanks for this John. Wow, he is great! His 'Silent night' brought me some tears, (that is a good thing) so I searched for his album and listened to the samples. It sounds like it is stunning. I can't get it really soon so I'm notating this for my wishlist; but well when this is his work I'm going to have to add him to my list of favourite pianists. On there f.e. Bill Evans, Jon Raney and Rob van Bavel to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by page View Post
    Thanks for this John. Wow, he is great! His 'Silent night' brought me some tears, (that is a good thing) so I searched for his album and listened to the samples. It sounds like it is stunning. I can't get it really soon so I'm notating this for my wishlist; but well when this is his work I'm going to have to add him to my list of favourite pianists. On there f.e. Bill Evans, Jon Raney and Rob van Bavel to name a few.
    Page, if you like "Silent Night" from the video you should definitivly check out "It's snowing on my piano". Simply georgeous!

Thanks save, I will try to find it.
    kind regards, page

Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Hot House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzUVi1JkunA

This is a pleasant surprise. This duo could turn up and play the phone book and i'd be sold. I've been falling in love with Corea all over again lately so this is perfect timing for me... on a roll with Burton too following last year's stellar Common Ground. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by xybert View Post
    Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Hot House

!
    Review in the can and coming soon

Simcock/Garland/Sirkis, Lighthouse

My review of Gwilym Simcock, Tim Garland and Asaf Sirkis' Lighthouse, today at All About Jazz.

Review here.

My review of Kenny Wheeler Big Band's The Long Waiting, today at All About Jazz.

Review here

Dressing Like a Fan Since 1997 1/2 Baked, Not Fried's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jcam_44 View Post
    Y

Let me know what you think of the sound quality. The bass in particular. If you got the cd version.
    jcam: Re: the new Jeff Parker Trio: A very nice little album, I'd say. Fairly mellow, all in all, and Parker's tone is pretty clean throughout. As for the bass, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but overall, I'd say the mix sounds pretty good to me. Worth checking out.
    I think there are only three things America will be known for 2,000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. Gerald Early 1952–, American Author

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 Baked, Not Fried View Post
    jcam: Re: the new Jeff Parker Trio: A very nice little album, I'd say. Fairly mellow, all in all, and Parker's tone is pretty clean throughout. As for the bass, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but overall, I'd say the mix sounds pretty good to me. Worth checking out.

Huh, maybe its just my copy. the bass sounds like it clipped when recorded on a couple tracks. The first track inparticular.