Thread: New Releases Only

Quote Originally Posted by dsschicago View Post

Joe Locke - Geoffrey Keezer - "Signing"
    -Lovely album. Locke and Keezer are on a roll.

Also, new album by Kenny Garrett "Seeds of the Underground" is pretty rockin'. You can stream it on the Mack Avenue (label) site.
    This latest from Joe Locke / Geoffrey Keezer is great. The opening (=title track) really cooks.

As for Kenny Garrett's latest Seeds from the Underground (Mack Avenue), it's a good surprise. Over the last decade, I personally have found Garrett's records uneven. Beyond the Wall, while it had its moments, didn't hold up for me over the long run. Simply Said and Happy People: both had several excellent tracks mixed with others leaning to a smooth jazz sheen. There's no doubt that he's a tremendous talent--something that Miles recognized and took full advantage of in his last years. I've seen Garrett live just once--and he was a wonderfully fiery presence on stage. He and his band hit the ground running. And, in my view, his 1997 Songbook was one of the best jazz records of the 90s. But since then, I've been more wary. Well, I find this new one, at least after one complete listen, consistently high energy, really engaging. A fine backing band, especially Benito Gonzalez on piano. I'm surprised that there's not be a review on AAJ. In any case, it's well worth exploring.

Guillermo Klein - Carrera

Pre ordered this one today on Amazon - due out in the third week in May.

Near San Francisco in the Santa Cruz Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Alypius View Post
    As for Kenny Garrett's latest Seeds from the Underground (Mack Avenue), it's a good surprise. Over the last decade, I personally have found Garrett's records uneven. Beyond the Wall, while it had its moments, didn't hold up for me over the long run. Simply Said and Happy People: both had several excellent tracks mixed with others leaning to a smooth jazz sheen. There's no doubt that he's a tremendous talent--something that Miles recognized and took full advantage of in his last years. I've seen Garrett live just once--and he was a wonderfully fiery presence on stage. He and his band hit the ground running. And, in my view, his 1997 Songbook was one of the best jazz records of the 90s. But since then, I've been more wary. Well, I find this new one, at least after one complete listen, consistently high energy, really engaging. A fine backing band, especially Benito Gonzalez on piano. I'm surprised that there's not be a review on AAJ. In any case, it's well worth exploring.
    I bought this album, and it has some good stuff on it. But if I really want to get a hit of Kenny, I listen to "African Exchange Student." (1990) That album just kills it. Unavailable for a long time, you can now get in on Amazon, new or used and downloadable. For me, any one song on that album beats the whole of the new one. TrioLogy, Pursuance, and Standard of Language are pretty great, too.

Cheers,
    RM

I like what I like. Is that such a crime?
    Favorite Jazz Recordings - www.actionplan.com/jazz.html

Quote Originally Posted by robmid View Post
    I bought this album, and it has some good stuff on it. But if I really want to get a hit of Kenny, I listen to "African Exchange Student." (1990) That album just kills it. Unavailable for a long time, you can now get in on Amazon, new or used and downloadable. For me, any one song on that album beats the whole of the new one. TrioLogy, Pursuance, and Standard of Language are pretty great, too.
    Standard of Language is my fave. I agree with Alypius that Garrett's recent records have been hit-or-miss.

I plan to check out the new one. Haven't heard it yet.
    Explore my web site dedicated to Bobby Hutcherson:
    http://www.musicweb-international.com/jazz/Hutcherson

Amit Friedman - Sunrise

Just ordered this!

Sing Sing Penelope – This Is The Music / Volume 1 (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by jcam_44 View Post

Amit Friedman - Sunrise

Just ordered this!
    I believe Origin usually offers their music as downloadable but right now, not even samples on their site. Jcam, had you heard any of this before buying? The description on Origin sounds promising and I really like Middle Eastern infused jazz.

Cheers,
    RM

I believe Origin usually offers their music as downloadable but right now, not even samples on their site. Jcam, had you heard any of this before buying? The description on Origin sounds promising and I really like Middle Eastern infused jazz.

Cheers,
    Rob, It's not available as a download on Amazon, but you can download it from iTunes (and there are samples there).

Anders Koppel - Everything is Subject to Change

This one is quite different. Rather magical. Koppel on ethereal B3 + Kenny Werner on piano plus Koppel's son on Sax. Creates quit an atmosphere bridging classical and jazz. Unlike any other album I own. Love it.

Cheers,
    RM

Cheers,

Amit Friedman Sextet "Sunrise" has shot up to the top of my best of 2012 list. I've been listening to it for about a month and my enthusiasm hasn't waned.

You can hear samples of it on emusic here...

http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/-/-/13316990/

And here's a full album song on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuMPX-_tG9M

Guitarist doubles on oud, and Friedman backs his sextet with a string quartet. Album absolutely soars, though gets some moments of swing in, too. Just beautiful. I'll be putting a review up on my site soon, and I'm sure it won't be long before someone writes something up for AAJ, too.

Here's a decent live video of the title-track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eer2u0Qgv8g

Quote Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post

Guillermo Klein - Carrera

Pre ordered this one today on Amazon - due out in the third week in May.
    Thanks for the tip slowshoes... the samples sound awesome... actually pretty excited for this... i really dug Filtros but i kind of had it pegged as one of those lonely gem albums that sits alone in my collection, where i just never really feel the urge to explore further... looks like i'll be picking this up too.

Cheers,
    It's available on E-music.

Cheers,
    The only thing I heard was Ups and Downs on youtube. Other than that it was a fairly blind purchase, which I tend to do a lot. I like the feeling of opening a cd and experiencing the joy of hearing something for the first time.

Plus I have a 2000 mile move this weekend and wanted some new music for the drive!

For any of you guys who are Sunna Gunnlaugs fans, she has a free download of a live recording called At Nordic House at the bandcamp site. You can get it in pretty much in any format, as per usual for Bandcamp.

Herculaneum - UCHU

Another great release from Herculaneum. Well worth the listen.

Cheers,
    RM