Thread: New Releases Only

Quote Originally Posted by robmid View Post
    Herculaneum - UCHU

Another great release from Herculaneum. Well worth the listen.

Cheers,
    I enjoyed Herculaneum III on clean feed, and was initially disappointed to see that this album was apparently available only on vinyl or itunes/amazon downloads... your post prompted me to do a bit of a search and found it on Bandcamp though:

http://herculaneum.bandcamp.com/album/uch

Nice stuff... has a Full Throttle Orchestra vibe but slightly poppier and more concise... also found an album that they put out in 2010 that i had no idea about called 'Olives & Orchids':

http://herculaneum.bandcamp.com/album/olives-orchids

Cheers.

Near San Francisco in the Santa Cruz Mountains
    I gotta admire this band for several reasons: A four-horn frontline, great melodies, a rhythm section that cooks, a modern sound with a solid jazz foundation and a focus on their brand, not an individual player.

Cheers,
    RM

I like what I like. Is that such a crime?
    Favorite Jazz Recordings - www.actionplan.com/jazz.html

Rob, Thanks for the heads up on Herculaneum. They're new to me, and it's a great sound. And Xybert, thanks for the bandcamp link. It's always terrific to hear more than clips.

John Abercrombie Quartet, Within a Song (ECM). To become available in the U.S. on May 22nd.

The great thing here is that Abercrombie has enlisted Joe Lovano for this outing. You can stream the opening track on ECM's website (and it's classic soulful Lovano):
    http://player.ecmrecords.com/abercrombie

Amazon does list it, but only as a $38 import. We'll see if that's the only way to get it.

Abercrombie with Loe Lovano sounds like the real deal! I've felt his releases were a little soft-centered for some time. Maybe Joe will add a little fire!

Cheers,
    RM

Steve Kuhn, Wisteria

My review of pianist Steve Kuhn's Wisteria, today at All About Jazz.

With drummer Joey Baron back from Mostly Coltrane, Kuhn turns to an old friend, Steve Swallow, last heard on ECM with the pianist on 1975's Trance, to fill the bass chair of this trio date of mostly originals. Another stellar set from a perennially undervalued pianist.

Review here.

Krzysztof Komeda - Live at the Jazz Jamboree Festival 1961 - 1967 (Polskie Nagrania,

Mind-blowing archive set!!!

More: http://polish-jazz.blogspot.com/2012...-jamboree.html

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

My review of pianist Steve Kuhn's Wisteria, today at All About Jazz.

With drummer Joey Baron back from Mostly Coltrane, Kuhn turns to an old friend, Steve Swallow, last heard on ECM with the pianist on 1975's Trance, to fill the bass chair of this trio date of mostly originals. Another stellar set from a perennially undervalued pianist.

Review here.
    Nice review, John.

I'm really looking forward to hearing this CD.

Remembering Tomorrow is one of my all-time favorite trio recordings. Can't imagine that this would be any less wonderful -- especially with Swallow on bass.
    Explore my web site dedicated to Bobby Hutcherson:
    http://www.musicweb-international.com/jazz/Hutcherson

Quote Originally Posted by Polish Jazz View Post
    I just started listening to his solo piano album from last year. Real nice stuff.

Some new releases that I really like:

Carla Marciano Quartet - "Streams of Consciousness"
    -For fans of Nat Birchall and John Coltrane.

Romain Colin - "The Calling"
    -New Piano Trio music. Piano trio + electronics. For fans of E.S.T. and Jacob Karlzon 3.

There's a few others I really like, but lemme look upthread to see if I've already posted about them.

I just got an announcement from Nonesuch concerning a new Pat Metheny record. This will feature Chris Potter on sax, with Antonio Sanchez on drums and a new bass player, Ben Williams. The record is to be released June 12th:

Here's the link to Nonesuch's webpage that gives all the info; however, clips are not yet available:
    http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/unity-band

Not out until September according to Amazon, but I'm looking forward to it.

http://youtu.be/YzUVi1JkunA

Sketches of Pangea - Perico Sambeat et al - May 8

I don't know much about this except it seems to be a Miles tribute of sorts. Acoustic, not electric, from a Hungarian music label. Samples at AMG.
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
    Not out until September according to Amazon, but I'm looking forward to it.

http://youtu.be/YzUVi1JkunA

Released in Europe back in March, I reviewed it here.

As expected, a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

Released in Europe back in March, I reviewed it here.

As expected, a winner.

Thanks for the info John - I knew is was released in Europe already, but I didn't know it was as early as March. Is it me, or is that an an unusually long time between the European and US release dates?

I've thoroughly enjoyed Hot House... in particular, i wasn't familiar with the Bill Evans tune 'Time Remembered' before, but the version on Hot House has become one of those special 'gem' tunes for me...

Just reread John's review again and wanted to highlight this part:

Augmented by The Harlem String Quartet, the episodic "One for Mozart" harkens back to the duo's Lyric Suite for Sextet (ECM, 1982), while presaging the duo's next CD, which will return to that expanded format.

Another CD already in the planning stages is terrific news from one of the longest-lasting partnerships in jazz.

I'd wondered where i'd gotten it into my head that there was a new Sextet album coming out... cheers for the tip John!

I've been loving Corea's recent releases, which i've spoken about at length elsewhere... i also have 'The Continents' on order and can't wait.

In other new release news, while not yet available for pre order the new Henry Threadgill album is showing up on the Pi site:

Tomorrow Sunny / The Revelry, Spp (scheduled for release June 2012).

Read about it here: http://pirecordings.com/album/pi43

I'm beyond excited for this. Threadgill is one of my favourite artists and his recent work in particular has been nothing short of transcendent. I seriously give thanks that his music is been further documented in recorded form.

Doesn't seem to be many Threadgill devotees on the board, but i know there are a lot of Frisell fans (myself included) and they may be swayed by Frisell's words:

“I’m listening to Henry Theadgill’s new album, “Tomorrow Sunny / The Revelry Spp”. I love it when this happens. Always hoping for these rare occurrences. Re-consideration. Clarity. First time I heard Henry was in Spa Belgium.. 1978-79..Chapati Club. Air. Man, was that ever great! Then, a couple years later in New York with his Sextet. Olu Dara. Wow! I haven’t heard all his records…can’t keep track of everything he does…but try to check in regularly. Always inspiring. My mind is opened. I’m thinking of Louis Armstrong. Inventor. What would he have sounded like to us back then? ..at the beginning? No reference. For the first time. What was he thinking? How can we get to that? New language. Spark. Explosion. Henry has that. No compromise. He’s one of the few. Gives me hope. It IS possible. There is another way. There is a way. There is a way to get there. A way to get to that place. Re-invention. Propelled forward. Into beauty. Discovering a new plant. To remain curious and continue to be surprised. Question. Clarity. Mystery. Music. Thank you Henry.” - Bill Frisell