Thread: New Releases Only

Quote Originally Posted by Alypius View Post
    I just got an announcement from Nonesuch concerning a new Pat Metheny record. This will feature Chris Potter on sax, with Antonio Sanchez on drums and a new bass player, Ben Williams. The record is to be released June 12th:

Here's the link to Nonesuch's webpage that gives all the info; however, clips are not yet available:
    http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/unity-band

I've heard that this line up will be at the Detroit Jazz Fest this September too.

Two great releases:

With David Gilmore on guitar. Terrific playing. Remind me a bit of Miles Davis' second quintet.

So beautiful, and groovy as well.

Both available on E-music.

Quote Originally Posted by slowshoes View Post
    Thanks for the info John - I knew is was released in Europe already, but I didn't know it was as early as March. Is it me, or is that an an unusually long time between the European and US release dates?
    It is.... unless you`re ECM (which this is not, so to answer: yes, though probably had something to do with a tour, which often causes dates to get moved if the record is ready, since that is where most sales happen these days)...

Miles Okazaki Figurations

I can hardly wait for this one to be released!

AAJ review here

Near San Francisco in the Santa Cruz Mountains
    Tom Harrell - Number 5 - May 22

Tom keeps cranking 'em out consistently. I didn't pick up the last one, but I hope this one is good.

Return to Foreven - The Mothership Returns

A live date from 2011 on 3 CDs.

Cheers,
    RM

I like what I like. Is that such a crime?
    Favorite Jazz Recordings - www.actionplan.com/jazz.html

Quote Originally Posted by robmid View Post
    Tom Harrell - Number 5 - May 22

Tom keeps cranking 'em out consistently. I didn't pick up the last one, but I hope this one is good.
    A number of surprises on this one:
    1. First quintet album on High Note to feature a mix of solo, duo, trio, quartet and quintet tracks;
    2. First quintet album on High Note to feature some non-originals
    3. First quintet album on High Note to feature some pretty free playing.

There's one more surprise; but I'll let you find that one out when you pick up the disc.

And you should pick up the last one too, Rob..it's as good as the rest of 'em. But this one is definitely a different beast, while still capitalizing on the chemistry that's evolved with this marvelous band.

Quote Originally Posted by robmid View Post
    Return to Foreven - The Mothership Returns

A live date from 2011 on 3 CDs.

Cheers,
    I've had the CDs for a couple months (DVD on its way, not just a DVD of the music on the CDs - a doc and some live footage). I enjoyed this tour much more than the one with Di Meola from 2008 (or was it 9?), and this confirms it..and why. These guys sound like they're having fun, without the baggage of one guy whining during the tour....

New Adam Baldych album coming out on ACT in a couple weeks. Includes Jacob Karlzon on piano.

Also, new Brian Blade Fellowship album due later this year.

Near San Francisco in the Santa Cruz Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by dsschicago View Post
    Also, new Brian Blade Fellowship album due later this year.
    Now that I'm looking forward to!

Cheers,
    RM

I like what I like. Is that such a crime?
    Favorite Jazz Recordings - www.actionplan.com/jazz.html

New Alexander Hawkins (Convergence Quartet) album 'All There, Ever Out' can be listened to and purchased here: http://babel-label.bandcamp.com/albu...there-ever-out

Quote Originally Posted by xybert View Post
    New Alexander Hawkins (Convergence Quartet) album 'All There, Ever Out' can be listened to and purchased here: http://babel-label.bandcamp.com/albu...there-ever-out

Hoping to get around to reviewing this...it's a strong effort from a name new to me.

Registered User The elephant shrew's Avatar

Ketil Bjørnstad - Vindigng's music: Songs from the Alder Thicket (ECM)

I've just ordered this new ECM release, because I really like so much of what Mr Bjørnstad has put out over the years. I'm not sure it's really a jazz album as such, though.
    It's one disc of solo piano, and then one disc of a concert of (classical) orchestral music referenced in Bjørnstad's 'Vinding' trilogy of books.
    I suppose I'm mainly buying it for the first disc: the audio samples I've heard are up my street, anyway.

"Into the sapphire of the day with it, so we are"

Just stumbled on a great high-energy “jazz metal” trio called Trioscapes (sax, bass, drums). Their debut record, Separate Realities (Metal Blade), was released yesterday (May 8th).

They formed originally to do a cover of Mahavishnu Orchestra’s “Celestial Terrestrial Commuters” (which is on the record--and may be the least exciting track). The musicians come from a metal background of some sort (death metal? black metal? I’m out of my league here) and the record is released on a metal label. There is both a live version of the excellent opening track as well as the studio version of it on the label’s website:
    http://www.metalblade.com/trioscapes/

While they refer to themselves as “jazz metal,” they have some debts to early 70s fusion jazz and prog rock (check out the flute-based more mellow final track). It has the driving energy of metal, but the overall feel is really fresh, original. Reminds me a bit of the 2009 sax trio The Kandinsky Effect. There’s lots of buzz for the group on various metal websites, and you can tell that this sort of electric jazz is something new for most metal fans—but is also something instinctly they enjoy. I know that various people around here come from a metal background, but the sound of this has much much wider appeal.

Bob Downes' latest release

You're Funkin' Good is the latest release by Bob Downes on his own Openian label. Recorded in 2001 with a couple of of local musicians, Bodo Ernst (bass guitar) and Stefan Grau (keyboards) this is a good example of just how good Bob's sax and flute work really is. This is mainly because the recording is devoid of drums, so the listener can really hear the sax or flute (not forgetting the occasional vocal track too - check out 'Carol'). Sound samples of tracks are available on his website.
    http://www.bobdownesmusic.de/
    Openian BDOM 14312 (2012)
    Roger F

"Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny." - Frank Zappa

Ian Carr and Nucleus | Remembering Tubbs

Wayne Krantz: Howie 61

My review of Wayne Krantz's Howie 61, today at All About Jazz.

For his second Abstract Logix release, Krantz shifts further to shorter pieces and, in this case, song form, where the veteran guitarist sings on almost all tracks - but for those who shudder at the thought of an instrumental artist turning to vocals, this is neither a sell-out or a cringe-fest. Instead, with a cast of great supporting players, Krantz's writing is witty and incisive, and if the soloing is shorter and the tunes a little less, well, epic, they may actually be the stronger for it. This is quite possibly his best record to date, and one that'll retain those who've already been along for the ride, while winning him some new fans at the same time.

Review here.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post

And you should pick up the last one too, Rob..it's as good as the rest of 'em. But this one is definitely a different beast, while still capitalizing on the chemistry that's evolved with this marvelous band.

Agreed! If for no other reason than one needs to hear the playing of Wayne Escoffery, arguably one of the most exciting sax players out there, at least he is imo. Escoffery alone is worth the price of admission for any album he's featured on, and then you combine him with Harrell and the combination is not to be ignored. The dialogue with Harrell, their textural sounds, the contrast in improvisational styles with Escoffery improvising over Harrell's ever-brilliant arrangements, are all as compelling to me as anything being being released today. I'm just sorry - now that I hear they've released new music- that I recently missed out on hearing them down at the Village Vanguard.