Thread: Real Book font for finale.

Real Book font for finale.

Has anyone tried this? http://notation.jochenpietsch.de/index_e.html
    Does it work for finale/sibelius? Is it copyrighted?

Compose /Arranger / Jazz Prod. Phil Kelly's Avatar
    Actually, you can diddle with the Jazz Font a bit ( make the note heads a bit bigger etc ) and it'll resemble the Real Book stuff.

Maybe Jer ( being the resident Finale guru on AAJ ) can explain how to do it.
    Swing ..or I'll kill you ( Bill Potts )
    RIP

Piano/Compose/Arrange engelbach's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuededSwede View Post
    Has anyone tried this? http://notation.jochenpietsch.de/index_e.html
    Does it work for finale/sibelius? Is it copyrighted?
    Have you tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kelly View Post
    Actually, you can diddle with the Jazz Font a bit ( make the note heads a bit bigger etc ) and it'll resemble the Real Book stuff.

Maybe Jer ( being the resident Finale guru on AAJ ) can explain how to do it.
    Thanks for the new title. I don't know how to make global changes to Finale's fonts. I'm happy with Maestro and occasionally use Jazz (as seldom as possible — I see no point to a font that mimics handwriting).

I don't really care about either the Real Book fonts or Finale's chord suffixes. I use my own chord suffixes.

Hmm. I seem to sound a little grumpy.
    Jerry Engelbach, piano/arrange/compose
    Engelbach Music
    Weaver of Dreams
    Artwork

No I dont have a note editor and desperatly need one. I thought this seemed fun.

Guitarist/Oudist/Composer jazz oud's Avatar
    I've used them (Finale on a Mac).

I like the New Real Book chords/suffixes, but the font is a little weird and takes some getting used to. Very readable chord symbols, though.

The others I don't really like. The old real book font looks like the old real book, i.e., sloppy and amateurish. The other one mimics the "Colorado Book" and I just don't care for it.

The best looking "hand" fonts I've found are Golden Age and RussMusic. RussMusic is about $50, while Golden Age is free last time I checked.

I hate the "jazz" font, but the new hand font with finale 2009+ looks a little better.

I don't particularly care for Maestro, it looks too computerized to me (though it's way better than Finale's prior fonts).
    I reconfigured the Lilypond font, which has more of an engraved look, for Finale a few years back and use that when I want an engraved look.

As far as copyrights go, if this guy made these fonts and says you can use them, it's OK. I researched this a while ago, and my understanding is that only the actual computer font is copyrighted. You can't really own the design of a typeface, so whether the "look" belongs to Sher or whomever isn't really an issue.
    Essentially, the shapes of letters are public domain, and the relatively minor variations on them in typefaces/fonts don't rise to the level of original creations.
    But I'm not a lawyer and the above is not meant to constitute legal advice.