Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What The...

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    At least 4 per person + a spare in case of accidents

In Scotland there is quite a good second hand market

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

I really don´t hope that I´m offending the female posters on this board by passing this link:

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/sport_p...cle1285189.ece

This shows that the Danish Curling team easily could convert to pole dancers!

I guess I had that coming. I'm not offended, I'm familiar with what a woman looks like. I don't read Danish very well but my guess is that is a pinup-photo for a calender. Talking about the sport, this is not the same in my opinion. I say this as someone who has danced for years in the past, just for a hobby btw. Several kinds of dances, mainly ballroom and latin, but therefore I can see dance, any dance as a sport where you do have to train for and where you actually do get to wear clothes while dancing.

Stones

A friend of mine used to live up north and was part of a curling team. We got to talking about it at dinner the other night and he is still quite passionate about it. After many years still has his curing shoes and bromm that he refuses to let the wife throw away. Anyway, he told us a bunch of info on the sport, stratigies, methodology, etc... and it all seems very interesting after hearing him talk about it. Turns out that these stones can only be quarried from one place in somewhere like Ireland, or somewhere. Again, interesting stuff.
    On another "note", I think the skiing coupled with the shooting is the bomb! It makes me think that this is something that happened on a daily basis in "Greek and Roman Times" as a necessity and not just for fun.

The major source for quarrying the stones is in Scotland, but there are other smaller sources now.

Even the brushers have an important job. Brushing gives an extra polish to the ice, so brushing directly in front gives a longer stone (and no, brushing behind it does not make it slow down)

If you brush to the side you can make the stone curve in that direction. As soon as the stone crosses the outer rim of the target the throwing team must stop brushing but the other team can then startbrushing to influence where the stone goes

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

Vocals
    The stones are made from granite that comes from Ailsa Craig, a small island in the Firth of Clyde. So therrre!

Kj

Correct

There was even a documentary part devoted to that -- was it "Coast"

I left it at Scotland to avoid having to explain -- I'm lazy like that

With the current weather maybe we should have an AAJ Bonspiel. Disappointed that the Lake of Menteith one didn't take place back in January

Vocals
    Quote Originally Posted by krooner View Post
    The stones are made from granite that comes from Ailsa Craig, a small island in the Firth of Clyde. So therrre!

Kj
    I should have added - according to the tv commentator on last night's olympic curling tournament. [ or should I say, Bonspiel?]

Kj

Quote Originally Posted by page View Post
    I'm all for that, Sandy, but it seems to be more of a summergame to me despite the word 'pole'.. I might vote for belleydance to become an olympic sport myself, lol.

About the Olympics games, we had our own big drama there with our skating hero Sven Kramer who got disqualified last night because of a fault of his coach. He would have won the gold for sure. I really feel sorry for him and his coach.
    That was the worst. Too bad Kramer can't be given another skate.

Kramer was furious, which is understandable.

All of that training and exertion, his hopes and dreams dashed when his coach made such a horrific mistake. Surely someone was watching the coach and could have called him off had they themselves picked up on his error. Surely a track official could have waved him off, or a team mate?

Keep us posted as to what the talk is in your country Page.
    Sandi from Hermosa Beach

Wink March

Quote Originally Posted by dsschicago View Post
    Congratulations on your pregnancy, Justin. What month are you expecting?
    I'm not sure about Justin, but I'm expecting March. If my calculations are correct it should be here on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Saundra Hummer View Post
    That was the worst. Too bad Kramer can't be given another skate.

Kramer was furious, which is understandable.

All of that training and exertion, his hopes and dreams dashed when his coach made such a horrific mistake. Surely someone was watching the coach and could have called him off had they themselves picked up on his error. Surely a track official could have waved him off, or a team mate?
    Well those are the rules and yes he seems to have quite a temper but understandable indeed. Apparently his coach was writing something on a board which is usually done by someone else, so he got confused and looked what the other skater was doing. He concluded Sven had to go inside which was wrong. Sven did win the 5000, and he has another shot with his team this weekend. He has a chance for that, but it is a shame because this one was his race.
    He still holds the worldtitle at the 5 and 10 km, the European and the National title, so it is not that he hasn't had success. And this was all with this same coach, so.. People make mistakes, however unfortunate sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saundra Hummer View Post

Keep us posted as to what the talk is in your country Page.
    Well the government fell this week, finally, don't know if that is interesting to know about.

Quote Originally Posted by page View Post
    Well those are the rules and yes he seems to have quite a temper but understandable indeed. Apparently his coach was writing something on a board which is usually done by someone else, so he got confused and looked what the other skater was doing. He concluded Sven had to go inside which was wrong. Sven did win the 5000, and he has another shot with his team this weekend. He has a chance for that, but it is a shame because this one was his race.
    He still holds the worldtitle at the 5 and 10 km, the European and the National title, so it is not that he hasn't had success. And this was all with this same coach, so.. People make mistakes, however unfortunate sometimes.

Well the government fell this week, finally, don't know if that is interesting to know about.
    Page: The government fell over the Afganistan mission, did it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy View Post
    Page: The government fell over the Afganistan mission, did it not?
    Yes, it dit indeed.

I just watched the womens semifinal Switzerland vs Canada. What a game! They certainly play better than Denmark. I do really respect the curlers who know how to curl!

Wasn´t the Dutch government a so-called "coalition" meaning that the opposing parties make a government? I heard about that in Germany and never quite understood how that can work if it can.

Quote Originally Posted by krooner View Post
    I should have added - according to the tv commentator on last night's olympic curling tournament. [ or should I say, Bonspiel?]

Kj
    I don't think so. A Bonspiel is, I believe, a spcial match that has to be played out of doors on unsmoothed ice. Tends to make it more difficult