Thread: Walk on the Wild Side sax solo...

Walk on the Wild Side sax solo...

The Lou Reed song, you must know it. Anyway, was asked the other day who it was and I happened to know it was David Bowie's old sax teacher, I think his name is Robbie Ross? Anyway, I was also asked who else played like him as we both agreed we really liked the style of that particular solo, but I couldn't really think of any one player that had a reasonable body of work that sounded like this. My best guess was Stan Getz, but I'm sure some of you guys can think of better comparisons!

Ronnie Ross
    Keep the Blue Flame Burning

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Ronnie Ross
    Ha! thanks, yeah Ronnie Ross, still can't find much on him, did he release any solo records?

Oppressed into submission jazzbluescat's Avatar
    The solo I heard was a bari, I heard it was Ronnie Cuber. Nice playing, btw.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbluescat View Post
    The solo I heard was a bari, I heard it was Ronnie Cuber. Nice playing, btw.
    Pretty sure it was Ronnie Ross, who played a bari btw... He died in 1991 it seems and was a sideman on dozens of sessions as well as a few outings as leader. Would love to know of any available discs still available where he was a leader featuring solos in that smokey, slinky bluesy vibe....

First of all, no argument, it was Ronnie Ross on the Lou Reed song.

There's a 2 LPs-on-one-CD issue available dirt cheap on British Amazon - Stompin' With The Ronnie Ross Quintet.

But it's true that Ronnie had very little issued under his own name, and most of it has not been reissued on CD.

I had the privilege of seeing Ronnie play live quite a few times at Sunday lunchtime sessions at a surburban pub, over 20 years ago. You don't know what you've got till it's gone ......

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzclub View Post
    First of all, no argument, it was Ronnie Ross on the Lou Reed song.

There's a 2 LPs-on-one-CD issue available dirt cheap on British Amazon - Stompin' With The Ronnie Ross Quintet.

But it's true that Ronnie had very little issued under his own name, and most of it has not been reissued on CD.

I had the privilege of seeing Ronnie play live quite a few times at Sunday lunchtime sessions at a surburban pub, over 20 years ago. You don't know what you've got till it's gone ......
    Cheers for that. So who would you compare his style to? Or rather, you would you say he may have been influenced by? (not just bari players)

Ronnie had a distinctive sound on baritone. He doesn't sound like, say Gerry Mulligan or Pepper Adams.

I know that he played a Conn Cross-bar, which was what Mulligan played. For some reason the Conns and some other earlier baris without a low A seem to have a mellower sound, and IMHO he shared this tonal quality with Mulligan.

Given his generation, there were not too many prominent bari players around on record to provide an influence. But most bari players owe a debt to Harry Carney and Gerry Mulligan. The other non-bari influences would (I'm guessing) have been through the British big band scene of the fifties.

It's worth checking out the following links:

http://http://ronnierossmusic.blogspot.com/
    http://ronnieross1.tripod.com/

I know a bari player that was with Kenton(many years ago, along with Kenton's last female vocalist) that swears by his old Conn. He gets a big sound, pretty much effortless.

Love that bari solo on Walk ON The Wild Side, btw.
    A lot of good arguments are ruined by some fool who knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    Pretty sure it was Ronnie Ross, who played a bari btw... He died in 1991 it seems and was a sideman on dozens of sessions as well as a few outings as leader. Would love to know of any available discs still available where he was a leader featuring solos in that smokey, slinky bluesy vibe....
    Bit hotter than his smokey, slinky bluesy vibe, but fantastic nonetheless ...

Cleopatra's Needle, from his album of that name and compiled on Gilles Peterson's Impressed ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYyJhIscMfE

And to cross-reference another recent thread, absolutely archetypal British '60s jazz to my, often cloth, ears ....
    I used to be a kleptomaniac, but I'm taking something for it now.

Quote Originally Posted by andyp View Post
    Bit hotter than his smokey, slinky bluesy vibe, but fantastic nonetheless ...

Cleopatra's Needle, from his album of that name and compiled on Gilles Peterson's Impressed ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYyJhIscMfE

And to cross-reference another recent thread, absolutely archetypal British '60s jazz to my, often cloth, ears ....
    That was awesome, thanks!

I can't remember where I read it but the story (or legend) says that Ross walked into the studio, heard the finished backing track once then did his solo in one take, then listened to the playback and thanked everybody and left.

One take.......and thank you.

Regards;
    www.pandora.com

Yeah, quite remarkable, especially given the unlikelihood he's ever played against a Imaj7 - IVmaj7 vamp before. His choices against the IV chord are to die for.... Easily best sax solo in a "pop" song ever.

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    ......... Easily best sax solo in a "pop" song ever.
    VERY hip playing, how it fits and still very much jazz.