Thread: Need Recommendations

Need Recommendations

Hi, brand new member. I've recently fallen in love with jazz, but right now it's only a certain type, the "haunting" romantic instrumental type of stuff mentioned in this thread.

I also prefer trumpet oriented stuff. Miles Davis it what brought me into all of this late in life, from his "kind of blue" album.

So what I'm looking for specifically is artists or songs that would be comparable to Blue in Green and Flamenco Sketches with that same sort of instrumental flavor and trumpet playing.

I don't have the jazz knowledge to look for this on my own because I'm not familiar with artists, so I don't really know who they are or what instrument they play.

I've went to itunes and amazon and tried on my own, and it helps that you can listen to samples, but there's sooooo many albums and artists that my mind spins. No way I can do it that way because of sheer volume and lack of hours in the day.

I have stumbled across a couple of guys like Mark Isham and another that escapes me at the moment that are similar to what I like.

So I humbly ask for any help as you members seem to know your stuff. I really appreciate any help.

(I posted this message before, but probably not in the proper thread, so Mods feel free to delete the previous one)

Welcome to the board. I think you'll find that there's great info and knowledgeable folks around here. Let me encourage you to rummage around the various threads. There’s tons of good recommendations for newcomers. You said that you enjoyed Mile-like trumpeters. So let me suggest a mix from different eras. All of these have quieter, mellow pieces, but also have some upbeat and more high-spirited tracks as well. Few albums are as consistently mellow and yet relentlessly creative as Kind of Blue. Too often consistently quiet romantic records can drift off into smooth jazz. The brilliance of Kind of Blue was its quiet edginess, its deep reservoirs of energy simmering under the quiet surface. In any case, here are some varied suggestions:

1. Freddie Hubbard was one of the great trumpeters of all time. One might even argue that, in terms of pure trumpet technique, he was more gifted than Miles. (Of course, playing was only one part of Miles’ genius; he was a brilliant talent-scout, a fearless innovator, and a creative band leader.) Hubbard put out a good number of records under his own name. The best, IMO, is Ready for Freddie (Blue Note, 1961; remastered, Rudy Van Gelder series, 2004) (check out the romantic track "Weaver of Dreams.") I think Hubbard's most brilliant work was as a sideman. A few favorites in which Hubbard appears as a sideman:
    • Wayne Shorter, Speak No Evil (Blue Note, 1964; remastered, Rudy Van Gelder series, 1999) (romantic tracks: "Infant Eyes" and "Wild Flower," but don't miss the title track)
    • Herbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage (Blue Note, 1965; remastered, Rudy Van Gelder series, 1999) (the whole record is very mellow, especially the title track and "Dolphin Dance")
    • Herbie Hancock, Empyrean Isles (Blue Note, 1964; remastered, Rudy Van Gelder series, 1999) (check out: "Oliloqui Valley")

2. Dave Douglas is arguably the best contemporary trumpeter. Like Miles, he is restlessly creative and tends to shift his sound, sometimes dramatically, from record to record. He’s also remarkably prolific. Three recommendations to get started:
    • Dave Douglas, The Infinite (RCA / Bluebird, 2002). This is his most self-consciously Miles-like. Check out the track: "Unison".
    • Dave Douglas, In Our Lifetime (New World, 1994). This is a homage to gifted 1960s trumpeter Booker Little (who died at age 23). Check out the track "Persistence of Memory."
    • Dave Douglas, Keystone (Greenleaf, 2005). This uses electronic effects and is a beautiful and mellow soundtrack to a turn-of-the-century silent film. Check out the track "Butterfly Effect."

Here's a miscellany of others:
    Wynton Marsalis, Black Codes (from the Underground) (Columbia, 1985). Leader of the young lions movement in the 1980s; outspoken and prolific. Gifted, but I find his output uneven. But this record is a masterpiece.
    Terence Blanchard, Bounce (Blue Note, 2005). Blanchard is another of the “young lions” movement. He has a number of fine records, but this is my favorite.
    Enrico Rava, The Pilgrim and the Stars (ECM, 1975; reissue: 2008). Rava is an Italian trumpet who consciously took his cues from Miles' styles. Rava is remarkably productive and is still active. This early recording is a great place to start.
    Tomasz Stanko, Lontano (ECM, 2006). Stanko’s from Poland, and is one of Europe’s finest jazz artists. He has a remarkable group of young musicians backing him, notably Marcin Wasilewski on piano. Miles-like.
    Kenny Wheeler, Gnu High (ECM, 1976; reissue, 2008). Wheeler is a Canadian trumpeter, active since the 1970s. He’s done a number of great recordings with ECM. A good follow-up is his recent What Now?, with Dave Holland on bass and Chris Potter on sax.

Enjoy

You sound like a good candidate for http://www.pandora.com/#/stations/create/
    New kind of radio - tell it the artist you like and it plays that kind of music.

It's free - enjoy.

hey thanks guys!!!

thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely check these out. I know what I like, I'm just having a hard time finding it because of my lack of Jazz knowledge.

thanks for the warm welcome

I'd check out the Matthew Halsall disc "Colour Yes" (Godwana, 2009). Lots of Miles-esque playing there.

AAJ said "Colour Yes will delight fans of the dreamy astral jazz played by pianist/harpist Alice Coltrane, and that of saxophonists John Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders in their more reflective moments. Above all, it will bring a warm glow to enthusiasts for trumpeter Miles Davis and pianist Bill Evans circa Kind Of Blue (Columbia, 1959)."

Quote Originally Posted by Lampin' View Post
    I'd check out the Matthew Halsall disc "Colour Yes" (Godwana, 2009). Lots of Miles-esque playing there.

AAJ said "Colour Yes will delight fans of the dreamy astral jazz played by pianist/harpist Alice Coltrane, and that of saxophonists John Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders in their more reflective moments. Above all, it will bring a warm glow to enthusiasts for trumpeter Miles Davis and pianist Bill Evans circa Kind Of Blue (Columbia, 1959)."
    Halsall is a good rec. He's gotten a lot of chatter dedicated to him on the forum.
    You might also look into Ron Miles.