Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EMusic - Thoughts & Recommendations?

EMusic - Thoughts & Recommendations?

I thought it might be useful for AAJ•BB folks who subscribe to EMUsic to share experiences, recommendations, tips, information, whatever. So, um, here's a thread.

Lots of new material from Leo Records at EMusic in the last month or so, and especially noteworthy stuff from Cecil Taylor and Anthony Braxton.

[I'm not affiliated or promoting - just want to hear what other subscribers might have to share...]

Calling BFrank!

I'm not a subscriber. I'd be interested to learn what equipment you folks download to. Do you use an iPod-type machine? Do you just make CDs of your files?

I'm also curious regarding people's downloading habits since they changed their policy six months ago regarding unlimited downloads.
    www.russellmoon.com

Quote Originally Posted by GA Russell
    I'd be interested to learn what equipment you folks download to. Do you use an iPod-type machine? Do you just make CDs of your files?

I'm also curious regarding people's downloading habits since they changed their policy six months ago regarding unlimited downloads.
    I don't currently use an iPod or any mp3 player. My style hasn't caught up to the technology yet So, I just download, convert the mp3s to aiff files (Mac equivalent of wav files), and burn audio CDs. As for downloading habits - well, I went the cheap route after EMusic stepped away from unlimited downloads. My current plan is limited to 40 tracks per month, which is fine for me. I can usually acquire 4-5 albums a month that way for $10. And lord knows, EMusic isn't my only jazz acquisition point. (Talk to Amazon, they'll tell you... )

User
    Quote Originally Posted by GA Russell
    Calling BFrank!

I'm not a subscriber. I'd be interested to learn what equipment you folks download to. Do you use an iPod-type machine? Do you just make CDs of your files?

Right here, GA.

I picked up an Archos player/recorder about a year ago. It's been great for me. I just copy the MP3s into it through a USB 2.0 connection.

I used to make CDs, but since I got the player, I haven't done it much.

I stuck with the 40 DLs/month, too. It's plenty for me and keeps me "honest".
    Hip To It!

I'm particularly fond of them since the site was my first introduction to jazz.

Back when they offered unlimited downloads, I loaded about 20GB of music ... most of it artists
    who I'd heard of but never listened to.

Now that it's a limited download site, I'm a bit more selective.

Last month was Bill Evans.
    This month it's Monty Alexander.

Their clips are only 30 seconds and often don't work, so I usually go someplace like Amazon.com
    to listen to a cut before downloading it.

I download to disk and then burn to CD using MusicMatch.
    The downloads are fast - 2 or 3 minutes to download an entire album.

I archive my mp3 files to CD or DVD when I get low on disk space.

Their basic $9.99 - 40 song membership works out to only 25 cents a song.

Definitely worth trying for a month or 2 to see how you like it.

=

Thumbs up

I was a former (and very happy) member who finally canceled shortly before they changed their pricing structure. It's still not a bad deal at all. I burned CDRs so I could listen at work or in the car since I don't have a stand-alone mp3 player. The quality of their mp3s went up considerably after they switched to VBR. Highly recommended (though not quite as much now as before)
    Ray

"If you donot have tis album, you are stupid ass-donkey moron who no like jazz!!!"

I used to be a very happy subscriber, but I bailed once it went to limited downloads. Although the addition of LEO records and all those Anthony Braxton CDs might lure me back.

So far, I have only burned to cd. I want to get an mp3 jukebox, but I havent been able to bring myself to spend the money. I have mountain's of cd-r's, many of which are now just doubles of CD's i have since purchased.

Great prices, but...

I enjoyed what the free trial had to offer, but, for me, having the physical album and liner notes are essential to me for a "full" jazz experience. Personally, if I downloaded jazz, I wouldn't learn nearly as much about the artists and the sessions as I do by reading the CD/LP jacket.

One could argue that the liner notes are only just another form of promotional material, but every liner note has some bit of historical trivia that allows a "glimpse" into the minds of these esteemed musicians and the uniqueness of each session. The liner notes can usually be found online as well, but I need something tangible. Call me old-fashioned but that's my opinion.

Either way, the most important thing is that you find the music that you enjoy and can afford.

- Happy sounds
    Peder E. Horner, M.D.
    Jazz Webcaster
    Classic Jazz Corner: www.classicjazzcorner.com

Peder- I agree with what you're saying. Nothing beats having the album jacket/liner notes to read while listening to music. However, having bought an iPod last year, I've downloaded/bought quite a bit of music from the Apple Music Store in AAC format and have been quite happy with it. I've also recently discovered (and become HEAVILY addicted to) hard bop over the past few months. I've ended up buying CD's as well as well as music online and have been happy with both. While I miss having the aforementioned information in my hand while I'm listening to it, I've also found that it's easier to concentrate on listening to the music when that's all you have. I can always find liner notes and session information on the internet anyway.

User
    Of course, downloading doesn't mean you can't also buy albums. The great thing about eMusic is that for not very much money, you can take a chance on something that you might otherwise pass over.
    Hip To It!

Quote Originally Posted by tt69
    While I miss having the aforementioned information in my hand while I'm listening to it, I've also found that it's easier to concentrate on listening to the music when that's all you have. I can always find liner notes and session information on the internet anyway.
    Two very good points indeed!

:: Peder
    Peder E. Horner, M.D.
    Jazz Webcaster
    Classic Jazz Corner: www.classicjazzcorner.com

Quote Originally Posted by BFrank
    Of course, downloading doesn't mean you can't also buy albums. The great thing about eMusic is that for not very much money, you can take a chance on something that you might otherwise pass over.
    BFrank -- I think what you say above captures this perfectly. I was told as a music major to pick a good number of works to listen to over and over again to really become familar with but to also listen to a lot of music even though it might be only one listening. This approach works in many fields -- if you want to become an expert photographer, have a selected number of books to read that you really understand and then others that you just skim through -- and then study a number of photographs in detail as well going to lots of exhibits were you only see artworks once and for maybe only a few seconds for each one.

eMusic gives one a freedom of expanding their library to include a lot of great jazz -- maybe one only listens to it once or twice -- but then that's the case when you go to a jazz concert. Then the jazz music you really want to dig into can be bought as a regular CD with liner notes.

eMusic is a great supplemental tool -- at $20 for 90 tracks -- it works out great -- particularly if one concentrates on albums of 10 or less tracks of which they have thousands.

A little off-topic, this has helped me to really explore Indian Classical -- which is a close cousin, in a way, to jazz -- it is improvisational. At eMusic I can get 20 or 30 Indian albums (many of which are 2 or 3 tracks) and expose myself to a great quantity and then buy something like the 4 CD nimbus Raga Guide which allows me to really learn. Same approach with jazz.

User
    Exactly, Music Lover.

How many times in the past have you browsed your favorite music store, seen a whole lot of albums that looked interesting, but you weren't willing to fork over $12-20 just to take a chance? You usually end up buying what you know and all of that uneard music just sits on the shelf.

eMusic is fantastic for exploring.
    Hip To It!

Bartòk fan blowin' thru town

Question

I went to eMusic's web site but couldn't get the answer to one important question.

It says these are MP3's. If I wanted something that I could play on a "regular" CD player, e.g. in my truck or on my stereo, can I get these there? Or is there a way of converting MP3 to CD Audio without significant loss of sound?

These questions may sound ignorant. For various reasons, I've never gotten around to exploring the world of downloadable music. This eMusic outfit sounds intriguing in that they insist that artists do get paid.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by ConcordSonata
    I went to eMusic's web site but couldn't get the answer to one important question.

It says these are MP3's. If I wanted something that I could play on a "regular" CD player, e.g. in my truck or on my stereo, can I get these there? Or is there a way of converting MP3 to CD Audio without significant loss of sound?

These questions may sound ignorant. For various reasons, I've never gotten around to exploring the world of downloadable music. This eMusic outfit sounds intriguing in that they insist that artists do get paid.

Thanks in advance!
    You can certainly convert MP3's to "regular" music files (.wav files for Windows, .aiff files for Macintosh). Lots of programs do this, but IMO the easiest way is to get Apple Computer's iTunes, which is available for both Windows and Macintosh systems. It's a free download at http://www.apple.com/itunes/

You can just download MP3's from eMusic (follow eMusic's instructions), drop the MP3s in your iTunes music library, and burn "regular" audio CDs right from iTunes.

iTunes can help you organize your digital music, burn it to CD, and also gives you automatic access to the iTunes Music store as an additional resource for acquiring digital music. Music from the iTunes music store is pricier than some other digital music outlets, but may be right for you. Whatever; you don't have to use the music store feature of iTunes at all, if you don't want to - you can just use the software to burn audio, if you like.

Prediction: you're gonna LOVE the whole digital music thing.