Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essential Monk

Essential Monk

I posted Chris Slawecki's Building a Jazz Library piece on Thelonious Monk today. See...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=2065

If you have a favorite Monk album that isn't listed, please post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by xricci
    If you have a favorite Monk album that isn't listed, please post it here.
    Nope - as a starting point from which to explore, those dozen albums pretty much do it for me!

Chris's selections are great, though I've got a soft spot for Thelonious Alone in San Francisco (on Riverside) and several of the Columbia albums.

I would add "Criss Cross", which is my favorite Monk Columbia album. And "Misterioso" and "Thelonious In Action", which feature Monk live at the Five Spot with Johnny Griffin, are superb. Monk was a very consistent artist, and many of his albums are well worth having.

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk (Atlantic). My first introduction to Monk's music and still a favourite today.

Edit: Get the remastered version ('99), which includes 3 alternate takes.
    Regards

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LAL
    Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk (Atlantic). My first introduction to Monk's music and still a favourite today.

Edit: Get the remastered version ('99), which includes 3 alternate takes.

AMEN to that!!!
    Mule Walk & Jazz Talk: http://www.thereisjazzbeforetrane.blogspot.com

Random thoughts, casual writings and specific research on early jazz styles. If you think there is no jazz before Coltrane, you may have come to the wrong place

I would add 5 X Monk X 5, a very solid Riverside, and also Monk In Tokyo, reissued a couple years ago on Columbia.

I'd add "straight, no chaser", together with "Monk's dream" my introduction to Monk.

IMHO it contains Monk's most emotional playing on "didn't know about you". And some great lengthy jams ("japanese folk song").

But hey, every Monk's a killer!

Quote Originally Posted by Freek
    I'd add "straight, no chaser",
    IMHO it contains Monk's most emotional playing on "didn't know about you".
    Just happened to listen to that very track last night! I've always thought the same thing - there's a tenderness in Monk's playing on that piece that I've not heard elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by yawuh
    there's a tenderness in Monk's playing on that piece that I've not heard elsewhere.
    Those are the words I was looking for (damn this english language, why don't you all just speak dutch?)

Monk surprises

i think what has always impressed me about Monk's music is his sense of humor TOGETHER WITH his sense of tender romanticism. one without the other would not have been right. the other thing is how funky his music is, how hard it rocks, how easy it would have been to rock and roll too -- not rock and roll in the Chuck Berry sense, but rocking and rolling to the music like Monk himself would do. yeah, the hardest thing about compiling this set was trying to figure what to leave out!

That is an interesting choice of essential Monk CDs.

I agree completely that they are all essential.

But so are the rest!

All the titles listed are great. One that I often play but which has not been mentioned is ' Live At The Village Gate' ( Xanadu). I realise it's hard to find but it is well worth keeping an eye out for.

My first two Monk albums were Thelonious In Action and 5 By Monk By 5, and they are still my two favorites. Maybe nostalgia has something to do with it.
    www.russellmoon.com

I'm partial to Misterioso myself.