Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Random Jazz Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by robmid View Post
    Yeah, but quality is in the ear of the behearer. However, a quality album you might like is "The Way of the Sly Man" By Dave Morgan. A wonderful album in every way. Maybe about here on the spectrum:

L • • • • • • • • • | o • • • • • • • • • • R

Cheers,
    Dave Morgan is a monster player. I haven't seen him nearly enough since moving to Cleveland.
    When I grow up, I want to be like Roy Haynes.

Near San Francisco in the Santa Cruz Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Jenkins View Post
    Random thought...it's hilarious that when Columbia looked at the bill for a Miles recording (On The Corner?) they questioned his right to charge for the 'arrangements'...'There are no arrangements!' they said...heh-heh...
    That is kinda funny. You know when the On the Corner Box set came out there was enough stuff for a couple different albums and IMHO they released the wrong album!

Much prefer:

Mr. Foster
    Chieftan
    Turnaround
    Hip Skip
    Jabali

More listenable to these ears. Think Columbia ought to release this as a single CD someday.

Cheers,
    RM

I like what I like. Is that such a crime?
    Favorite Jazz Recordings - www.actionplan.com/jazz.html

You could be right there....although releasing those on one CD wouldn't make them as much money of course because completists will shell out for the boxes. The back catalogue's a labyrinth, as you know.
    http://includemeout2.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by NewJazz4Mike View Post
    I'm a big fan of Conrad Herwig and his "Latin side" releases... Another Kind Of Blue, Que Viva Coltrane, Sketches of Spain Y Mas, The latin Side of John Coltrane, The latin Side of Wayne Shorter, and now The Latin Side of Herbie Hancock... what a great idea "latinizing" some of these great composer's works. Seems a no-brainer to cover herbie's music in this series of his. I hope Conrad keeps this series alive ad infinitum. I wouldn't mind hearing his latin take on Mingus next.
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Have the Kind of Blue album but missed the others. Read a great review on the Hancock on Amazon and downloaded it for $5.99. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
    RM

If jazz had a Golden Age, does that mean it's over?

only if gold is your standard

You could be right there....although releasing those on one CD wouldn't make them as much money of course because completists will shell out for the boxes. The back catalogue's a labyrinth, as you know.
    Well, Columbia and Prestige (Concord actually) keep putting out rather insipid collections such as "Love Songs" and such to appeal to those who are new to Miles or casual fans, but other than the boxes haven't shown a lot of creativity in creating new packages such as my "On the Corner Compilation."

I think there are endless possibilities that would appeal to serious Miles fans who don't necessarily want a big unwieldy box set. But that now they've put out the "Behemoth Complete Columbia Collection" they're going to need to get more creative. Of course, in about 10 years we have the 60th anniversary Kind of Blue and the 50th anniversary of Bitches Brew. It will all be in some kind of 3-D by then.

Cheers,
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by gjudd View Post
    only if gold is your standard
    It's the only worthwhile currency in music, surely...

Quote Originally Posted by robmid View Post
    Well, Columbia and Prestige (Concord actually) keep putting out rather insipid collections such as "Love Songs" and such to appeal to those who are new to Miles or casual fans, but other than the boxes haven't shown a lot of creativity in creating new packages such as my "On the Corner Compilation."

I think there are endless possibilities that would appeal to serious Miles fans who don't necessarily want a big unwieldy box set. But that now they've put out the "Behemoth Complete Columbia Collection" they're going to need to get more creative. Of course, in about 10 years we have the 60th anniversary Kind of Blue and the 50th anniversary of Bitches Brew. It will all be in some kind of 3-D by then.

Cheers,
    Depends if anything's left in the vaults...but it seems unlikely...and yes, the only other route they have is technical gimmickery...(yawn)...

If Miles was recording today, his release would be titled "Kinda Blue".

Yeah i guess so, but movies had a Golden Age labelled/assigned to it too (off the top of my head ended bout 1960) and there have been some highly worthwhile and watchable movies made since then, to say the least. Quite a few masterpieces actually.

True enough...I can think of many cinematic masterpieces made after 1960...in film my 'Golden Era' stretches up to the end of the 70s, roughly...ditto Jazz, and I've found very little to match what was done then...it's all subjective of course...

True enough...I can think of many cinematic masterpieces made after 1960...in film my 'Golden Era' stretches up to the end of the 70s, roughly...ditto Jazz, and I've found very little to match what was done then...it's all subjective of course...
    Yeah i was going to cite the 70's as a post-Golden Age period when several unequivocal cinematic masterpieces were made... thought i'd leave it broad though... It's pretty hard (nigh on impossible) to get a consensus on the modern jazz masterpieces of the last twenty or so years, just based on my experience on this board. The world has moved on, and the time of universal golden ages is over, for now.

I've been listening to George Russell a good part of the afternoon - especially "At Beethoven Hall" (1965) which is amazing.

If you want music that's super-substantial and also swings like mad, George is your man. If you've never checked out George Russell, I encourage you to do so!

Cheers,
    RM

It's funny how you can be really into a certain artist, and therefore you should be really into this other artist who ostensibly cut from the same cloth, but you're not. I mean, they could be practically identical, but you love one and are disinterested in the other. Sometimes it makes sense in a "yeah the gap for that particular type of artist has been filled in my life" type of way, but often there is no obvious logic to it.