Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Random Jazz Thoughts

I find there's little logic in taste...some people might assume that because I like Sun Ra I enjoy a lot of screaming atonal discordant discs made by demons of the so-called 'Free' movement...and I don't...
    http://includemeout2.blogspot.com

I think that my dog likes jazz. She's sleeping peacefully next to me while Coltrane's Ascension is on and didn't bat an eye during Ayler's The Copenhagen Tapes. She used to come upstairs to my music room to watch me practice, but hasn't lately. Perhaps my playing is too conservative for her.
    When I grow up, I want to be like Roy Haynes.

Quote Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
    Wish I knew more people in real life who enjoy jazz as much as me.
    I agree with this. There's only one person who I know who actually likes jazz, but he doesn't necessarily listen to it, he just doesn't find it boring.

There's a place I go on holiday every year, and usually go with a friend, and there's usually a live jazz band on at least once a week. We go for a meal, and it's an excuse to watch the live jazz, without my friend getting really bored!

I wish there was a jazz bar in the town I live in. There's a pub which has live music, and it used to be solely jazz, but now they've cashed in, and any artists can play there. I've walked by when they've been playing death metal before, and then the next day a hip-hop performer is there. It's a shame.

Hopefully as I get older, I might meet people who share a similar passion for jazz!

I just picked up Eberhard Weber's "Endless Days". I can't believe how sickeningly beautiful this album is. Maybe it's that outside my window there is transpiring the most joyful of autumn days (gusty winds throwing springlike warmth and colored leaves in all directions while the birds chirp out rounds of applause and encouragement), but I could not have picked a better day to buy this album. It really brings it home just how mediocre much of the ECM catalog is, because this album leaves most ECMs in the shade. Just beautiful.

I had previously owned Colours of Chloe, but I think (if I recall) it was kind of a snoozer. But this album, just glorious. It's reinvigorated my desire to continue digging through the ECM catalog, but also to become more picky with it. No more "nice try" ECMs for this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin V View Post
    I think that my dog likes jazz. She's sleeping peacefully next to me while Coltrane's Ascension is on and didn't bat an eye during Ayler's The Copenhagen Tapes. She used to come upstairs to my music room to watch me practice, but hasn't lately. Perhaps my playing is too conservative for her.
    I was in the basement; I heard something fall upstairs and my wife say something to the dog. When I asked what the dog had done (she's always doing something), my wife said that the dog had bitten a cd that was on the table. What cd, you ask? Steve Turre's Delicious and Delightful. Apparently, the dog didn't realize that the title referred to musical, not nutritional, value.
    When I grow up, I want to be like Roy Haynes.

Cool Off Topic?

There is a forum like that: no such thing as off topic:

http://www.amazon.com/tag/jazz/forum...x1826CVQ69G4R9

AAJ's Spammer Exterminator Tenorman's Avatar
    I was in the basement; I heard something fall upstairs and my wife say something to the dog. When I asked what the dog had done (she's always doing something), my wife said that the dog had bitten a cd that was on the table. What cd, you ask? Steve Turre's Delicious and Delightful. Apparently, the dog didn't realize that the title referred to musical, not nutritional, value.
    What sort of universe do you live in where things fall upstairs. Where I live if I drop something on the stairs it falls downstairs. Must be great if you come home drunk and trip on the bottom step to find yourself sprawled out on the first landing

Birth Controller to the Jazz Community. (click on the underlined text for more information)

Can you post a picture of your dog? She sounds really smart. I would love to see what she looks like!
    I did vocal exercises with my keyboard this afternoon, normally I do this with the computer or just acapella and she just sleeps through all that. Now my cat began running around, chasing after herself so it seemed. Wonder if she thinks I need a piano instead.

Whenever I start practising my guitar I leave the door open a little because I know that our cat, who is usually rolled up in the room, will discreetly get the hell out. At first I was a bit huffed when I realized that she doesn't appreciate the artistic heights I work myself up to, but now I don't mind anymore. (gngngngngngn).

While driving out of Louisville yesterday morning, I had a couple nice little jazz interludes...

First, stopping at Nancy's Bagels to pick up some breakfast and latte's for the road, it was so nice walking in and hearing some bebop playing on the stereo. It immediately brightened my (hungover) morning. That, and just being in a town again where I can get a bagel 'n cream cheese and coffee was a real joy. Not to mention that it was in a coffee shop in Chicago long ago when I first realized how much I needed to be buying jazz and listening to it more, thus beginning a long and very rewarding habit.

Second, driving out of town and hearing NPR's Sunday morning jazz show was also a joy. Pretty much just straight-ahead jazz, full of life and bounce, it also put me into the greatest mood. Normally, first thing upon waking, I prefer either quiet ECM-like ambient jazz or just straight-up ambient electronica or instrumental-folk... music that matches my sleepy frame of mind. But hearing some jazz off new releases really perked me up and made me so glad to be awake (instead of sleeping through my headache) and doing exactly what I was that morning. Even having to hit the strip mall area on the way out of town to buy a few things for the Humane Society and our own home, that jazz really dispelled all the ugliness of the Hurstborne Ave. land of shopping malls vista.

Third, on that same NPR show, I highly recommend Brad Mehldau's "Highway Rider", especially the song "The Falcon Will Fly Again". No prettier tune to listen to driving through the farms and fields of Kentucky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBm1tY8X6WE

Brad Mehldau's "Highway Rider" has rekindled my appreciation for Joshua Redman's playing.

Dumbing Down:The Wide Chasm in Music Appreciation

I was thinking of the huge disparity of what someone posted a while back (don't know where), basically pointing out that:

"it was normal for his grandmother to be familiar, in school, with the concrete musical structure of Beethoven sonatas"

and today, the #1 selection of the "World's Greatest Guitar Riffs", as listed HERE and elsewhere:

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page...uitarriff.html

Now, let me tell you something about the #1 greatest guitar riff of ALL TIME.

Unlike Count Basie and other great riff bands, this riff is not exactly dripping in rhythmic syncopation and variety.

The thematic breakdown, bar-by-bar? A series of banal double stops, the melody line harmonized in P4s.

Basic Melody Notes (each note harmonized in P4s-not that difficult to do-sme note location, next string over):

1st Bar: R, m3, P4
    2nd Bar: R, m3, P5, P4
    3rd Bar: R, m3 P4, m3, R

And that' all there is to it. This is considered the "greatest of ALL TIME" now.

Jazz is definitely behind the 8 ball.

Compose /Arranger / Jazz Prod. Phil Kelly's Avatar
    I like recordings of Harry Partchs Whispering Cloud bells -especially with
    a headset ..

very restful ...

so do my dogs, but they tend to chew on their headsets ....
    Swing ..or I'll kill you ( Bill Potts )
    RIP

The flute on Don Cherry's 'Symphony For Improvisers' is brain meltingly piercing! I don't know if it's just the RVG or what but man does that get under the ol' tooth enamel! And then it goes away for a bit, and then it comes back like little gusts of microscopic razorblades (blowing through the jasmine in my mind)

i find this with miles' trumpet on 'seven steps to heaven'. anyone else?
    -Sam