Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Random Jazz Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kelly View Post
    The whole music scene today doesn't lead young talent naturally into jazz composition.
    I don't understand why there isn't a bigger attraction to composing music. If I had musical talent this is where I feel I'd be spending my energy and time. I may be taking a narrow perspective but I had thought that improvisation is spontaneous composition and that the logical progression for a jazz musician would lead to better compositions and more interest in this field.

Is it because performance is perceived as the pinnacle of musicianship? Or is it the amount of knowledge required to compose at a high level takes many many years to master?

I have trouble naming 20 active composers who are recognized as industry leaders today, let alone naming any who became proficient at an early age.

Compose /Arranger / Jazz Prod. Phil Kelly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I don't understand why there isn't a bigger attraction to composing music. If I had musical talent this is where I feel I'd be spending my energy and time. I may be taking a narrow perspective but I had thought that improvisation is spontaneous composition and that the logical progression for a jazz musician would lead to better compositions and more interest in this field.

Is it because performance is perceived as the pinnacle of musicianship? Or is it the amount of knowledge required to compose at a high level takes many many years to master?

I have trouble naming 20 active composers who are recognized as industry leaders today, let alone naming any who became proficient at an early age.

Homer:

there are a number of reasons for this dearth of "composers" :

1. The media of choice used for composition today is the digital domain. The ccurrent samplers and sequencers are designed to provide a lot of "instant satisfaction" thru the use of loops , drum grooves and samples. Only students serious about learning the traditional basics through a college program or a mentor.

2. Those who ARE serious about composition for the most part dream of scoring films or producing pop records as opposed to composing for live jazz ensembles ( which is a crime considering the level of talent availble in many schools these days )

3. Learning this stuff is HARD -and most younger folks have very short attention spans -not to mention all the various media and cyber distractions:
    Facebook, Twitter, Cable, iPods full of rotten music, etc .

you get the idea ....
    Swing ..or I'll kill you ( Bill Potts )
    RIP

I am tired of old crusty cats getting up on their pedestals and YELLING to everyone else what jazz is. It doesn't matter, the change of music is out of their hands, it's inevitable and it's going to keep happening when they aren't to try to validate themselves.

That is jazz thought I've been having more and more frequently.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
    I am tired of old crusty cats getting up on their pedestals and YELLING to everyone else what jazz is. It doesn't matter, the change of music is out of their hands, it's inevitable and it's going to keep happening when they aren't to try to validate themselves.

That is jazz thought I've been having more and more frequently.
    Assuming that flame was directed at me ...

since when did you become my boss ? and your rant has nothing to do with the previous question ..it was about the lack of young "composers" arriving on the current scene ...

ease off the tweaks, bubba ..no one is YELLING but you !
    RIP

...it had nothing to do with you whatsoever. This is a "random" thought thread that I thought I could just say whatever thought I had.

Even if I had read your post in-depth, I wouldn't put you in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kelly View Post
    Assuming that flame was directed at me ...

since when did you become my boss ? and your rant has nothing to do with the previous question ..it was about the lack of young "composers" arriving on the current scene ...

ease off the tweaks, bubba ..no one is YELLING but you !
    Good grief, Phil. While you're at it, why not scream at him to keep the hell of your lawn, lol.
    And just so you know, those larger fonts with the extra bold, those cost AAJ hundreds of dollars every time you use them. Try to be a bit more frivolous in their application, yeah?

Well, since I'm here, I guess I have to have a random jazz thought. I was gonna make a comment about grumpy big band leaders, but that's clearly a nonstarter around here (), so maybe I'll write about how much I enjoy looking through the shelves for a specific cd, but finding one instead that I'd forgotten that I owned, playing it immediately, and falling in love with it all over again.
    The current example of this wonderful little experience...

Alice Coltrane - "Journey in Satchanadanada"
    (crap, spelling, probably)

Funny. My impression is that many, if not most, of today's generation of jazz artists are composing their own original music, and composition is as much a part of their musical voice as is their playing. I'm thinking of people like Dave Douglas, Chris Potter, Ryan Keberle, Darcy James Argue, Avishai Cohen (both), Kurt Rosenwinkel, Cuong Vu, Guillermo Klein, Miguel Zenón... I could go on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by tpt1 View Post
    Funny. My impression is that many, if not most, of today's generation of jazz artists are composing their own original music, and composition is as much a part of their musical voice as is their playing. I'm thinking of people like Dave Douglas, Chris Potter, Ryan Keberle, Darcy James Argue, Avishai Cohen (both), Kurt Rosenwinkel, Cuong Vu, Guillermo Klein, Miguel Zenón... I could go on and on.
    Y'know, I'm not sure if it's just because I'm entering a serious big band/large ensemble listening binge, but it does seem like there are a lot of new young composers out there these days making some fantastic music. Of course, none of them are under twenty one years of age (that I know of), which I think may have the point up-thread a bit, but still, it's a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by dsschicago View Post
    Y'know, I'm not sure if it's just because I'm entering a serious big band/large ensemble listening binge, but it does seem like there are a lot of new young composers out there these days making some fantastic music. Of course, none of them are under twenty one years of age (that I know of), which I think may have the point up-thread a bit, but still, it's a good point.
    Funny. My impression is that many, if not most, people under the age of 21 are not doing much of anything on the level of Ellington or Strayhorn (or Stevie!). Anywhere. In any field. That's a lot of pressure to put on the under-21 age group!

Quote Originally Posted by dsschicago View Post
    Good grief, Phil. While you're at it, why not scream at him to keep the hell of your lawn, lol.
    And just so you know, those larger fonts with the extra bold, those cost AAJ hundreds of dollars every time you use them. Try to be a bit more frivolous in their application, yeah?
    Aw c'mon ..ask the guys in my band ..I'm basically a pussycat! My bilious response might have something to do with:

1. Having just finished doing my taxes

2. Responding ( or not responding ) to the actual question being discussed at the time .."random thoughts" aside.

I shall in the future limit my application of larger fonts to appropriately frivolous situations ...like baptizing sumo wrestlers !

RIP

I don't even know what to say to all this...

so here's a pickle.

Near San Francisco in the Santa Cruz Mountains
    Ever notice how few jazz albums have the artist smiling on the cover? Sure, there are exceptions. Ahamad is looking pretty happy here:

And John is giving us a sly smile here:

And Stanley Turrentine is ridiculously happy here:

But what about the not so happy looking jazzers?

Sonny looks serious

Miles is not smiling

Mingus looks mad

Sonny Criss looks cross

Shorter looks sullen

Woody looks negative

Morgan looks menacing

Freddie looks forlorn

Carla and crew look lost

Brian looks bewildered

And of course....

Coltrane looks like a zombie

What's up with that?

Cheers,
    RM

I like what I like. Is that such a crime?
    Favorite Jazz Recordings - www.actionplan.com/jazz.html

Near San Francisco in the Santa Cruz Mountains
    Hope the above post wasn't a thread stopper! Mea Culpa.

Not seeing a lot of activity on the forum for a few days....

Cheers,
    RM

I like what I like. Is that such a crime?
    Favorite Jazz Recordings - www.actionplan.com/jazz.html

I want to do a jazz album of all Incubus songs. I have a bunch picked out that would be cool to arrange and solo over.

This has been an idea of mine that hasn't gone away but hasn't gone anywhere either.

My ride cymbal playing has been really shitty as of late.

I took everything away from my drum kit until all I had left is my bass drum, snare drum, hats and ride cymbal.

I positioned the ride cymbal so close in and at almost the same level as the snare drum that playing the cymbal and the snare is almost like playing one instrument. It's a whole different way to play.

Seriously, it's great.