Thread: Blue Note 45 RPM Vinyl

Blue Note 45 RPM Vinyl

Hi folks ... How is the sound quality of the Blue Note reissues on 45 rpm vinyl? There are a few titles I would love to get, but at $50 a pop plus shipping they would have to be outstanding. Have any of you jazz heads listened to any of these? What do you think?

Regards, CJ

I've got a few of them, almost exclusively from Music Matters. If you're curious and want to check one out that is the company you should give your money to. They are hands down the best reissues available today by anyone.
    The covers alone are almost worth the money spent. They are gatefold covers as opposed to the 2 lps in one slot version by their competitor and they feature large prints of photographs from the sessions in high resoltion detail. I think they sound spectacular. Whether you agree or not will depend on many variables so you'll have to check them out yourself to find out.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by six string View Post
    I've got a few of them, almost exclusively from Music Matters. If you're curious and want to check one out that is the company you should give your money to. They are hands down the best reissues available today by anyone.
    The covers alone are almost worth the money spent. They are gatefold covers as opposed to the 2 lps in one slot version by their competitor and they feature large prints of photographs from the sessions in high resoltion detail. I think they sound spectacular. Whether you agree or not will depend on many variables so you'll have to check them out yourself to find out.
    Total agreement!
    "Don't play what's there, play what's not there.”
    Miles Davis

Quote Originally Posted by six string View Post
    I also agree. If you have the chance to pick these up, OP, definitely do it. I'm hoping to find more of these myself.

I have about 40 of the Blue Note 45 RPM pressings both from Analogue Productions and Music Matters. Whilst the covers are nicer from MM, the sound quality and pressings from both series are absolutely first rate. Of all the vinyl I own, these pressings are at the top end. Just the weight and feel of the vinyl is something else. I cannot see why you would be disappointed with these as they sound wonderful.

I will soon be putting in an order for another batch as they are a pleasure to own.

Registered User 128Bit_Encryption's Avatar
    On the money. The price is a little steep but the sonic quality of the recordings are awesome. And as mentioned, the cover and graphics are worth the ticket. But I'm glad I have the originals I bought back in the day.....

"When you hear music, after it's over, it's gone in the air; you can never recapture it again" -Eric Dolphy, Hilversum, Holland, 2 June1964

Other Blue Note vinyl reissues

Hi folks ... I picked up four of the 45 rpm reissues from MusicMatters and they all sound wonderful.

On another note, I was browsing through a local music store and found a bunch of new (not used) Blue Note 33 1/3 rpm vinyl reissues, each for $11. There is not date on the covers or the discs as to when they were reissued or any other info other than the historical liner notes. They don't sound as good, but they don't sound bad either. Anyone know anything about these releases?

Blue Note 45s

One thing about the 45s, they're definitely the highest quality pressing of any of those albums you'll ever hear. But they can't fix the ones that were poorly recorded in the first place. Coltrane's Blue Trane is amazingly good, especially next to any CD ever released. On the other hand, Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage sounds terrible and was a real disappointment after it was released eight months late, and still cost $50. The recording quality is just a travesty for such a great album. RVG must have been having a bad day or something.