Thread: Help for a musically illiterate fan understand Wes Montgomery?

Registered User Honest Marsh-wiggle's Avatar

Help for a musically illiterate fan understand Wes Montgomery?

(So I'm next to musically illiterate, but I've been enjoying the world of jazz for a few years now. Consequently I have read some music theory, and been exposed to the normal discussions in liner notes and commentaries. But I'm still both curious and clueless about many aspects of music.)

I'm trying to understand Wes's use of "octaves" and "block chords"... What made them so difficult? What should I be listening for to tell the difference? I know what an octave is, but what was he doing with them that was special? Is using these techniques still considered outstanding, or have they become part of normal jazz-guitar playing?

Thanks for any help.
    -Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Marsh-wiggle View Post
    have they become part of normal jazz-guitar playing?
    Yes.

(So I'm next to musically illiterate, but I've been enjoying the world of jazz for a few years now. Consequently I have read some music theory, and been exposed to the normal discussions in liner notes and commentaries. But I'm still both curious and clueless about many aspects of music.)

I'm trying to understand Wes's use of "octaves" and "block chords"... What made them so difficult? What should I be listening for to tell the difference? I know what an octave is, but what was he doing with them that was special? Is using these techniques still considered outstanding, or have they become part of normal jazz-guitar playing?

Thanks for any help.
    He plays a note an its octave simultaneously, strumming with his thumb. If you listen to his playing youll hear how it gives a fuller sound. If you have a guitar, try it out!
    http://taimapedia.org/index.php?title=Timelines

Registered User Honest Marsh-wiggle's Avatar
    Thanks guys.
    -Luke

Fans of Wes might like this site:

http://www.wesmontgomery.com/

Wes was a supreme melodist, one of the best in ALL of Jazz. Sense of time and swing was impeccable. Supple, effortless lines, always surprising. Very "hip" ideas and never far away from the blues, of which he was an undisputed master. Some may prefer the histrionics of Benson, or the cerebral relentlessness or Martino or Pass, but Montgomery frequently heads Jazz polls for favorite guitarist. The Charlie Parker of guitar.....

Octaves and block chords aren't remotely difficult, but playing them fast with just your thumb is challenging. If you don't actually play jazz guitar I wouldn't worry about this stuff too much. Everything you need is on the records. If you've listened to a lot of Wes and also familiarised yourself with his musical milieu (his influences, his collaborators, the generation of playing that grew up imitating him) then all the theory and liner note stuff is kind of superfluous.
    The main thing I learnt in music school is that theory doesn't help you understand music so much as music helps you understand theory.
    Guitarist

Performer/Teacher
    I'm trying to understand Wes's use of "octaves" and "block chords"... What made them so difficult? ...
    Others had used both before. But Wes did them with such fluidity, melodiousness, and "groove" that it set a new standard. No one had heard them used in that way before.

Peace,
    Kevin