Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morris Nanton

Morris Nanton

Morris Nanton will be appearing at SAWADEE Thai Cuisine 400 Main St Metuchen NJ on Sunday June 27 6:00 pm-9:00pm....He will be joined by his longtime bass player Norman Edge.....no cover....great jazz and great Thai Food

Morris Nanton - a blast from my New Jersey past - used to be Morris, Norman Edge and Ronnie Bedford on drums at The Cove in Roselle Park, NJ! Glad to hear he's still playing!!!

Marla

I just posted this article today...

The Morris Nanton Trio: Forty-Eight Years of Musical Rapport by Joseph Bendel

What a treat to read a story about Morris Nanton and Norman Edge. My Uncle Phil was the bartender at the Cove in Roselle Park, NJ for many years and he was able to hear Nanton and Edge all the time. On occasion, I'd be allowed in and this was probably my first live jazz. If I'm not mistaken, jazz greats such as Sarah Vaughan would stop in at the Cove when in the neighborhood.

Marla

The Morris Nanton Trio

I spent many many cool hours listening to the Morris Nanton trio at the Cove in Roselle (no park). Roselle was my home town. What a treat it was for me to return home to find this great great music playing weekly in my home town. I began to live at the Cove. I was there 3-4 nights a week. I missed a chance to pick up some of their music years ago in Vogels in Elizabeth. Sorry to read that it is not available on CD. I urge Morris and the guys to get into a studio and get some music down on CD.

I lost touch with the guys after they left the Cove, but now that I know where they are, I will make my way to the new gig in the very near future.

bbsunrise

Catch Morris anywhere you can. I had a chance to study with him in the '60s and his influence has always stayed with me. A fantastic musician and a great man.

I knew Morris, Norman and "Uncle Phil"

Marla:
    I knew your uncle. He was called "Fill 'em up Phil." His favorite expression was "horses**t & bananas"

I was privileged to "hang out" at the Cove from 1966-1977, and knew both Morris Nanton and Norman Edge. Norman's favorite beer was Heineken. There were two drummers at the time, first Al Beldini, who was excellent, as well as comical, and secondly John Dent who had some serious "chops."

Morris Nanton is a "Tour de Force" and always looked 15 years younger than he was (37 at the time). Morris was from St. Lucia, where I was on special assignment, and so when I got back to the states, I told him where I was, and he divulged his heritage.

I always wish Morris and Norman the very best.

Rich from Rockford

Hi Rich,

Wow, thanks! I'll copy/paste your note and send to my Cousin Cary, Phil and Betty's son. My dad frequented The Cove around the same time as you - Eddy Kleman.

Take Care,
    Marla

The Cove

Marla,

I new your Uncle Phil also. My grandparents (Sam and Ruth Tarlowe) owned the Cove and Roselle Lanes. I went there often from the time I was an infant until my Uncle ( Bruce Tarlowe) sold it off. Your Uncle Phil was part of my 'extended family' of people who worked at the Cove and the Bowling Alley. There were some people who worked there for decades...... Phil also was the bartender at many of my family events ( birthdays, anniversary parties, etc. ) since we always had them at the Cove.....

Paul Bookman

Sad news

Morris passed away on November 15th.

Pianist Morris Nanton Dies at 80
    Discover Jazz Near You! | Visit All About Jazz.

I remeber Morris..... (like clifford)

I'm so sorry and sad to hear that Morris has passed on.......
    He was a great influence and mentor in my early musical career.
    He was a very large, and good friend.,
    who played drums nearly as well as I did..
    I used to be a super sub when Ronnie Bedford left town, which was fairly often.
    But I always remember this....
    Moriis always accepted me as an equal.......
    Eveen though I was twenty three at the time.......

And I was no equal.........
    Moriis once told me 35 years ago that the reason he let me play was becaude of....... "Enthusiam"
    He said.....
    "You dont really have the chops...... but you sure as hell have the heart"

I really dont want to get in , or what went down, and why I never came back.... But Norman Edge ain't my next canidate for saint hood..
    His obit.......
    I'm looking forward to.

I left Mo... and moved on......
    Had a good career...
    Played with Dexter Gordon, Budd Johnson, Barry Harris, and Milt Jackson ....among others......
    So bite me Norman.

Sttill,
    Im very sad that Mo's passed.....
    I did not know him when he was married........
    but I will say this:

You two kids had the coolest dad on the planet........

Thanks for listening to this rant.

Kenny Nolan

Question

Quote Originally Posted by RLigus View Post
    Marla:
    I knew your uncle. He was called "Fill 'em up Phil." His favorite expression was "horses**t & bananas"

I was privileged to "hang out" at the Cove from 1966-1977, and knew both Morris Nanton and Norman Edge. Norman's favorite beer was Heineken. There were two drummers at the time, first Al Beldini, who was excellent, as well as comical, and secondly John Dent who had some serious "chops."

Morris Nanton is a "Tour de Force" and always looked 15 years younger than he was (37 at the time). Morris was from St. Lucia, where I was on special assignment, and so when I got back to the states, I told him where I was, and he divulged his heritage.

I always wish Morris and Norman the very best.

Rich from Rockford
    i'm just reading this thread for the first time. started out so exciting (especially for my good friend Marla) and then so sad. such is life. was that drummer actually John Dent or could it have been John Dentz?

The drummer was John Dentz

A local legend here in Jersey.......He was another guy Norman didn't get along with.......
    Had a fine career.....Played with Stan Getz back in the late 70's and early eighties......
    Stan put it best when he said to me one night........

"On any night this guy is freakin unbelieveable........."

I played at the Cove pretty soon after that.
    I used to sub for Ronnie Bedford when he was out of town.....

Played multi dozens of times there.

And I'm gonna miss MO......
    He was a very early mentor, who gave me a good hard shove down my eventual career path.

I enjoyed being in the musical presence of this man more than life itself.......
    Enjoy heaven Mo.......
    I hear they've got a hell of a band up there.

Kenny Nolan

The drummer was John Dentz

Kenny is correct. I stand corrected. The drummer was John Dentz.

Also, for Paul, having been a regular at the Cove, I knew Bruce Tarlowe, a cool guy who sponsored Morris over the years, and gave him a "home."

Rich

Also, here's a link to Morris Nanton's myspace page, which will give you two songs of his wonderful playing...

http://www.myspace.com/morrisnantontrio

And here's a link to a youtube video of a song from Morris Nanton's "Soul Fingers". Man, it is really good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmVNA26OX1c

It looks like there's a couple other Nanton songs on youtube, which I'll be checking out next.