Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joe Locke 2-Part Interview @ AAJ

Joe Locke 2-Part Interview @ AAJ

I just finished posting John Kelman's outstanding 2-part interview with vibraphonist Joe Locke.

If you're a fan of Joe's music, the vibes, or simply want to make some jazz vibes recommendations, please post here.

I'm not familiar with his work on Steeplechase and just delved into his recordings on Sirocco. Of the rest, I'd highly recommend The Willow (OmniTone), Mutual Admiration Society (Sharp Nine), and Slander (Milestone).

The disc with Hazeltine is very good. I also enjoyed Locke's contributions on a bunch of Eddie Henderson CDs. I also enjoyed one of his Sirrocco discs, Beauty Burning.

Joe Locke - Sirocco Music

Beauty Burning, a fine record, was Joe's first for Sirocco. But while it and the two Storytelling disks are recommended, if you really want to hear an artist who has arrived, check out (all on Sirocco):

Tim Garland - Storms/Nocturnes (with Joe and Geoff Keezer on piano)
    Tim Garland and Storms/Nocturnes - Rising Tide (trio plus string quartet on 2 tracks)

and especially his latest project:

Joe Locke - 4 Walls of Freedom (Joe, Bob Berg, James Genus, Gary Novack)
    Joe Locke & 4 Walls of Freedom - Dear Life (Joe, Gary, Tommy Smith and Ed Howard)

These records, as the interview attests, really represent quantum leaps for Joe both as a player and composer. His writing is highly personal, and one of the remarkable things about the two 4 Walls disks is how, with a 50% change in personnel, and despite the obvious fact that they players all have strong personalities, they still sound like the same band.

Best,
    John

Joe Locke -Sirocco Music

Quote Originally Posted by jazzworks3
    I don't understand.

I Don't Understand

Jazzworks3 was correcting my gaff, where my post originally referenced Sirocco Records, when it should have been Sirocco Music. I have since edited my original post and made the correction.
    Sorry all, I of all people should have known better!
    John

Let's see some action

Hey all,
    Let's try and get something going here. Aside from checking out Joe, how about what vibes records moved you the most?

For me, one of the vibes records I heard early on, that was a huge mover and shaker for me, was Gary Burton Quintet, Ring, with Eberhard Weber guesting. The group was Steve Swallow, Mick Goodrick, a very-young Pat Metheny and Bob Moses. From the opening track, Goodrick's "Mevlevia," I was hooked; the reading of Carla Bley's "Silent Spring" is haunting and dark, and their version of Eberhard Weber's "Colours of Chloe" may well be the definitive version.

I went on to check out earlier Burton disks, and at an early age came onto Duster, Lofty Fake Anagram and Genuine Tong Funeral, all of which are very, very good.

There are others, but it had to be those records that got me deep into the vibes. That, and my father taking me to a concert at a local university theatre, featuring Bobby Hutcherson with Leon "Ndugu" Chancler and Harold Land; can't remember when it was, but I know I was young. I remember Ndugu with a big grin on his face for the whole show. I remember picking up San Francisco, on Blue Note, and loving it. It's one of the few Blue Note that's available that I don't have...have to pick it up sometime!

Best,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman
    Jazzworks3 was correcting my gaff, where my post originally referenced Sirocco Records, when it should have been Sirocco Music. I have since edited my original post and made the correction.
    Sorry all, I of all people should have known better!
    John
    Hey John,

No correction intended. This was my feeble attempt at sending my first posting on AAJ. Damn fingers! (have to question the old brain as well).

Thanks for the splendid interview on Joe. He really is someone that has paid his dues over and over again and any success he is getting now is only what is deserved. He has long been recognised as a leading guy by all the musicians - and of course anybody that has seen him perform live. The recent recordings give a bigger audience an opportunity to hear his wonderful work.

While the 4 Walls of Freedom projects have definitely caught the public's ear, the other recordings you mention more than substantiate his abilities as a performer and writer...especially the Tim Garland trio outings.

You may like to know that he is also featured on two Sirocco recordings by the group New York Connexion, an ensemble that has Robin Eubanks as it's nominated leader. The first album is "Along Came Jones" a tribute to the Jones Brothers (Elvin, Hank and Thad). This had Geri Allen, Wallace Roney, Craig Handy, Lonnie Plaxico, Gene Jackson, Robin and Joe as featured members. The second, "Crossing the Bridge", was a tour de force of an outing and featured, besides Joe and Robin, Antonio Hart, Craig Handy, Michael Cain, Lonnie Plaxico and Billy Kilson.

Looking forward to the next Locke recording.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzworks3
    Hey John,

No correction intended. This was my feeble attempt at sending my first posting on AAJ. Damn fingers! (have to question the old brain as well).

Thanks for the splendid interview on Joe. He really is someone that has paid his dues over and over again and any success he is getting now is only what is deserved. He has long been recognised as a leading guy by all the musicians - and of course anybody that has seen him perform live. The recent recordings give a bigger audience an opportunity to hear his wonderful work.

While the 4 Walls of Freedom projects have definitely caught the public's ear, the other recordings you mention more than substantiate his abilities as a performer and writer...especially the Tim Garland trio outings.

You may like to know that he is also featured on two Sirocco recordings by the group New York Connexion, an ensemble that has Robin Eubanks as it's nominated leader. The first album is "Along Came Jones" a tribute to the Jones Brothers (Elvin, Hank and Thad). This had Geri Allen, Wallace Roney, Craig Handy, Lonnie Plaxico, Gene Jackson, Robin and Joe as featured members. The second, "Crossing the Bridge", was a tour de force of an outing and featured, besides Joe and Robin, Antonio Hart, Craig Handy, Michael Cain, Lonnie Plaxico and Billy Kilson.

Looking forward to the next Locke recording.
    Seems like there is a lot of activity around Joe Locke of late. Personally I agree it's overdue. He's a monster musician.

Locke, Mainieri, and Steve Nelson are my favourites. Stefon is still developing - it's early days and he is talented.

With all the emphasis that is placed on piano or sax players I guess some people could need pursuading to buy a "vibes" led recording. Give it a try, especially given some of the great musicians that have recorded with the ones mentioned above.

Thanks for the lead on the New York Connexion Sirocco recordings.

Joe Locke

What does everyone think about Dear Life and the extrodinary group of players that Joe has put together? Tommy Smith is one of the few GREAT tenor players with a operatic sound, Gary Novak is amazing for not only his kick-in-the-pants drive, but also his incredible cymbly work that is always filling in the tempo but not in way of the soloist. Ed Howard is a rock with drive and a soulful solist.
    A world class band!

Joe Locke's web site is: www.joelocke.com

Dear Life

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello
    What does everyone think about Dear Life and the extrodinary group of players that Joe has put together? Tommy Smith is one of the few GREAT tenor players with a operatic sound, Gary Novak is amazing for not only his kick-in-the-pants drive, but also his incredible cymbly work that is always filling in the tempo but not in way of the soloist. Ed Howard is a rock with drive and a soulful solist.
    A world class band!
    I'm with you. While my review of Dear Life, a couple of months back, may have been a little harsh (well, not harsh, but overly comparative) in its comparison of Tommy to Bob and Ed to James (Genus), time and more spins has made me appreciate the new incarnation of 4 Walls every bit as much as the first record. Tommy is, contrary to my original assertion, every bit as passionate and intense as Bob, but in a different way. Ed swings his ass off, and as Joe so aptly gives credit in his interview, one of the reasons why the second 4 Walls disk still sounds like a 4 Walls album is, in no small part, due to Gary's contribution.

John

I've seen Locke a couple of times with Tim Garland. Never really excited me though perfectly pleasant. I was going to see 4 Walls of Freedom at the Cheltenham Festival this year but there was a half hour delay which knocked my schedule out so I went and ate a piece of lemon merangue pie instead!!! My mistake, it would seem. All reports said it was superb! I'll have to give the CD a try.

I'd echo jkelman's enthusiasm for 'Ring', a superb album with marvellous compositions and great playing. The follow up, 'Passengers', is good too though the tunes arn't quite as strong. I also like Weber's 'Fluid Rustle' - a very calm record which sets Burton and Bill Frisell against the voices of Norma Winstone and one Bonnie Herman (never heard of her since!).

Locke and 4 Walls

Joe and 4 Walls will be back in the UK in the near future, a week at Ronnie Scott's and some other UK dates. Watch out....they're meant to be one hot ticket!
    John

all Joe Locke stuff

Check out Joe Locke's Website (www.joelocke.net) for all 2004 and 2005 tourdates, news, bio, photo gallery and complete discography. We are doing our best to update the site frequently! Come along and learn more about this fantastic artist and his music...

Joe Locke in the U.K.

Here is Joe Locke and 4 Walls of Freedom's schedule for performances in the U.K. this fall along with a poster for their appearance at Ronnie Scotts.

October 22 Peterborough, England Peterborough Jazz Club
    October 24 Cork, Ireland Cork Jazz Festival
    November 22-27 London Ronnie Scott's
    November 30 - December 4 Sheffield, England One Eleven Club

Joe Locke and 4 Walls Of Freedom
    Joe Locke - Vibes
    Tommy Smith - Tenor
    Ed Howard - Bass
    Gary Novak - Drums

Visit Joe web sites at : www.joelocke.com & www.joelocke.net for all of the updates including a February U.S. West Coast Tour and March Italian Tour with Dave Kikoski on piano.